Author Topic: Frankenalbatros. Rotary-powered D.III.  (Read 1832 times)

Offline CSMO

• Don't need no filthy stinking airbrush!
  • Plastic Butcher, & Master of Three-foot Scale.
Frankenalbatros. Rotary-powered D.III.
« on: December 23, 2017, 12:26:08 PM »

I have a shoebox full of extra  wings, fuselages, tail surfaces, and cowling. I had the “hot idea” of seeing if I could make a model from the odds and sods.

I found a Hit Kit Albatros fuselage and lower wing, Roden tailplane,  and a Esci too eing.

I didn’t have an inline Mercedes motor, but I found a Roden Nieuport cowling and rotary engine.

I cut off part of the nose and made a firewall and mounted the motor. I used putty to blend the fuselage to the firewall. I added two scrapbox Spandaus and made a Camel-style breech cover made from bent .010 sheet.

The struts are Aeroclub airfoils stock and the landing gear is brass wire. The seat, wheels, and propeller are scrapbox finds. The tailskid is scratchbuilt.

The model is brush-painted. The “plywood” is Tamiya Turn Signal Amber over Testors Flat Yellow.The Russian Civil War insignia belongs to Red Army Workers & Peasants Regiment. I laid Red stars over Czarist Russian roundels.

Here are a couple of “before shots”.

Adios, Larry.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 12:29:07 PM by CSMO »
Field Artillerymen do it with a bigger BANG!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Frankenalbatros. Rotary-powered D.III.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »
Is hardcore kit-bashing when you use so much parts bin parts. :smiley:  Ya know those random parts wanted to be used and you made it happen.
Looks fine as "another" WW1 fighter.  Fool em at a model show.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 12:55:15 PM »
That looks awesome! Great mix of plane parts. You should have added a couple of bolts just behind the engine, just to match Frankie's neck bolts.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 05:43:32 AM »
That's outstanding, Larry! Nice wood grain effect and bonus points for choice of not-often-seen markings!

Brian da Basher

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 01:24:08 AM »
Very convincing, splendid kite and finish, in a hundred years from now it could confuse a number of historians.
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.