Current and Finished Projects > Profiles and Pixels

Matthews Aviation Art

<< < (2/38) > >>

Jeffry Fontaine:
Eye candy with wings!  :)

F-105 Thunderchief has always been one of my favorite aircraft subjects. 

AXOR:
Yes,excellent images John,L-133 and XB-51 have an incredible design,especially L-133!

GTX_Admin:
 :)

john_matthews129:

--- Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on June 26, 2017, 01:18:49 AM ---Eye candy with wings!  :)

F-105 Thunderchief has always been one of my favorite aircraft subjects.

--- End quote ---

Thank you so much Jeffry!  The 105 has been a favorite of mine forever.  I think it was the first model kit I ever put together when I was around seven or so.  If I remember correctly it was this Revell kit:

Probably turned out to be a glue bomb, but I remember thinking it was pretty cool.

Like all of my artwork, this has to start as a 3D model.  I'm working hard to keep the model easy to apply textures (paint) to later and I want it to be as authentic as I can possibly make it.  I'll make sure to post updates.

-John

john_matthews129:

--- Quote from: AXOR on June 26, 2017, 01:52:43 AM ---Yes,excellent images John,L-133 and XB-51 have an incredible design,especially L-133!

--- End quote ---

Thanks Alex!  I had never heard of the L-133 before checking out the secretprojects.co.uk website.  For a late 1930's design, it looked pretty cool.  Can't imagine how dominant it may have been over Europe or the Pacific if it had been green-lighted for development.  I was really captivated by it.  Scott Lowther published an article about it in his Aerospace Projects Review series (still available at http://www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com/ev1n4.htm).  That had a lot of internal and external arrangement illustrations.  There was also a great "Air Classics" article about it a couple years ago in which the son of one of the designers (Hawkins, I think?) was interviewed.  I must have made at least six attempts to get that fuselage right.  It's all blended, and there aren't many straight lines on it, so there was a lot of sculpting going on with that one.  There are a couple areas I'd do better, but at some point it's time to step back, say "finished", and move forward, you know?  In comparison, the XB-51 was a bit easier to model, but still presented some challenges.

Lots of innovation in the XB-51 also.  More than many take into account, I think.

On my website I always write something initially regarding the history of the aircraft and its relevance.  Hopefully it's not a crashing bore, but I think it's important.

It's always rewarding to grab something from your mind, a photo, or a set of drawings and turn it into something fun.  One of the reasons I turned those into tribute artwork is that there are so few people (outside of propeller heads like those of us here) who have ever heard of them.  Then there are others who do know about them, but only have images from the Internet available.  I wanted to do something so anyone who appreciated these (or any of the art I create) can have something to enjoy. 

Thanks again for the compliment!

-John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version