Author Topic: An Anachronistic Agincourt - Part 1 the English  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
An Anachronistic Agincourt - Part 1 the English
« on: September 09, 2018, 10:50:59 PM »
Sir Hawker's Furious Mk. II, mount of the Black Baron of Blackmoor, commanding the King's Flying Vanguard at the Battle of Agincourt in 1415.

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: An Anachronistic Agincourt - Part 1 the English
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 11:13:15 PM »
The base kit for this project is an oldie but a goodie, the classic 1/72 scale Matchbox Hawker Fury I biplane.

isn't that box art great? Makes you feel like you're on the field at the Hendon air show in 1931.

Speaking of box art, it could vary somewhat over time...

What's inside the box is a bit basic by modern standards, but quite colorful.

Decal quality probably depends on storage conditions over the last 40-odd years.

There's an excellent paint guide on the back which of course I entirely ignored.

This Hawker Fury was going to turn out just a little bit different.

I went for a more streamlined look by adding a drop-tank half as a bubble canopy and incredibly intimidating spatted landing gear.

The spats were cut from card and have wheel halves stuck inside with a dab of putty over the small gaps.

The landing gear struts were swiped from the stand included with a Monogram P-36. I can't remember where the prop & tail wheel came from.

It took me about three days to get this far.

I wish I could've figured out a way to keep it in it's natural colors, but alas my imagination failed me here.

The old hairy stick was trotted out and loaded up with a lot of Model Masters Flat Black acrylic. The canopy was done in Jet Exhaust and Steel was used on the tail wheel strut. The grille was done with a cheap, craft-store metallic and given a dry-brush of Flat Black. The prop was painted Aluminum and the exhausts given a custom rust mix.

Decals were mostly re-purposed RAF squadron markings from a Glencoe Vampire but the codes are from a 1/144 Academy Avro Lancaster.

Rigging was done with busted steel guitar strings (one nice thing about having a musician for a neighbor) stuck in place with a combination of Lock-Tite gel and Gator Glue.

If you wondered what I've been up to the past week or so this is it.

I'd like to thank Seņor Ysi for bravely moderating this GB and the rest of you who are playing along or just taking a look.

Coming soon, the Cornish contingent.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 11:24:20 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 01:20:33 AM »
Anachronistic Agincourt ! a very wide and deep anachrony !  ;D ;D

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 03:54:31 AM »
"We flew, we happy flew, we band of brothers ..."

Love it  :-*  Especially the fuselage red dragon (for the erstwhile Henry of Monmouth). Though every inch a Fury, that canopy, cantilever legs with spats, and spinnerless prop somehow gives the Black Baron's mount a Curtiss feel.  Hal gets help from the early American dominions?  ;D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 05:55:21 AM »
 :smiley: The kind of entry I want to see in this GB 8)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 07:51:03 PM »
Nice one Brian, absolutely inspired !

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............