Current and Finished Projects > Profiles and Pixels

American Zerstorer

<< < (3/3)

GTX_Admin:

--- Quote from: Acree on January 12, 2019, 10:18:28 AM ---GTX Admin: I can't find a gross weight for the Bf 110A, but the B was almost exactly the same weight as the A-18 (12,462 pounds for the 110B vs. 13,170 for the A-18).  Considering how well streamlined the fuselage of the Shrike seems to be, this leads me to conclude that the wing profile was probably the problem with the A-18. 

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I thought that when I looked at the wing area.  It would be interesting to see what might have been possible had they changed the wing, at least outboard of the engines.  For instance, I wonder if they could have adopted the same wings as for the P-36 that was first flown at about the same time - basically putting these outboard of the engines.  If successful, they might also have looked at fitting the aircraft with turbochargers common to the B-17.

tankmodeler:
Was the wing construction of the A-18 mixed with metal forward and fabric aft? That could account for some of the draggy-ness of it. And, yeah, with similar weights and shapes there has to be a drag element in there somewhere and the wings certainly seem to be a prime area to look at. The rest of the fuselage, notwithstanding the semi-recessed gear, is pretty clean. Especially if it's flush riveted throughout. I don't know if it is and that would be a hit to drag if it wasn't.

Paul

apophenia:
Oooo, lots to choose from there but your turreted A-18D-1 has gotta be my personal fav  :smiley:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version