Author Topic: The Habsburg Empire Air Troops Part 2 - 1927  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The Habsburg Empire Air Troops Part 2 - 1927
« on: September 25, 2018, 05:52:59 AM »

Habsburgerreich Luftfahrtruppen (Habsburg Empire air arm) Albatros X.

This fighter was the last in a long line of development started when Habsburgerreich Flugzeugfabrik AG (Haffag) built the original German design under license in 1917 which was improved upon over time.

The Haffag Albatros X entered service with the Habsburgerreich Luftfahrtruppen in 1927 and was powered by a Gräf & Stift V-6 engine. It was armed with two 7.86 mm synchronized guns mounted on the upper decking.

The top wing was moved so it bisected the fuselage in an attempt to improve speed and visibility. While speed did increase, it was still difficult to see below during landing which caused many accidents for pilots new to the type.

Along with these design changes, in an incredibly far-sighted bit of modernization, the undercarriage was upgraded and featured the first spats ever used on a combat aircraft in the Habsburgerreich.

While the landing gear was indeed quite fearsome, these fighters would be forced to soldier on long after they should've been retired, relying ever more on the intimidation factor of their spats to keep the enemy at bay.

The last Albatros X was scrapped in the late 1930s after being replaced by more up-to-date types and none survive today.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 06:54:28 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Habsburg Empire Air Troops Part 2 - 1927
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 06:29:49 AM »
This all started with a bagged 1/72 Eduard Albatros D.V that I picked up for a couple of bucks at a fire sale a few years back. Since it's a bagged kit, there's no box art to speak of, but the paint guide is very colorful.

With typical Eduard fastidiousness, the instructions are nicely drawn and easy to follow.

If you follow these things, that is.

The kit itself is pretty simple but very well detailed for the scale.

To pull this build off, I was going to need some extra parts.

These were also from an Eduard Albatros V, but one that was a little pricier and came with more options.

One option I didn't have was leaving the front office empty so I got to work.

I added some seat belts made from kabuki tape as well as an instrument panel cut from card. This is the second W.W. I kit missing this critical piece of equipment and I'm worried they're going extinct or something. Here's how the 'pit looks all closed up. You can't see a lot of it but I think it would look empty without it.

The first modification I made was upgrading the engine. Fortunately, one swiped from a Chipmunk was a great fit.

That yawning chasm in front of the 'pit was covered with blister pack from disposable lighters.

Next I added those wings & ailerons you saw earlier and then spatted the landing gear with card.

It took me  a couple of days to get this far and then it was on to paint.

The old hairy stick was trotted out again and loaded with acrylics. The wings & tail feathers were done with Polly Scale Italian Gray and the fuselage in a color I got on sale, Model Masters Sloth Brown. Flat Black and Insignia Yellow were used for the rudder stripes.

The engine and spats were painted Model Masters Primer Gray and the struts, guns and exhausts were given a custom mix. Decals were all from spares and I dearly hope the Luftwaffe doesn't want their commandeered squadron badges back.

Before I forget, here's a couple of "money shots" (U.S. penny for scale).

I'm grateful to Señor Ysi for moderating this GB and the rest of you playing along or just taking a look.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:08:57 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 07:32:21 AM »
If you have not yet been promoted to Generalfeldmarschall of the Habsburg Empire Air Force, you should be Brian.

All your builds are sehr toll!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:12:52 PM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 07:54:46 AM »
Indeed looks transitioned to 1927ish aircraft.  Lowered wing, motor, spats, and colors do the job.  Nice strut wires too.  Have not tried that.

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 01:57:58 PM »
Love full wings united to fuselage and thin spats. :smiley: :smiley:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 05:56:24 PM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 05:12:57 AM »
... the undercarriage was upgraded and featured the first spats ever used on a combat aircraft in the Habsburgerreich...

More than enough reason to model this subject. Nice!  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."