Author Topic: Talos' Profiles - He 100 and He 280  (Read 79596 times)

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
Re: Talos' Profiles - He 100 and He 280
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2012, 10:12:38 PM »
Thanks, Apoph! I'm still revising the shapes a little bit. Might shorten the rear canopy a little, since the He 100 is several feet shorter then the 112. I am rather pleased how the aft fuselage came out. Sleeker then I thought it would be.

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2012, 08:50:09 AM »
Cross-posting this from another forum I post at. This is something I've been working on while working on line art for Logan.

Late last year I started working on a Star Wars project I've always wanted to do, a fully-detailed, shaded, and weathered Y-Wing profile. I haven't gotten it done yet, only the astromechs are finished or near-finished depending on the model, but I realized I would need to do shading and weathering practice before I'm ready to do that. I would also need to improve my Photoshop and Illustrator skills.

My choice of a subject was an old favorite of mine, the Viper Mk II from the reimagined Battlestar Galactica. I had the Zoic renders of the filming CGI model to use as a base, but I really wanted to amp up all the details as much as I could. I found a lot of pictures of the full-scale mockup online and used it as a source for additional detail, including the TV series rescue point (actually an aftermarket car fuel door) that replaced the decal that was on the Viper during the Miniseries, as well as the little cables and wires in the access panels in the forward fuselage. It's not finished yet, the cockpit interior, wings, wingtips, cannons, and the access panels in the upper and lower engines still need to be finished.

I'm uploading two versions of the line art that's done so far, normal size with everything and enlarged with the cannons removed so you can see the detail they cover up. I've also done the Vigilantes squadron patch and Viper spacecraft patch that I'll have on the final profile, and started the Primus patch that's going on the nose, as well as an example nameplate that will go on one of the Vipers (Husker's N7242C/7242NC).  The final two pictures are initial shading tests and aren't representative of how the final profile will look. I was just experimenting and practicing in Photoshop to get used to it. The font seen on the tail unit and the nameplate is "Husker" by AppleCave on Fontstruct. It's pretty darn close to the original and a great font. When I do the final profile I'll include a credit for it.

« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2012, 05:35:39 AM »
^ Great stuff!

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2012, 10:25:16 AM »
Thanks, Empty Handed.

I was working on some stuff for Logan earlier today and found this in my files that I had started. I don't know when or if I'll ever get around to finishing it though, but here's the boilerplate.

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2012, 08:45:32 AM »
I finally updated the He 100 and 280 yesterday, tweaking the bubble canopy on the former and adding a single tail on the latter based on a drawing I saw. Also posting all the BSG patches I did in the last week. I went through a whole bunch of them. The Raptors one is still incomplete until I can find the correct font for the rest of the wording.

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2012, 12:10:46 AM »
Good work

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2012, 08:35:57 AM »
Thanks, JP.

I've since pretty much finished all the patches I intended to do, 10 different squadron ones (two of which I'm including here in larger size), two Viper Weapon School (think TOPGUN) patches, and the Viper patch all the pilots wear.

I also whipped up a quick Viper Mk II version of the latter, though I might tweak that one later.

The line art has been updated and is almost done. The May 17th post has them because I updated the photobucket links, but I'm relinking them here. I also got a quick start on the Mk VII last week as well.

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2012, 08:55:55 AM »
Oh wow, I missed these!  Very nice patches Talos, very nice indeed!  The Vampires patch is definitely my favorite, keep it up man  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2012, 09:06:11 AM »
Thanks, Cliff! They came out pretty well. I might do a few more, we'll see, but my focus right now is on finishing the Viper line art and get started on the actual profile.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2012, 02:13:33 AM »
Hey! I still need some line art from you to finish our current project!   >:(   ;)

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2012, 12:51:54 AM »
I haven't updated this thread in a few months, so I thought I would toss in what I've done since then.

And now, Space Battleship Yamato stuff.

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2012, 01:05:01 AM »
Very nice patches man, you certainly have an eye for them  8)  Those Cosmo Navy ones look very real.
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2012, 02:25:32 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2012, 02:44:24 AM »
Thanks, Empty Handed.

I was working on some stuff for Logan earlier today and found this in my files that I had started. I don't know when or if I'll ever get around to finishing it though, but here's the boilerplate.

How about this inspiration from Tony Landis:

More here: http://www.edwardsflighttest.com/b70.html

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 02:48:12 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2012, 03:17:50 AM »
Love the Artic Rescue variant; very interesting

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
Re: Talos' Profiles - Battlestar Galactica and other updates
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2013, 08:34:31 AM »
Catching back up on what I've been doing recently.

Yamato: I found the correct font for the ship names in Yamato 2199, it's the same font the JMSDF uses on their ships. I mocked up a nameplate for the Yukikaze a while back as a test to see how it looked. I also started on a Yamato beer label from a recent episode. Just need to do a bit of text and it's done.

Now on to Battlestar Galactica. With the proper font for all the signage identified, I redrew and modified the Galactiguise release for my own use and I'm pretty sure I now have a nearly 100% accurate rendition of what we see on the show. One of the first things I did with it was completely redo my Viper Mk II nameplate. I got carried away and you can see the result. I'm still fiddling with the colors, as you can see in the four Viper Mk VII nameplates (they're thinner then the Mk II) in the next pic. I threw on a new nameplate and redid the serial number on my Mk II shading test and I think it looks much, much better now.

I wanted to see some color on the Mk VI line art I finished a while ago and since I had no immediate plans to shade it anyway, I did up a pair of profiles for it. The first one carries the same blue the CGI models were painted in and the second matches the much darker, full-scale mockups on the show.

Now onto line art. I recently did some tweaks to the  Mk II canopy to finish it up, as well as did a version closer to the filmed full-size bird, which differed from the CGI and blueprints. I also started on the "Hero" canopy frame from Starbuck's Viper in season 3 and 4. It's not finished yet, I'll completely redo it. I also, after a long marathon one day, finally finished the Mk VII line art, minus the cockpit interior. I also threw it into an updated size comparison.

Oh, and I got some line art for the He 100 and other stuff supporting projects with Logan, but you'll have to wait to see those.  ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2013, 08:53:18 AM »
Wow!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline bluesman

• Last of the Real Live Bluesmen
    • Magnum Creative Group
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2013, 11:59:20 PM »
Nice Vipers! I used the zoic renderings as my starting point too for my MK2. I want to do a really weathered version and I am playing around with doing on in markings from my old air Guard Unit.

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2013, 01:26:05 AM »
Nice Vipers! I used the zoic renderings as my starting point too for my MK2. I want to do a really weathered version and I am playing around with doing on in markings from my old air Guard Unit.

Thanks, bluesman! I saw your Mk II and that was actually what reminded me I needed to post updates I've been doing.  ;D Great job on it, it looks awesome.

I started with the Zoic model, like you said, and got a bunch of good reference pics of the full-size bird from Lee Stringer, one of the Zoic guys a while ago, so I've been adding more and more detail, including stuff I've never seen anyone else replicate like the rescue point the full-size mockup had during the show, with the goal of making the most detailed and accurate Viper profile around. Got most of the line art there done, but still need to work on my shading and weathering. I want to do a heavily weathered one as well. Not sure about non-BSG markings yet, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I intend to do one for the Mk VII too, which is going to be fun with the chipped paint.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2013, 02:56:35 AM »
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 03:04:56 AM by GTX_Admin »
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2013, 03:33:40 AM »
Vipers look great! I really like this though:

I'll get around to the Type 100 again sometime. I do intend to do a full profile of it. Just need to get in the mood to do some more Yamato work. Maybe after I get the new bluray.

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2013, 08:39:17 AM »
I've been working on some -REDACTED- He 100 lineart for Logan and got a random moment of inspiration and dashed this out this afternoon. It's still a work in progress, the exhaust is a stand-in, and the prop is the same old He 100 prop. Need to get better refs for both Spitfire parts and redo them. It also needs some more details added in before it's finished.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2013, 10:07:18 AM »
Very neat!  It definitely shows that it's workable!  That's a ways down our timeline, though...

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2013, 10:51:26 AM »
Yeah, I was surprised at how well the nose fit on. I was reading something and there was this great shot of the Buchon, that's what got me to do this. Really reminds me of a P-40 now. Since I've been reading a good book on the Tigers recently, makes me want to have this done up one of their planes with a shark mouth on that nose.... You know, for a 1950s movie or something.

A little down our timeline, but something to look forward to!

« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2013, 08:15:40 PM »
Very cool....... I like it