Author Topic: Messerschmitt Bf 110 floatplane build  (Read 14997 times)

Sentinel Chicken

Messerschmitt Bf 110 floatplane build
« on: March 04, 2012, 01:49:31 PM »
And see what we can do to come up with a 1/144 scale Bf 110 floatplane.......

Kits used for this one will be the Minicraft 1/144 Messerschmitt Bf 110 and the atrocious Minicraft (also braille scale) Aichi E13A "Jake" floatplane which graciously donated its twin floats for this project. Oh, and I'll be using some left overs from my Ki-44 Shoki/Ki-84 Hayate frankenplane kitbash on this build as well.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 01:14:43 AM by Sentinel Chicken »

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: While waiting for paint to dry, let's raid the stash again!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 01:53:10 PM »
Brilliant idea!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 03:18:17 AM »

Got a chance to sling some putty at my Messerschmitt Bf 110 floatplane what if this morning. I put a dollop of Squadron White Putty into the top of a beer bottle cap and add some lacquer thinner until I get the desired consistency for the job I have at hand. Since the gaps on the Bf 110's fuselage and the Aichi floats weren't too big, I needed a consistency not too far off from what Mr. Surfacer offers. I have some retired paint brushes I used to brush on the thinned putty. Since the lacquer thinner evaporates quickly, I can build up a nice even layer quickly that can be sanded not longer after I'm done.

The float struts are the inner wing sections from the Ki-84 Hayate that were leftover from my Shoki-Hayate frankenplane kitbash. I had to fill in the wheel wells (used a bit of Squadron white a la carte for that).

The cockpit is going to be a lot more visible in this build because of the long greenhouse canopy of the Bf 110. I plan to use bits of styrene card and strip to create a reasonable representation of the interior. This is 1/144 scale, after all, and my eyes ain't so good at the up close stuff compared to several years ago.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 05:49:34 AM »
Great tips! standing by to see this develop
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline tc2324

• Just slightly on the edge of madness......!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:52:03 PM »
Like this idea lots.  :)

Did the Luftwaffe put floats on a 110 in the real world?
Whiffing is for Life...., not just for Christmas!!!

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 10:21:06 PM »
Never thought of that putty trick :)

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:01:54 AM »
Did the Luftwaffe put floats on a 110 in the real world?

As far as I know, they didn't. My rationale is the Luftwaffe's need for something less vulnerable than the Heinkel He 115. During the war most of the He 115s operated out of Norway as the air opposition was lighter there. My floatplane Bf 110 is a sort of replacement for the He 115 which was pretty close to obsolete early in the war.

Latest progress shots:

The fuselage is all putty-fooed and sanded down. I added a tail cone extension that was used on the Bf 110D variant- the extended tail cone housed a two man dinghy in case the aircraft ditched. I figure that's a damn good feature to have in a 110 floatplane. Tonight if I have the chance I'll start working on a more presentable (in this scale) cockpit.

The wings are assembled and I forgot just how absolute crap this Minicraft kit is. The slinging and sanding of putty ensued, probably the most PSR I've had to do in this scale. Not to mention the Marianas Trench panel lines (for what few there are- flaps, ailerons, elevators, rudder).

The main struts for the floats are attached, once dry I'll fill in the gaps where they join the floats. It occurred to me that twin engine float planes for the most part don't need water rudders as they can steer with differential thrust. Those were cut off the floats, they looked like crap anyway.

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 04:35:45 AM »
More progress:

Attached the floats with some tack adhesive just to get an idea of positioning. Hoping to get a crack at working on a presentable cockpit tonight.

I had misjudged the length of the float struts and they didn't clear the props. Frakkin' hell. So I used some styrene rod to add 2 mm extension at the top half. The floats angle out slightly and are attached under the inner wings inboard of the engine nacelles. I figure this way the floats can attach directly to the wing spars. There will be a cantilever strut outboard that will connect the float to where the landing gear would be, the idea being that the floats and struts could be removed, the main landing gear legs reinstalled and the aircraft could operate as a landplane.

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 03:03:14 AM »

Got the cockpit interior done today. I used strip and rod styrene to build a rough approximation. It's not exact, but then again this *is* 1/144 scale. But once painted with the 110's long greenhouse canopy in place, it will improve the overall looks of the model, even at this small scale. Next step will be to give it a coat of primer.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 03:54:22 AM »
 Great concept, and I really like the float struts solution.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 04:42:38 AM »
Coming along nicely...though way too small for my liking.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 05:24:12 AM »
Never thought of that putty trick :)
I second that.

Cool bash.  Enjoying posts of progress.   :)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 03:56:13 AM »
You're building and detailing a 1/144 Me-110 cockpit?!!!
 :icon_surprised:  :icon_surprised:  :icon_surprised:
I am beyond impressed, Mr Chicken.

This build is amazing in so many ways and yet you still manage to take it to another level!

Brian da Basher

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 10:30:38 AM »

Sprayed the base coat last night. I decided to go with the underside color as the base coat as it's a light color and that should make it a bit easier on me in doing the undersides of the camouflage scheme. The above shot shows the cockpit detailing a bit better. Just a little bit of styrene strip and rod goes a long way in 1/144 scale. I also sprayed the floats, I glued them to a bit of old sprue so I have a way of holding them during airbrushing. When done, I can snap them off and a quick sanding and they'll be ready to attach to the model.

Underside view. It looks pebble-textured, but it's smooth, I just needed enough of an undercoat to identify areas that needed the slinging of putty. Found to my chagrin it was more humid last night than I thought and got some splatter on the model during airbrushing. F-ing hell. Good thing this is just an undercoating. You can see how shitty the fit is on this Minicraft kit where the wings fit into the lower fuselage. And I thought I'd putty-sand-repeat-the-shit-out-of-it enough already. The small drilled hole will be where I'll probably attach a torpedo mounting/shackle.

The auxiliary fin under the tail I figure would be needed for stability given the addition of the floats and the small vertical tails of the Bf 110. The fin is left over from my Shoki-Hayate kitbash. It's one of the Shoki's tailplanes that I've shaped to look more like an auxiliary ventral fin for a floatplane.

Sentinel Chicken

Re: Messerschmitt Bf 110 floatplane build
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 02:54:39 AM »

*FINALLY* had time to work on this build this morning. My 20 year old Aztek airbrush crapped out on me and to wait for the new one to arrive. Got the Aztek A320, liking it very much. It's single action whereas my old Aztek was a double action, but it handles nicely and is compatible with the ton of accessories I've acquired over the years for my old airbrush like the interchangeable nozzles.

Airbrushed the underside color and already have some of the theater marking areas masked off. Those will be yellow. Next step will be to mask off the underside and work on the top surfaces. Not looking forward to masking off the long greenhouse canopy of the Bf 110. At 1/144 scale, I'm fairly certain I'll develop glaucoma doing it. Oh well.

Hoping to have this one finished for the What-If SIG table at Scalefest in 3 weeks.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 03:24:32 AM »
*FINALLY* had time to work on this build this morning. My 20 year old Aztek airbrush crapped out on me and to wait for the new one to arrive. Got the Aztek A320, liking it very much. It's single action whereas my old Aztek was a double action, but it handles nicely and is compatible with the ton of accessories I've acquired over the years for my old airbrush like the interchangeable nozzles.

If it's an A470 or equivalent, you can send it back for lifetime warranty repairs: http://www.testors.com/faq#2

If you don't care about the warranty, you can try taking it apart and fixing the problem: http://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/testors-aztek

I'm using an Iwata now, buy I stripped my old Aztek and cleaned it out. Even if you've taken good care of it, chances are good that some paint has worked its way into the body. Mine was as good as new after I cleaned it out.

Frank

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 04:15:18 AM »
Thanks for the links, Frank. I'll have a go at my old one. After 20 some years, it's done its service but I'll try taking it apart and see if it can be brought back to life.

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 12:31:14 AM »
More progress:

Finally got that bitch of a greenhouse canopy masked off. It's time for me to invest in some reading glasses. Damns. Attached it after masking this way it can be airbrushed along with the top surface colors. Also masked off the undersides of the floats and Bf 110 itself since the top colors will be RLM 70 and RLM 71 (two shades of dark green used on Luftwaffe bombers and seaplanes during the war).

First top surface color airbrushed on. Once this dries, then I can mask off areas for the splinter camouflage and the second top surface color. I haven't yet decided if I'll add some white splotches over the splinter camo like was done on these Heinkel He 115s:

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 04:09:57 AM »
Coming along nicely - I am astonished at how well a 1/144 subject like this comes up.

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 06:27:39 AM »
She's going to look soooooooo nice in that scheme man, can't wait!

Don't write off those little Minicraft kits.  Some of them are gems right out of the box or with a little bit of work.
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 07:03:39 AM »
Looking like a winner for sure, Mr Chicken!

I've got to tip my hat to your totally inspired decision to use the scheme from an He-115!

Whether you go with the white sploches or not probably depends on where your bird is based and what time of year it is.

Brian da Basher

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 10:00:27 AM »
Don't write off those little Minicraft kits.  Some of them are gems right out of the box or with a little bit of work.
The only reason I don't write them off is that they're dirt cheap and as such, wonderful whiff fodder. This month's new Squadron catalog has the Bf 110 kit listed for $10.99 but on sale for $5.99. All the little WW2 Minicraft kits I have in the stash I've picked up for no more than $3 at shows.

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 10:06:40 AM »
Whether you go with the white sploches or not probably depends on where your bird is based and what time of year it is.

And my motivation level. White airbrushed over a dark scheme could be more work than I'm up for at this point as I'd like to have this done for Scalefest on May 19. But I'm still sitting on the fence, looking at all sorts of Luftwaffe profiles and photos on the Innerwebz to try and decide what I'll do.

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 11:08:52 AM »
Just noticed this thread... wow is that a nifty idea! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 10:21:23 AM »
Latest progress:

Done with the camouflage, it's the two tones of green used on Luftwaffe bombers and seaplanes during the war, RLM 70 and RLM 71. I was surprised at how little overspray I had, I guess I had masked off the undersides better than I thought. Also removed the masking of the yellow theater markings as well. Haven't removed the masking off the canopy yet as I'm still waffling on whether I'll add white patches for the winter camouflage.

Underside view shows the yellow theater markings better as well as the auxiliary ventral fin under the tail I added. The floats are painted also, the next step will be the attach the floats, add some engine details and craft the cantilevered struts that will connect the floats to the bottoms of the engine nacelles.