Author Topic: 1/72 Stuka Biplane - the Dükka  (Read 7211 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 Stuka Biplane - the Dükka
« on: October 25, 2014, 10:17:25 PM »
In March, 1916, the runner for a Bavarian regiment zigged when he should've zagged and was killed by a shellburst. So ended the short, anonymous life of one Adolf Hitler. Germany and the world would be forever changed.

In 1928, the Doppel-Deutsch Partei won a majority of seats in the Reichstag and took power. Doppel-Deutsch was mis-translated in English as "Double-Dutch" by the Berliner-Amerikaner Zeitung which caused no end of diplomatic embarrassment between the U.S. and Holland.

The two leaders of the Doppel-Deutsch Partei, the Twitler twins, were committed to making Germany a world power again.

Believing two is better than one, they insisted on a biplane design for the new Junkers attack aircraft. Thus the Dükka dive-bomber was born.

The biplane layout pleased Germany's dual-führers and was ordered into production. Soon the Dükka became a common sight in the skies over Deutschland.

Here the famous biplane dive-bomber is wearing 1935 Brenner Pass "crisis" camo and the new markings of the resurgent German Air Force featuring tri-color rudder-stripes of the restored German flag. While the Dükka had a powerful engine, heavy machine-gun armament and was capable of carrying a good bomb-load, by far it was most noted for its incredibly intimidating, streamlined spatted landing gear which was the envy of air arms world-wide.

The spats were so intimidating that three regiments of elite Italian mountain troops retreated at the mere sight of Dükkas in the distance. This was lucky because some ham-handed guy at the factory glued the bomb crutch on a bit crooked which may have made the Dükka less than an ideal bombing platform.

The Dükka's fortunes rose and fell with those of the Twitler twins. The aircraft was retired from service in 1940, the same year the Twitlers were ousted during a farmers' rebellion and executed by pitchfork. The only thing left of the Dükka is this long-neglected wind-tunnel test model.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:39:07 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/72 Stuka Biplane - the Dükka
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 10:35:24 PM »
The basis of this project is the 1/72 Special Hobby Junkers Ju-87A "Legion Condor". You've got to admit, that's some first-class box art:

Special Hobby kits aren't bad if you consider them as short-run kits. This means no locator pins and often matching parts are off by a little bit. Since mine was getting butchered anyway, this was no problem.

With a little sanding, the fuselage is set up ideally to convert this iconic aircraft into a biplane. One just needs some British RE-8 wings...

I needlessly complicated things by not using the RE-8 struts as well. 1/72 Albatross cabanes were used as well as some nameless "N" shaped inter-plane struts and aileron connectors which had to be modified to fit.

The model is rigged with busted steel guitar strings and brush-painted by hand with acrylics. Spanish Civil War Nationalist markings were used by simply rotating them so they form crosses. I saw someone else do this a while back and was inspired. I can't recall who it was, but I feel lucky to have come across such a great idea.

Outside of swapping out the wings & tailplanes with an RE-8, the only other mods were adding the wing guns and bombs from the spares box.

This model took me about a week to complete as I worked at a leisurely pace.

I hope you enjoyed the Dükka and reading a little bit of forgotten German history.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:47:09 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 01:03:49 AM »
Amazing! And very frightening if diving on me... ;)

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 01:14:26 AM »
Holy schnickies, I think this may be one of the best ones you've done so far! Huzzuah! Huzzah! huzzah!

Alvis 3.1

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 01:36:34 AM »
Truly original great imagination a and brilliantly done. Love the story too.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 03:59:44 AM »
Looks good that way! If one looks at some of the other aircraft from between the wars it totally fits.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 04:24:38 AM »
Outstanding work Brian - looks great! :)

It is also amazing how closely it looks to the real world Fieseler Fi 167:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 04:37:37 AM »
Maybe Dr. Fieseler had a quiet word in the designers ear ......  ;) ;)

Excellent misuse of a Stuka Mr. Basher, very well played!!!!  ;D ;D
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 09:43:42 AM »
Interesting how later models of the Stuka in RL lost that rather lovely and fine nose the early one had.

It's a good model and as usual, a well written back story.  Why do I find the Twitler Twin's eyes so hypnotic?  "Yess....master...."     ;D ;D

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 10:41:32 AM »
Outstanding work Brian - looks great! :)

It is also amazing how closely it looks to the real world Fieseler Fi 167:

Second to both comments.  Gorgeous bit of work, Brian.

I think I'm losing it, I keep imagining the Twitler twins images being used in Germany advertising for Double-Mint gum; probably frolicking with fraulien twins.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 12:09:29 PM »
Holy schnickies, I think this may be one of the best ones you've done so far! Huzzuah! Huzzah! huzzah!

Alvis 3.1

Like Alvis 3.1 said.
Got me convinced to try acrylic paint, at least in part, when I get to building again.  Should consult with you on colors too.
Superbly appropriate spats  :)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 07:10:26 PM »
Love it!

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 09:58:26 PM »
I've never liked the real Stuka (actually most German aircraft fall into this for me), but this does appeal to me for some reason. Very well done BdB  :)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 11:54:11 PM »
That is awesome!!  :-* I love the look of the early stuka, and this only improves on it! How did you think of this?
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 07:09:44 AM »
Very nice, all around. Build and paint work both work well

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 06:09:06 AM »
I'm not sure how folk feel about an older thread being bumped but I feel obliged to do so in this case - I love it! I'd never have guessed those were RE.8 wings, they fit so perfectly! Bravo Brian, what a winner!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 07:30:04 AM »
Older thread? ???

This one's positively prepubescent! ;)

You should see some of the threads that get revived around here! Anywhere else it'd be called necromancy! :o

;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 08:38:35 AM »
Revive any thread any time.
So many super builds here at BTS.  Good to revisit since the grey cells tend to fade.

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 03:15:40 PM »
WOW I missed this, fantastic work!!!!