Author Topic: Macchi M.39 Santa Claus Special  (Read 4435 times)

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
Macchi M.39 Santa Claus Special
« on: December 23, 2013, 06:40:50 PM »
As everybody who knows anything about reindeer knows, reindeer must stop for a "short break" every 10 kilometers or so. That is fine when stopping at every house for delivering presents. When you'd rather not keep stopping all the time, it is good to have some other means of transportation. S. Claus found this one while traveling in Italy in late 1920s or early 1930s. At that time, it was equipped as a floatplane. For the winters, S. Claus installs the ski landing gear that he had built in his workshop.

I made a Macchi M.39T (landplane racer) some time ago, and was looking for other uses for the M.39. Then the obvious idea hit me a couple of days ago: put skis on it. Maybe a pilot too  ;D

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Macchi M.39 Santa Claus Special
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 12:32:57 PM »
Nice!
Is the plane name Petteri 2 related to the designer "Perttime" or else?

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 02:47:43 PM »
Nice!
Is the plane name Petteri 2 related to the designer "Perttime" or else?
Thanks!
The name is actually related to the name of Santa's famous red-nosed lead reindeer. English speaking people think that his name is Rudolph - but all Finns know that he is really Petteri Punakuono (Peter the Red Nose, or Peter the Red Snout).

On names:
My first name, Pertti, is a derivative of Albert. The "al" at the beginning of Albert doesn't come quite naturally for Finnish spekers, and ending at the "t" doesn't quite work either, so Albert has become "Bertie" but spelled the Finnish way. (The Finnish "P" is not "aspirated" like in English: it is more like "B" but sharper.)

... so, Petteri and Pertti come from different origins: Peter and Albert.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 01:06:33 AM »
Thanks for these unexpected and interesting explanations!