Author Topic: Kyushu J7W3 Shinden Japanese "Jet Ace" 1947  (Read 12522 times)

Texgunner

Kyushu J7W3 Shinden Japanese "Jet Ace" 1947
« on: May 16, 2012, 05:01:22 AM »
In this "alternate" version of WWII, the development of the atomic bomb had not been successful.  Japan had managed to stay in the fight, as aviation technology marched on.  The Kyushu company had entered their advanced interceptor, the Shinden J7W1, into production in the autumn of 1945.  By mid-'46, that aircraft had evolved into the long-planned turbojet-powered J7W2.  That fighter had, in turn, been superseded by the J7W3.  This model had a bubble canopy, shortened landing gear, and newly-designed vertical stabilizers and rudders.  By mid-'47, these very capable airplanes were doing battle with both American and Soviet aircraft in the Pacific theatre.

This model represents a J7W3 based on the Korean peninsula in 1947.  They were delivered to units in unpainted form and then had field expedient camouflage applied.  This plane bears five kill markings, three American and two Soviet, making her pilot a Japanese "Jet Ace".

The kit is the venerable Hasegawa model in 1/48.  I started the build as the prototype which made several short test flights at the very end of the actual war.  Things were progressing along just fine when disaster struck.  I had suspended an articulated desk lamp over the model to help dry the primer coat.  I returned a few hours later to find that the lamp had dropped several inches and had melted the upper rear fuselage.  Yikes!  Man, did that lamp get hot!

Well, I then decided to salvage the build by doing my first "conversion".   I would build my take on the jet-powered version eventually planned by Kyushu.  I rebuilt the melted part with auto spot filler and removed some air scoops while adding a couple others.  The canopy was the rear part of a P-47 bubbletop that I cut into two pieces.  The drop tank is from some long-forgotten model, adapted for use here.  I shortened those tall vertical stabilizers and made new broader rudders. Since the airplane no longer needed that extreme ground clearance necessitated by the 6-bladed pusher prop, I decided to shorten all the landing gear legs.  Well, that also meant that I had to relocate the mounting holes in order for the wheels to still fit into the gear bays. The aotake in these gear wells is Model Master acrylic teal lightly sprayed over aluminum.  The base finish is Floquil Old Silver with a custom-mixed green acrylic crudely applied over that and around the factory painted hinomarus.  Thanks for looking and I hope you like her!
Gary

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:13:29 AM by Gary Brantley »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Kyushu J7W3 Shinden Japanese "Jet Ace" 1947
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 05:29:03 AM »
Excellent work, Mr Brantley! Love your treatment of the burner can and the paintwork is first rate! Welcome to BTS! That's one heck of an introduction!

Brian da Basher

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 06:06:02 AM »
Nice save of that model and great Shinden variant! Also compliments on the perspective photo poses with real backdrops, nice touch of realism in the pictures.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 08:07:56 AM »
Beautiful work!  Those first photos almost look like a restored last surviving example that has been rolled out at a museum.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 08:46:34 AM »
Very nice indeed!  :) The shorter landing gear looks great on this one.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Texgunner

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 09:22:35 AM »
Thanks to all!  I appreciate your kind words so much.  I'm sorry for the quality of the pics.  They were taken some years ago with my first digital camera.  I live about 3 minutes from our local airport, and for the last year or so, the wind has been blowing so much that it's sort of risky having the models out there on the table for photographing.   I'm always afraid that they will actually go airborne with a gust of wind.  In fact, my last attempt was with an RF-101B Voodoo done in an all-black, suedo-SR-71 look.  I almost lost the horizontal stabilizers out there in the wind!  Thanks again everyone, I'm so glad you've enjoyed my Shinden!
Gary

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 09:36:38 AM »
Most excellent and plausible work.  The J7W2 works for a miniumu-change adaptation but a redesign like this would be necessary to really take advantage of the new technology.

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 10:16:26 AM »
This is a great concept and it looks so incredibly plausible! One of these days you need to get up to IPMS Scalefest here in the DFW area and bring your models for display on the What-If tables we have each year.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 10:43:04 AM »

Welcome aboard!

Excellent model and paint job! I like the canopy and the exhaust discoloration looks great, and the picture with the hangar and other planes in the background had me fooled for a second. "What's a yellow T-6 doing on a Japanese airfield? And why do they have a Texan logo on their hangar..."

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 12:08:43 PM »
Anyone up for a J7W4, where the propulsion is a Ramjet like in the Kayaba Katsudori ?

Snicker...

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 03:18:57 PM »
Super fine build and concept.  Cool.   8)
Inspires me to do similar for my 1/72 kit-bashed air force.
Carrier based version otta work too.
Really do like it a bunch.
Bill

Offline Scooterman

• Professional A-4 Stalker...and stealer of Rule 3.
  • Even his underwear is embroided with Skyhawks...
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 10:07:49 AM »
Very, VERY nice.  Myself and Roger the Cabin Boy approve!  Fine recovery!

Texgunner

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 10:21:47 AM »
Thanks again everyone!  After I finished the J7W3, I contemplated another version utilizing the wings from an ancient Lindberg F-100 kit that I picked up for a song.  I thought I might hand-carve the fuselage out of balsa.  Well, that project has never left the nest, lol.  What do you think?  Worth a try?
Gary

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 08:19:34 PM »
Great from every angle!!  :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 02:31:50 AM »

Well, that project has never left the nest, lol.  What do you think?  Worth a try?

Scratch-building is always worth the effort. If you wind up unsatisfied, you'll still be learning.

Great build on the Shinden!

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 05:55:36 AM »
Wonderful build - very impressive!

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 01:13:50 PM »
Yes, a very pleasant model, and better than commercial ones... :-*