Author Topic: Gingie's Build Thread  (Read 198007 times)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
Re: Jordanian Falcon 2
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 01:42:13 AM »
 Splendid build - I gather this is going into production? What are the curve of little black dinguses along
 either top side of the turret bustle/magazine? They look too small to be smoke candles, and too huge
 to be bolts, surely?

Offline Diavel

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: RCAF Bobcat Air Defence Vehicle
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 03:39:13 AM »
 :-* COOOOL
Liking this Gingie, LAV's and big Gatling guns in the same sentence?? looking forward to what you do with this one
Chris 
Just call me the thread killer.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 06:39:03 AM »
Thanks guys! Doom, the trick to making it look easy is I control the camera angles. Trust me  - there's many a flaw to be found on this one, I just don't advertise them  :)

Fast forward to the completed build. Added the following bits
- scratchbuilt exhaust can more similar to a later Bison than AVGP;
- hull-mounted Aircon unit;
- ranging RADAR from the M-163;
- M-163 sights with a canvas dust cover sculpted from green stuff;
- engine screens cut from the mesh of an old fuel filter;
- a SAM launcher made from parts of a FIST-V army and a Bradley TUA, with 3 x SAM tubes;
- ammo feed chute sculpted from apoxie-sculpt; and
- AoA bolts from a Tichy set

The SAM launcher is articulated. The launch 'tray' fold between horizontal and vertical, and when horizontal, can elevate/depress. The launch arm is on a poly cap and simply pivots up or down.

Offline Gingie

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 07:01:49 AM »
Dr Yokai - they are indeed Smoke Grenades!

Offline Gingie

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 07:08:35 AM »
Here's the SBS for the turret and the paint. I'll hit the highlights, but I think the pics are pretty much self-explanatory. Any Q's, fire away!

Turret structure is .040, and laminated using CA glue. The black markered slope is used as a sanding aid

The gun is an RB 120mm from a Leopard - its not the same as the Ruag gun on the Falcon, but its pretty close.

Turret skinned and sanded smooth
[/url]

Offline Gingie

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2012, 07:18:51 AM »
Dremel tool 'lathe'. A section of sprue gets chucked in the tool and is spun against various files and knvies to shape the wind sensor for the turret. My dremel is a single-speed unit hooked into a sewing machine pedal. This lets me keep the rpm's low enough to avoid melting the plastic.

This unit housing dual rotating ammo bins. The hatch on the back is where the spent 120mm casing is ejected...would not want to be a grunt and get boinked on the head with one of those!

More dremel fun. I could not figure out an easy way to make the curved smoke grenade launchers (SGL) on each side of the turret. So I figured out a hard way. Laminate a few sheets of .040 and cut roughly into a circle. Drill though the middle of that circle and insert a dremel tool bit. Spin against sanding paper to get a more-or-less circle shape.

Keeping it in the dremel, shape the bevel on the upper and lower halves to match the angles of the SGL

Throw away 95% of what I just made and cut two identical segments from the perimeter of the circle. Drill holes for the SGL. Pray that I made them symmetrical. Realize I didn't and vow to never photograph them from an angle where you can tell they don't really line up...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 07:22:10 AM by Gingie »

Offline Gingie

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2012, 07:27:32 AM »
Sight & hatch details...

Weld beads are made from stretched sprue and liquid cemented in place. Using a soldering iron hooked up to a dimmer switch, I can set the current low enough to heat the tip where it will texture the weld bead only where it is contacted.

Offline Gingie

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »
Picture of the turret I was basing mine on:

3-tone cam scheme I wanted to try. Nowadays, Jordan uses a funky digital scheme. Google Jordanian Challenger and you'll see what I mean.

Offline Gingie

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2012, 07:41:29 AM »
Painting process

1. Basecoat in main colour

2. Spray on secondary camouflage colour; do not worry about overspray

3. Spray on third colour, again, just get it down roughly where it needs to be

4. Using a highly thinned, and therefore easy to spray in a tight pattern, touch-up all overspray of 2nd and 3rd colour. Then mix up the second colour and touch up the edges of the 3rd colour boundary.

5. Mix up a watery dark brown mix and a 3 watered-down lighter mixes of the camouflage colours and spray in streaks and squiggles

6. Mix up your pure base colours and thin to a water consistency, and re-spray, toning down the effect in step 5

7. using various pastels, add dust streaks and paint chips, etc. I find this effect is getting played out now, and am looking for a new way of finishing that is less about showing how many weathering techniques can be displayed, and more about showing a realistic looking vehicle.

Offline Gingie

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2012, 07:45:14 AM »
Also, a word on photos. There's some amazing work here that is let down by their photos. I'm using a 13 year old Nikon 995, a cheap tripod, a sheet of graduated paper, and some $10 desk lamps. The Nikon 990-995 series of twisting body camera's is fantastic for still life photos...best of all, they can be had all over ebay for around $150 or so.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2012, 08:04:14 AM »
That yellow plastic card stock that you are using.  Is that something that is available commercially? 

I used to see a lot of that as envelope stiffeners for satellite imagery a long time ago and quite some distance from where I am now.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2012, 08:09:35 AM »
Wicked!  Certainly looks menacing.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Gingie

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2012, 10:26:17 AM »
Jeff, the yellow sheets are .040 Styrene, around 4" x 8", and came to me by way of a RCAF Intelligence MWO....

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 10:55:01 AM »
Thank you for sharing your in progress shots, I really enjoy seeing how others tackle thier builds. I really need more time to play!
Doom!
Jeff G.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 11:24:23 AM »
Jeff, the yellow sheets are .040 Styrene, around 4" x 8", and came to me by way of a RCAF Intelligence MWO....

:)

I still have a Xerox paper box full of that card stock but all of mine was white at the time shipped back from my last assignment in Germany with the 497th RTG USAFE in a little town on the river between Wiesbaden and Mainz.  I discovered the yellow stuff during a visit to the NPIC in Washington D.C.  It was piled up and collecting dust just like the white card stock that I took home with me. 

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 01:29:30 PM »
Yep. And I love that Apoxie-Sculpt feed chute  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Gingie

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2012, 03:40:23 AM »
cheers guys!

Here's the Bobcat in a factory fresh scheme. Much dirt and dust to follow.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2012, 12:29:17 AM »
This model is the reason I bought your book  :D Great to have you here  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Gingie

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2012, 01:16:54 AM »
All mucked up!

Missiles in the transport position

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2012, 01:42:18 AM »
book? what book? i must have one!!!!!
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2012, 01:50:08 AM »
Amazing work and done by Mk 1 eyeball you say... very impressive.  Superb pain job too.  Very well done.  :)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2012, 01:55:33 AM »
Awesome!  As an RAF Regt man myself and an ex-Air Defender (Rapier SAM), I am tickled that an RCAF entry has muscled into the LAND section.  Great model and superb finish.  Well done indeed.  :)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Gingie

« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2012, 03:01:43 AM »
Claymore - thanks for the kinds words! I was ex-Air Defence too; primarily ADATS, but was also in a Javelin S-15 regt for a while.

In Canada, many of the positions used to create 4th Air Defence Regt, (an Army unit) were taken from the RCAF, as the Regt's primary role was defence of the RCAF Airfields in Germany.

In the years following the creation of 4 AD Regt, not only had Canada pulled out of Germany, but as I've mentioned before, the Army no longer maintains any GBAD systems. I'm not even sure who provides airfield security (probably Military Police, but then that's hardly the same thing). So this got me wondering, what if the RCAF ever remembers that it gave up 250 position to the Army for a function it no longer gets, and decides it wants them back to create a RCAF Regt (or Sqn).

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2012, 03:35:04 AM »
gingie, I've got a technical question:  where would the ammo barrel go ?

also, could a system be set up where a lot of ammo could be carried in a towed unit ?

I really like your work though, looks very eye pleasing.   :)

Offline Gingie

« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2012, 05:35:11 AM »
Inside the hull there's lots of room for Ammo, the same or greater than the ammo storage inside the M-163 Vulcan. Probably enough room for 3 missile re-loads too. The only crew are the driver and the 2 in the turret, so pretty much everything behind the basket is available for stowage.

It's not uncommon for AD vehicles to be supported by a trailer for ammo, such as 40mm Duster, or even a separate vehicle. A separate dedicated support vehicle also provided for crew rotation, as AD vehicles are often functioning 24/7, crew relief becomes a tactical planning consideration. The separate vehicle could be as big as a 10 ton HLWV, as it would be able to carry ammo & crew in the A-echelon.