Author Topic: An Anachronistic Agincourt - Part 2 the Cornish Contingent  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
An Anachronistic Agincourt - Part 2 the Cornish Contingent
« on: September 14, 2018, 04:42:46 AM »

Kerris Aero Co. Chough Mk. V of the XXI Aerial Regiment, Cornish contingent, Agincourt 1415.

The aircraft is marked in a stylized version of St. Piran's flag, the traditional Cornwall banner.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 06:58:12 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: An Anachronistic Agincourt - Part 2 the Cornish Contingent
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 05:10:20 AM »
This all began with a venerable 1/72 Hasegawa Heinkel He-51.

You've got to admit, that box art is really something and comes in a floaty flavor too!

What's inside the box is pretty nice, whether intended for water or not. While a bit basic by modern standards, it was absolutely state-of-the-art back in the early 1970's. Of course mine was going to be a little different...

I started by cutting off the engine and adding the nose from a Monogram Ford Trimotor.

Next I stuck on a drop-tank half as a canopy and added gun pods made from P-36 brass catchers and a spare axle. Then I tacked on spatted landing gear  :-* from a KP Avia B.534 and a spare radial engine from a Williams Bros Northrop Gamma.

I also added a tail wheel and fairing cut from card.

A radial engine is only as good as its cowling, so sayeth NACA and I taped that on for these mock-ups.

The top wing is just perched there as I had a more work to do before gluing it on for good.

Most of that was paint work, and the old hairy stick was loaded up with a lot of Polly Scale SP Lettering Gray. The engine & cowling were painted Model Masters Flat Black with a little Aluminum dry-brushed over the cylinders. The nose was done in Steel and the canopy and guns were given custom mixes.

Decals were mostly leftover Hungarian markings from an He-170.

I was thrilled to see how much those markings resemble St. Piran's flag.

The Cornish XXI Aerial Regiment markings, crest and codes were all from spares.

The model was rigged with busted steel guitar strings cut to length and stuck in place with Lock-Tite gel and Gator glue.

It took me the past week to put this together and it was a lot of fun even if I faced a few challenges.

I hope you enjoyed my little alternate, anachronistic Agincourt. I'd build a French airplane, but alas I'm out of fleur-de-lis decals.

I'm grateful to Seņor Ysi for moderating this GB and those of you who are playing along or just stopped by for a look.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 09:20:24 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 11:22:28 AM »
Good :smiley: :smiley: ;)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 04:34:36 AM »
Oh, that is lovely! I was nowhere near to guessing He 51 as the basis - brilliant!  And very clever decal recycling for the  Baner Peran  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 10:06:25 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.