Author Topic: F-5 Freedom Fighter, Tiger, F-20 Tigershark, X-29 concepts and proposals ...  (Read 121892 times)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
We've got some but it will take a few days I think to find where the pics were archived.

These below though I took when I was coming up with an idea on how to make a much better fixture.  The bolt hole I'm measuring is one of four where the wing gets bolted to four corresponding lugs sticking out the bottom of the fuselage.

Incidently, how the aircraft comes apart is almost how Airfix has the way the kit gets assembled, I found that very interesting.
Four bolts tying the wing to the fuselage?  Interesting!!  Both the P-51 and the Learjet are set up that same way.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
We've got some but it will take a few days I think to find where the pics were archived.

These below though I took when I was coming up with an idea on how to make a much better fixture.  The bolt hole I'm measuring is one of four where the wing gets bolted to four corresponding lugs sticking out the bottom of the fuselage.

Incidently, how the aircraft comes apart is almost how Airfix has the way the kit gets assembled, I found that very interesting.
Four bolts tying the wing to the fuselage?  Interesting!!  Both the P-51 and the Learjet are set up that same way.

If there was any others Evan, I didn't see them, or I don't remember where they were.  The wing was all in one piece, there was a notch in the bottom of the fuselage which had a flat surface at the top with four lugs hanging down from it. The flat surface was also the top of the wheel bay.  I was shown some 'special' material bolts which were used for the bolt-up and I had a couple new ones made which were a bit longer as I used a 1" thick steel plate to span from one bolt hole to the other (that you can see in the top photo). We then cut some slots in the flat surface through to the engine tunnel above it so that additional steel plate could protrude though and get welded to the main steel plate, these were then bolted to the ends of the pipe which came through the engine tunnels from the rear.

Offline elmayerle

Oh, I have no trouble believing it because, as I said, I do know of other aircraft done the same way.  Considering that one of the fathers of the Mustang, Edgar Schmued was also involved with the N-156, it doesn't seem surprising at all.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: F.5 Freedom Fighter, Tiger, F.20 Tigershark, X.29 concepts and proposals ...
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »
Random idea:  Netherlands F-5E in WW2 markings with these Roundels:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
A couple of T-38 proposals (courtesy of http://ghostmodeler.blogspot.de/2012/09/talons-in-space-northrops-n-205-proposal.html):

Supersonic VIP transport:

T-38 VTOL variant:

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
Persian Independence Air Force markings?
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues

Which would be?

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!

Iran = Persia and vice versa, also the population of Iran is over 60% Persian and they are the
dominant ethnicity in all ways ... so from whom are they claiming independence?

Or are you positing a Persia that was conquered and remained under the control of the Ottoman, Mughal
or Russian Empire?
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
A couple of T-38 proposals (courtesy of http://ghostmodeler.blogspot.de/2012/09/talons-in-space-northrops-n-205-proposal.html):

Supersonic VIP transport:

T-38 VTOL variant:

1/32 T-38 would make into cool 1/72 transport !
But there aint one far as I know.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 02:01:26 PM by finsrin »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues

1/32 T-38 would make into cool 1/72 transport !
But there aint one far as I know.

Collect-aire did one...good luck finding one though:

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
It would be a rebel force against the current administration(s) found in that land.   The F-20 would be pitted against the indigenous F-5 derivative that's been developed.  (whatever that aircraft is called, I don't remember its name at the moment).   

Or it would be a force against a greatly enlarged Khemed that a much older Tintin would cover.   Khemed would have a swept wing MiG-21F and the Persians  the F-5E/F.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:56:54 AM by Daryl J. »
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Rather than the N-156NN, it likely would've been a later design development, the N-251B which had a raised cockpit compared to the N-156 and increased wing area.

Do you happen to have a line drawing for this?

(Assuming it doesn't have anything to do with the first post in this thread...... by mentioning N-156NN again I am looking for a CVE-compatible fighter jet......)
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline elmayerle

Unfortunately, I didn't borrow and copy that brochure when I had the chance (co-worker on a classified program there had it and getting things in and out was a pain at times).

Regarding a 1/48 T-38, didn't Fujimi do one? 

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Unfortunately, I didn't borrow and copy that brochure when I had the chance (co-worker on a classified program there had it and getting things in and out was a pain at times).

Regarding a 1/48 T-38, didn't Fujimi do one?

PAK-20 book says for T-38A/D:

Academy; Fujimi (reboxed by AHM and Bachmann); Hasegawa (reboxed by Minicraft); Sword; Testors.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Isn't one of the Chinese companies supposed to be releasing one soon?

Offline elmayerle

Given the similarity between the T-38A and the F-5B, I'd expect it to be AFV Club along with all their other F-5 kits.

Offline Diamondback

• SC
  • Head of the crew dog fan boy club
Am I the only one who thinks that naval concept looks a bit like the outcome if an F-5 knocked up an Su-25 Frogfoot?

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Am I the only one who thinks that naval concept looks a bit like the outcome if an F-5 knocked up an Su-25 Frogfoot?

Ok, go it.  The half breed look is there.

Offline elmayerle

X-29 with F-20A cockpit and nose with vectoring LO nozzle on a F414.  Four or six underwing stores points with pylons shaped to avoid the moving portions of the wing.

Offline Rafael

• El capitán del Cartón
  • Head of the Venezuelan Brigade
X-29 with F-20A cockpit and nose with vectoring LO nozzle on a F414.  Four or six underwing stores points with pylons shaped to avoid the moving portions of the wing.

Great concept, Evan. And very doable. Please, refresh my understanding: "moving portions of the wing" as in control surfaces, or as in parts that don't flex inflight?. And what's the shape of that 2-D nozzle?, I know I've seen it, but can't precisely find it.
I don't take life seriously. I'm not getting out of it alive anyways.

Offline elmayerle

The X-29 has a flex wing wherein the forward and aft sections of the wing flex as flaps etc. to improve performance; the intention would be for the pylons to not interfere with that.  The pylons would attach to the fixedm iddle portion of the wing and be shaped to miss  the maximum deflections of the flexing parts.

Basically, I'm thinking of a GE equivalent of the combined AVEN and LOAN programs (both of which used P&W engines).  I'm certain GE has similar efforts and I'd wager that the F136 used at least the LOAN aspect.  you'd mainly end up with s trimmed rear edge of the nozzle much like what is on the F-35's nozzle and the nozzle would be a "glossy metallic black" in color, showing the "special coatings" applied.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:59:19 PM by elmayerle »

Offline Rafael

• El capitán del Cartón
  • Head of the Venezuelan Brigade
The X-29 has a flex wing wherein the forward and aft sections of the wing flex as flaps etc. to improve performance; the intention would be for the pylons to not interfere with that.  The pylons would attach to the fixed iddle portionof the wing and be shaped to miss  the maximum deflections of the flexing parts.

Would it suffice to attach pylons with reduced area, like an F-16's external wing stations?. Aligned with the wing centerline, lenghtwise?. 3 to four such is ok?

Basically, I'm thinking of a GE equivalent of the combined AVEN and LOAN programs (both of which used P&W engines).  I'm certain GE has similar efforts and I'd wager that the F136 used at least the LOAN aspect.  you'd mainly end up with s trimmed rear edge of the nozzle much like what is on the F-35's nozzle and the nozzle would be a "glossy metallic black" in color, showing the "special coatings" applied.

So, are you describing a serrated trailing edge version of the F-16 VISTA?. Of course, in F-404 size?

Ok, I found it:

That, along with the tigershark nose and cockpit/canopy change should give the X-29 a very menacing look. Beautiful!
I don't take life seriously. I'm not getting out of it alive anyways.

Offline elmayerle

I'd have to look at a X-29 kit to see what good references there are; let me get back to you on that.

Yes, a serrated trailing edge nozzle fit to the F404 or F414 (same engine envelopes, so one should replace the other).  I'm thinking three stores stations per wing, likely with drop tanks on two and the other four for armament.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
When If I finally get round to building my operational X-29, I want to modify the main landing gear doors to allow a centreline pylon for a tank or ECM pod.

This is how it would look. Kinda.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline elmayerle

That makes sense, a bi-fold door hinged outboard as opposed to an inboard hinge.  I'd have to look at the kit to see how feasible it would be.  Still, with the MLG trunnions where they are, I'm not sure how large a store you could carry on the centerline.