Author Topic: 1/72 Nacho delta wing jet  (Read 5097 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 Nacho delta wing jet
« on: June 21, 2014, 09:47:17 PM »
The early 1960s were a time of transition for the Mexican Air Force, or Fuerza Aérea Mexicana. Equipped with U.S.-surplus aircraft that were hardly cutting-edge, they sought out the great aircraft designer, Octavio O'Toolio to come up with their next generation jet fighter.

Octavio O'Toolio tried many different design concepts, but found all of them lacking. Feeling dejected and out of ideas, he went to his favorite cantina for lunch. While waiting on his food, Octavio nibbled on some of the complimentary nachos. The design for the next generation jet fighter suddenly came to him...

A delta wing! Of course!

The new fighter was ordered right off the drawing board and Octavio O'Toolio's firm, Norte Aviación Cuidad Hernando was contracted to undertake mass production. When the first new delta wing jets were rolled out, jaws dropped in amazement.

Officially known as the XFD-0 Mk. 1, the Norte Aviación Cuidad Hernando company abbreviation and delta wing configuration ensured the new fighter would be called the N.A.C.H.-0 or Nacho.

Powered by the hottest Mexican jet engine yet developed, the  Habañero, and armed with four 20 m.m. and two 40 m.m. cannons, the Nacho was a fast, maneuverable and devastating gun platform. One burst from its guns could obliterate any target.

The delta wing Nacho was beloved by its pilots due to its speed and wonderful flight characteristics. Ground crews found the new fighter easy to maintain although they were at first confused by the especially thick red lubricating fluid they called "salsa". Woe to any mechanic who tried to substitute green "salsa" for red in the Nacho as the green was only intended for the large piston-engine transport known as the Chalupa.

The Naco had an undistinguished service career, its only combat taking place during the Refrito Rebellion of 1964 where it was used to cut the rebels' supply lines. While completely forgotten today, the Nacho was single-handedly responsible for the re-birth of the Mexican aircraft industry.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 10:23:30 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/72 Nacho delta wing jet
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 10:07:04 PM »
The basis for this kit is a 1/72 Emhar FJ-4B Fury I picked up for a song at the Renton Swap Meet last April. I'd never seen this aircraft kitted before, let alone in 1/72, so I was thrilled to have it.

Of course, mine wasn't going to end out looking anything like that wonderful box art. At first, I puzzled what to do with it, but then figured out some 1/48 F-15 tail planes would make nice wings, nice delta wings. Here's how it all looked before paint and final assembly.

While the F-15 tail was a good fit, it wasn't exact and left a slight trench where the kit parts should go. I could either use putty and go down the road of many sessions of PSR or find a simpler answer. That turned out to be cutting bits of sprue and adding them as wing-root cannons. While not perfect, I think they do the job and really add to the firepower. I also added some fins cut from card and used left-over sprue to cover the holes for the horiz. stabs. Lastly, I decided this baby needed tip-tanks and I stuck on ones from an Airfix F-80.

The model was brush-painted by hand in acrylics. Decals were from a Roundels of the World sheet Mr Fontaine sent me a while back (thanks, Jeff!) except for the codes and bang-seat warnings which were from a T-33.

This project took me about a week because work kept getting in the way. Few things are better for job stress than spending a little time model building.

I hope you like the model and enjoyed reading a little forgotten Mexican aviation history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 10:17:42 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 11:32:33 PM »
 :)
very nice

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 04:20:17 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 04:41:45 AM »
Wonderful, and imaginative as always.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 11:15:18 AM »
More BdB goodness...

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 09:39:05 AM »
Oh I love that! I was trying to place the wings but couldn't! Nice job with the F-15 fins!  :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 10:42:29 AM »
BdB mentioned a delta Fury was likely.  Unlike other BdB builds which I usually don't envision as working and am proven wrong, this one sounded good.  Well,,, Nacho jet is a fine scale-o-rama :)
Congrats on another convincing (is it fact or fiction?) backstory and kitbash combo  :) :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:56:39 PM by finsrin »

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 12:11:29 PM »
That is just too cool, Brian! I almost have to wonder if Senior O'Toolio worked at Dassault in the 1950s before returning to Mexico to design this plane.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 09:32:19 PM »
Well done again BdB  :)  it reminds me of another aircraft  ---- a Bantam perhaps -  :))

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 11:56:36 PM »
This tail-less plane has a harmonious silhouette! Congratulations for the designer and manufacturer...

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 12:59:36 AM »
Los chihuahuas es muy caliente!

Awesome, as always! ;D

Alvis 3.1

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 04:28:37 AM »
I must admit that when I first saw the title of this thread I had pictured something like this:

in a scheme closer to this:

;)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.