Author Topic: The next build, 1/144 scale B-47E Stratojet  (Read 12276 times)

Sentinel Chicken

Re: The next build, 1/144 scale B-47E Stratojet
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 10:20:16 AM »
Getting there!

IPA -  :icon_beer::icon_sueno::-X:-\:icon_alabanza: - next day ---  :-[

Don't use recreationally !

Heh-heh. I have four kids. All ten years old and younger. At least none of the girls are dating age. Yet. But it's why I drink. Barley pop is cracked open once they are all asleep and I can work on my builds.

And if I ever run out of barley pop, there's always that bottle of 91% isopropyl. ;)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 04:42:58 AM »
Those over-sprayed markings look great, Mr Chicken!

Watching this bird come together is more fun than cable TV!

Brian da Basher

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 12:44:05 PM »
Done!!

Decals were from the 1990s Welsh vacuform Vulcan kit, they provided a nice big sheet of low viz roundels, fin flashes and serial numbers/letters of different sizes. The carrier film of the decals was a bit thick but durable and held up well. I did the Future trick again, after getting the decal off the backing paper, I blotted out the water and then dipped the whole decal in some Future and then applied it to the model which already had been given a Future coat to give it a glossy sheen. By dipping the decal in Future, you pretty much eliminate any silvering and don't have to worry about setting solutions eating up the decals.

I used Testors Radome Tan for select areas where there'd be a dielectric panel- the top of the fin, the gun laying radar for the tail guns and part of the undernose bombing/navigation radar. I used Testors Bright White from the rattle can to overspray the gray markings which toned them down and also brightened up the white, too.

There's a slight yellowing in the roundels which came in two parts- a pale blue/white part and a separate red part that you applied over the base decal. It wasn't too hard to do. After the decals were in place, I gave each one a quick brush over with some Future to seal them and then after 24 hours, oversprayed the whole model with Testors Flat Lacquer to seal it all.

Top view. If I could do it all over again I'd use narrower lines for the wing and fuselage walkways.

Underside view where I used some black pastel chalk to weather the underside. Tried not to over do it, every pic I've seen of an RAF V-bomber in this scheme it looks like the ground crew did a good job keeping them clean presumable to preserve the anti-flash qualities of the paint scheme. There's an area just behind the aft landing gear I screwed up with the dreaded ham-fisted thumb in the wrong place. Oops.

If anyone's going to do this kit, let me tell you what a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS putting the outrigger gears in place was. You have to trim them to they sit even with the main landing gears but they don't fit very well in the nacelle well. Don't attach that little door to the aft part of the strut first or it just plain won't fit into the well at all. Dammit. So my outrigger gears sit further forward in the nacelle well than they should, but oh well, lesson learned when I decide to attack that RB-47H in the stash.

I'll have this on the What-If SIG tables tomorrow at Scalefest.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2012, 01:06:11 PM »
Very nice!  Even without the addition of a fictional air to surface missile ;)

"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2012, 08:44:26 PM »
Damn fine work!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 09:40:47 PM »
That's a fantastic finish, Mr Chicken!

I think the thicker lines actually make it more plausable as an RAF bird. The radome tan was a very nice touch indeed!

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 11:13:37 PM »
AWesome!!  :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 04:31:43 AM »
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice ! Like the markings sets. Good weathering details on the exhaust and hydraulic stains.

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2012, 08:39:31 AM »
Love it !  I knew once the roundels went on it would come to life ! Very nice !  :)