Author Topic: Photobucket woes +++ Now with FIX for Firefox & Chrome! (late Aug 2017)  (Read 13699 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Greg, a question. At the moment you have the forum set so we can directly download photos from our computers to a forum post, are you considering changing it to where we have to use a 3rd party host.

MOD EDIT:
Now with a fix for Firefox and Chrome: LINK!

Many thanks to Alvis! :icon_beer:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:20:57 PM by ChernayaAkula »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Photobucket woes
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 02:47:45 AM »
Greg, a question. At the moment you have the forum set so we can directly download photos from our computers to a forum post, are you considering changing it to where we have to use a 3rd party host.

Wasn't planning to - why?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 05:56:11 AM »

Wasn't planning to - why?

Have you been following what PhotoBucket are doing

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 06:13:36 AM »
I note the Photobucket development but am a little confused by your original question still.  Currently people can upload photos etc (within some size limits) or they can use various external hosting providers.  Maybe I am missing something but I am not sure why I would be asked "are you considering changing it to where we have to use a 3rd party host."?

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 07:28:30 AM »
I believe Robert is referencing the What-If forum policy of 'no attachments', they have the option turned off.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 08:03:15 AM »
Sorry Greg, I'm not being very clear am I.  I hope you keep the forum as it is because I really detest having to use a 3rd party host so I can post photos on the other forums I frequent. Photo Bucket has just changed it's policy so that only the most expensive plan they have (US$399 per year) is the only plan that they will allow any photos to be linked to a forum etc and I'm using PB.  A lot of the members have had their photos disconnected so nothing shows in the forum anymore.  If my photos stop showing on the other forums I won't be jumping over to another photo hosting website, it will be I just won't post photos anymore there. It would mean there's no point going on these forums anymore. This would be the only place I would visit (although not that's a bad thing  ;) )

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 01:57:30 AM »
My plan is to keep the forum as it is...if only because I am lazy. ;)  The only thing I am thinking of is changing hosting providers - please feel free to recommend options via PM to me.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 04:36:30 AM »
I believe Robert is referencing the What-If forum policy of 'no attachments', they have the option turned off.

Not just What-If Jon, Secret Projects Forum, The Airfix Tribute Forum, BritModeler to name a few. Plus if you want to attach a photo on a PM here, you have to go the Photobucket route --- won't be able to anymore.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 05:07:28 AM »
Plus if you want to attach a photo on a PM here, you have to go the Photobucket route --- won't be able to anymore.

Sorry but attaching images (or otherwise) to PMs is simply not a feature the forum software seems to allow.  It is not a choice we have made.

Additionally, remember that there are other options than the PB one for external hosting.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 06:08:35 AM »
Plus if you want to attach a photo on a PM here, you have to go the Photobucket route --- won't be able to anymore.

Sorry but attaching images (or otherwise) to PMs is simply not a feature the forum software seems to allow.  It is not a choice we have made.

Additionally, remember that there are other options than the PB one for external hosting.

No worries Greg, but the external hosting route I'm done with. I'm going to see if I can do it through my ISP, I think I have 'x' amount of storage space with my plan and I'll find out if I can link whatever that I can store there.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 02:06:58 PM »

Not just What-If Jon, Secret Projects Forum, The Airfix Tribute Forum, BritModeler to name a few. Plus if you want to attach a photo on a PM here, you have to go the Photobucket route --- won't be able to anymore.

The Secretprojects attachment option is turned on, I used it this morning.

The PB thing is weird, I haven't been affected, my images still show, and if you look at Greg's posts
where he's linked to his PB albums, his are also still showing.

I have a feeling something else is going on to cause the issues folks are having.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 09:08:25 PM »

The Secretprojects attachment option is turned on, I used it this morning.

The PB thing is weird, I haven't been affected, my images still show, and if you look at Greg's posts
where he's linked to his PB albums, his are also still showing.

I have a feeling something else is going on to cause the issues folks are having.

Hmm, yes, mine are still showing too.  But there's a lot of reports from the PC World that it is happening to a lot of people. 

There was a pop-up a couple of days ago which at first I was ignoring, then I answered the question which was 'what do you use PB for' and there was a couple of pre-answers which you could check-off. I answered 3rd party.  I wonder if that is something to do with it --  I also have all my photo albums locked as private, could that be why I can still see my links on the forums.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 10:22:23 PM »
I haven't checked in the last few hours but mine were all showing.

I'm on the minimum paid storage increment, so I'm wondering if being a paying user is anything to do with it.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 02:42:09 AM »
<...> I'm wondering if being a paying user is anything to do with it.

I'm not quite sure, as my pics are still showing (AFAIK) and I'm still a non-paying user. Then again, my PB account only has about 200MBs worth of pics in it, meaning I probably don't generate a whole lot of traffic (so much for "excessive hot-linking", whatever that means). I've signed up there in mid-2006, so almost 11 years ago. I think PB changed owners in the meantime, so maybe that has something to do with it? Something similar has happened to me with Amazon's Lovefilm. Signed up for a DVD-by-mail-scheme (no streaming in this neck of the woods, line's too slow) for a flat fee with two films with me at any given time. They've since changed to far less favourable conditions, but they still have to honour these old contracts.

Test pic - showing a test scheme, no less  ;D
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 01:37:48 PM »
I'm seeing the "no 3rd party hosting" pics on forums all over  :-\
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 07:41:39 AM »
I'm seeing the "no 3rd party hosting" pics on forums all over  :-\
same here
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 11:55:21 PM »
<...> as my pics are still showing <...>

Yeah, so much for that.... :icon_twisted: Looks like my links are busted now as well.
Cheers,
Moritz

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2017, 05:55:54 AM »
<...> as my pics are still showing <...>

Yeah, so much for that.... :icon_twisted: Looks like my links are busted now as well.

Mine too now, I received an email this morning saying my links have been disconnected but if I cough up the ransom everything will be fine

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 05:20:54 AM »
Just in case anyone needed a thumbnail of all this:

No 3rd party hosting from free accounts.

3rd party hosting will be disabled after December 31, 2018 for paid Plus accounts below the extortionate $400/year level:

TOS linky

Relevant bit:

"ANY PAYING MEMBER WHOSE PLUS ACCOUNT WAS IN GOOD STANDING AS OF JUNE 1, 2017, SHALL CONTINUE TO RECEIVE ALL THE PHOTOBUCKET SERVICES THAT WERE AVAILABLE TO HIM/HER ON SUCH DATE, INCLUDING IMAGE LINKING AND 3RD PARTY IMAGE HOSTING, UNTIL DECEMBER 31, 2018 AS LONG THEY MAINTAIN THEIR CURRENT PLUS ACCOUNT SUBSCRIPTION OR A HIGHER LEVEL PLUS ACCOUNT SUBSCRIPTION DURING SUCH PERIOD OF TIME."

I just renewed at the end of May. Had I known this was coming, I wouldn't have.

I hope this helps and apologies if the above is now common knowledge.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 07:44:22 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 05:36:51 AM »
You know, it wouldn't surprise me if they end up doing a runner ----

But for everyones info, I deleted all my albums, then deleted the account with them.  I think I have some photos here which I had linked to PB, sorry if they are now deleted.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 05:38:54 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 11:03:47 AM »
Whoa! They're a quite an optimistic bunch, aren't they? Expecting to still have members one and a half years from now! I suppose they'll be lucky if they survive this year. 

<...> I received an email this morning saying my links have been disconnected but if I cough up the ransom everything will be fine

They didn't even bother sending me an e-mail. Guess they think I don't have any moneyz they could extort.  ;D
Cheers,
Moritz

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 04:21:49 PM »
A damned shame that there is no way to throat punch PB for being a giant douche-nozzle
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 12:52:44 AM »
@Brian: Thank you for taking the time to summarize the PB extortion letter.

@Jeff: To add to your throat punch, a 6 yard shot to their bleep-bleep via a soccer ball
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 02:56:54 AM »
Folks,

I have split off the discussion around the recent PhotoBucket changes to its own thread.

Kind regards,

Greg

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 07:25:52 PM »
Hows Imigur working with all this? Im not seeing too many problems with that. Yet.
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud