Poll

who wants more profiles of civil subjects ??

No thanks
18 (31%)
YES !!!
40 (69%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Raafif's profiles  (Read 182550 times)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: Raafif's profiles
« Reply #400 on: March 27, 2014, 10:09:49 AM »
My parents had a Combi when I was a kid, they loved the way they could stick a kid on each corner out of reach of each other, made for much less violent driving holidays.  Used to have clutch problems to the point we would carry a spare one and dad and I could drop the engine out, replace the clutch and reinstall the engine in less than half an hour.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #401 on: March 16, 2015, 11:07:56 AM »
Mini Frontseata :-\
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:10:42 AM by raafif »

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #402 on: March 16, 2015, 11:09:23 AM »
some rough Rushin' ideas

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #403 on: March 17, 2015, 01:30:13 AM »
  ;D Lovin' that Hoplite car!  :-*
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #404 on: March 19, 2015, 02:25:04 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #405 on: March 22, 2015, 06:10:43 AM »
Very nice  :)  Both Aeroplast and Směr do the Mi-2 in 1:48  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #406 on: April 10, 2015, 10:45:24 AM »
As WW2 dragged on into late 1946, the Russo-German Pact forces proved hard to push back from France - losses in Allied armour were staggering.  Even the mighty industrial resources of the USA were hard pressed to keep up & new engine designs using crude-oil-fired steam-engines instead of the refined-petrol engine were looked at.  These new engines were based on those used in locomotives & as the various loco manufacturers were already heavily involved in tank production, they were asked to perfect the type.

However, by this time, there were shortages of material & the manager of the Lima Locomotive Works complained to the General Staff that they could not complete the current batch of Sherman Tanks until March 1947 at the earliest.  General MacArthur, head of the Allied Europe theater bluntly told him "I don't care what parts you use ! Just get them Tanks rolling out the door !!"
The Lima manager took the General at his literal word & delivered 80 Sherman Mk.13 tanks on January 13, 1947 ....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:48:24 AM by raafif »

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #407 on: April 10, 2015, 07:05:17 PM »
 ;D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #408 on: April 11, 2015, 03:44:07 AM »
Now for someone to build it in plastic, resin...whatever.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #409 on: November 01, 2015, 09:43:56 AM »
another old car name making a comeback ?

based on the current Rover codfish styling.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 09:47:40 AM by raafif »

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #410 on: December 14, 2015, 07:13:35 AM »
Other than the Dornier 335, Push-Pulls are disappointingly rare :icon_nif:

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #411 on: December 14, 2015, 11:52:15 AM »
Wonferful! :-* Thanks to your imagination (and skills) completing the so little collection in the World outside... ;)

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #412 on: December 14, 2015, 03:59:59 PM »
some rough Rushin' ideas

the hoplite car and front seat mini scream to be built !

:)

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #413 on: November 11, 2016, 11:43:36 AM »
long time since I was here but I've got the web for an hour so here's a few profiles I've done in the last 4 months .... it may be another few months before I can get back so enjoy !!

1949 Fairchild M-121 & 1950 Fairchild M-128 -- designed as a shipboard bomber for the US Navy, it was supposed to carry a nuke but they turned out too big for this aircraft so they were modified to carry a single large bomb in the cavity between the circle of 12 small turbojet engines.  This design meant the bomber didn't have to slow down to open bomb-doors & avoided the aerodynamic shock of same ....
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 11:47:51 AM by raafif »

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #414 on: November 11, 2016, 11:46:00 AM »
Vulcans & Victors ...

B-29 Weather-Watchers ...

Avro Lincoln AWACs ...

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #415 on: November 11, 2016, 11:47:07 AM »
Yak 60X2 helo & Chinooks

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #416 on: November 11, 2016, 12:10:44 PM »
My favorite is the double-Yak helicopter... :-*

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #417 on: November 11, 2016, 02:35:01 PM »
Did your customarily fine job on profiles.
My favorites are Vulcans & Victors ...  B-29 Weather-Watchers ...  Avro Lincoln AWACs ... :)
Certainly are resourceful with color schemes !

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #418 on: November 12, 2016, 02:19:50 AM »

beautiful banana !

« Reply #419 on: November 13, 2016, 06:50:54 PM »
Wow, I had never seen those Fairchild's projects!

Really like the Vulcan in BOAC livery and the USAF variant :)

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #420 on: January 10, 2017, 12:40:31 PM »
got a minute so here's a few I've done over Christmas.

To a U.S. Army requirement for a bigger heavy-lift helicopter Boeing came up with a bigger & higher-powered Chinook.  This aircraft quickly evolved into the 4-engined Super-Chinook version using 99.9% of standard components.  There was also a Marine requirement for a sky-crane version to air-lift vehicles from ship to shore & so the Boeing Pegasus was created from the Super-Chinook.

A civilian version of the Pegasus was soon in demand & had a long life with many large & small companies, later ones being converted from ex-military aircraft by the SkyLifter company based at the Davis Monthan boneyards.  Even the Birdseye company made use of it flying processing / freezer pods to outlying farms to process their harvest on the spot then collecting them a few days later for transfer direct to the local supermarket …

After the original Chinook production ended, Kaman bought up retired airframes to cannibalise for building a small helicopter for the business market.  As its inaugural flight was scheduled for January 1st, 2000, the prototype Kaman GyroEgg was given the registration number N0001.  One of the ground crew had  a wicked sense of humour & put a dab of yellow paint on the lower portion of the 1 in the registration number, being (quite rightly) disgusted at the design of this “aircraft”.

On January 1st the GyroEgg took off, rising quickly to 500 feet where a nasty grinding noise was heard – the upper gearbox had failed bringing the top rotor to a sudden standstill.  The Egg started to spin like its namesake, whereupon the pilot cut the engines to descend in auto-rotation.  There was no expectation from the pilot that the landing would be anything good & he hung on with grim thoughts …

Indeed, the crash-landing was more of the former than the latter & even Humpty-Dumpty had a better chance of being put back together than the first, & only, GyroEgg – happily the pilot survived with only minor injuries.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #421 on: January 10, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »
Convair needed a large airliner in their range & decided to make the best of the Boeing B-36 design creating an airliner for long-distance routes.  The initial mock-up shown to airline executives was a regular B-36 with a paint job showing window placement - Pan-Am was the first airline to order it for their South American routes, calling it the Brazilia & naming each aircraft after South American countries.  Suggestions from the pilots were a lowering of the wing to a mid position & a more-conventional cockpit area doing away with the B-36’s distinctive large bubble canopy.  Soon company maintenance men were complaining that their hangers couldn’t accommodate the tall tail-fin so, as a folding-fin upper section was deemed to weaken the structure too much, the second batch featured a twin-fin – this version also introduced a more modern airliner cockpit arrangement.  Unfortunately only a few Brazilias were built as the newer all-jet airliners were becoming available.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:48:10 PM by raafif »

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #422 on: January 10, 2017, 12:44:09 PM »
The Yak-60 helicopter was a good extra-large helicopter but a double-deck version was requested & became the standard passenger helicopter for airlines.  While export versions retained the regular 4-engine layout, Soviet ones received two extra engines making it a 6-engined aircraft with contra-rotating blades to absorb the power – this was used almost exclusively by Aeroflot.  A freighter version was built for both military & civil use ….

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #423 on: January 10, 2017, 12:46:06 PM »
With the forced-landing of three Airbus A-380s into the ocean & the massive loss of life, flyingboats & WIGs became popular again – at least they can alight on the water & not sink immediately.  Russia was the only country to continue building new craft so most airlines, including Qantas, ordered some to offset the new passenger aversion to land-based long-distance aircraft.

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #424 on: January 10, 2017, 01:35:48 PM »
I mainly love your huge helicopters :-*