Author Topic: The Habsburg Empire Air Troops Part 3 - 1937  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The Habsburg Empire Air Troops Part 3 - 1937
« on: October 10, 2018, 05:08:53 AM »

Habsburgerreich Luftfahrtruppen (Habsburg Empire air arm) BFW-109.

A license-built version of the Messerschmitt 109 produced by Brünn Flugzeug Werke AG (BFW) of Brno.

As Germany refused to export Daimler-Benz engines, locally produced Gräf & Stift 9 cylinder radial engines were used instead.

Other minor changes were made to the shape of the wingtips and rudder.

The aircraft was armed with 7.9 mm and 9 mm guns on the upper decking and two 12.4 mm guns in the wings. A 21.3 mm cannon firing through the propeller boss provided that extra punch.

The new fighter entered service just in time for the Rapallo crisis. Eventually over 1586 were produced but the aircraft was clearly obsolete when eventually replaced in service in the late 1940's. The only surviving example is currently on exhibit at the Habsburgerreich Luftfahrtruppen Museum - Süd in Graz.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 06:02:22 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Habsburg Empire Air Troops Part 3 - 1937
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 05:35:26 AM »
This all started with a venerable 1/72 Hasegawa Me-109G a good friend sent me recently (thanks a million, hamsterman!).
You've got to admit, that's some sweet box art.

What's inside the box may look simple, but it's absolutely cutting edge for 1976, the year it was released. Unfortunately, I didn't take sprue shots and my Google-fu is weak so I couldn't come up with any, but I'm sure many of you have built one and these kits often show up on vendor tables.

Of course, mine was going to be a little different.

While playing around with some parts, I was astonished at how well an Airfix Henschel 123 cowling fit.

It fit so good in fact, no engine cylinders were needed and I could just set it there without glue.

Something had to be done about those exhaust stubs, so I boxed them in with card for a pipe.

Hat tip to Frank for suggesting this. I was going to use putty but this was sooo much easier.

While I was at it, I decided to add lower landing gear doors.

Then I stuck the wings on along with the horiz stabs. After that it was off to the paint shop.

The old hairy stick was trotted out and loaded up with a lot of Polly Scale SP Lettering Gray acrylic. The canopy was tinted on the inside with Testors Royal Blue. Guns were given a custom mix as were those exhausts. The rudder stripes were done freehand in Flat Black and Insignia Yellow.

Decals were from spares but I had to paint the dot between the codes. That was fun.

It took me a couple of weeks to build this model as I lost the original cowl and had to wait on a replacement.

I'd like to thank Bill for sending me both the Me-109G and the Hs-123 kits! I couldn't have done it without him!

Before I forget, here's a couple of "money shots" (U.S. penny for scale):

I'd like to thank Señor Ysi for moderating this GB and the rest of you playing along or just taking a look.

I've got one more Habsburgerreich Luftfahrtruppen project planned for this GB. Will I get it done in time?

Stay tuned.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 06:10:52 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: The Habsburg Empire Air Troops Part 3 - 1937
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 04:06:02 PM »
Smooth conversion to radial engine  Paint markings etc all work together.  :smiley:
Would not thought of this conversion.  You have kit-bashing vision.