Author Topic: Heinkel He 112 A, Schweizer Luftwaffe, 1944  (Read 9236 times)

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
Heinkel He 112 A, Schweizer Luftwaffe, 1944
« on: December 13, 2013, 02:52:15 AM »
"A while ago" I traced a Heinkel He 112 V6 drawing from http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/he112.html , to get a sharper drawing.
Looks like I might get some flesh over its bones before New Year. It is coming along. I even have an idea for nationality.
I'm calling it done:

In October 1933, Hermann Göring sent out a letter requesting aircraft companies to consider the design of a "high speed courier aircraft". In May 1934, this was made official and the Technisches Amt sent out a request for a single-seat "sports aircraft". The specification was first sent to the most experienced fighter designers, Heinkel, Arado, and Focke-Wulf, and later to newcomer Bayerische Flugzeugwerke.

Heinkel's He 112 was constructed entirely of metal, using a two-spar wing and a monocoque fuselage with flush-head rivets. The landing gear retracted outward from the low point of the wing's gull-bend, which resulted in a fairly wide 9 m (30 ft) track, giving the aircraft excellent ground handling. Its only features from an older era were its open cockpit and fuselage spine behind the headrest, which were included to provide excellent vision and make the biplane-trained pilots feel more comfortable.

The first prototype, He 112 V1, started in the head-to-head contest when it arrived at Travemünde on 8 February 1936. Right away, the Focke-Wulf Fw 159 and Arado Ar 80 proved to be lacking in performance, and plagued with problems, and were eliminated from serious consideration. At this point, the He 112 was the favorite over the "unknown" Bf 109, but opinions changed when the Bf 109 V2, with a new engine, arrived on 21 March. The He 112 had better turn performance due to its larger wing, but the Bf 109 was faster at all altitudes and had considerably better agility and aerobatic abilities. We know what Germany chose.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

In 1930 Switzerland had decided to establish an effective air force. This was the start of a massive armament programme that would consume more than a billion francs over the next ten years. In large part, the money was used to acquire modern aircraft. The Swiss had followed the German fighter contest with great interest. Seeing how eager Ernst Heinkel was to get into fighter production, they secured a favorable contract for 12 He 112A fighters and a license for producing 30 more domestically.

Within a year of entering service the 12 new aircraft were already outdated and the domestic production was canceled. Instead, Switzerland followed up by ordering Messerschmitt Bf 109, Macchi MC.202 and Morane-Saulnier D03800 fighters, and relegating the He 112A to service as an advanced trainer. An enclosed cockpit was added to some of the Swiss Heinkels.

In 1944, red and white bands were added to Swiss aircraft to stop accidental attacks by straying Allied aircraft.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 03:21:03 AM by perttime »

Offline perttime

Re: Heinkel He 112 A
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 02:56:13 AM »
Some time in September, I think:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/perttime/9981593926/#

Mid December picture attached:

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 06:53:16 AM »
 Looks promising. Its probably not the nationality you had in mind, but I can't help seeing it in Nationalist Chinese colors, circa

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 06:59:38 AM »
I was just reading last night about Finnish trials of it and how they wanted to buy the He 112, but didn't have the budget after their D.XXI purchase.  I assume we'll see at least some Finnish examples?

Cheers,

Logan

Offline perttime

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 02:46:04 PM »
Finnish pilots got to test fly the B model which is significantly different. In addition to budgetary constraints, Germany wasn't selling it with the "good engines" either. A Finnish one is a possibility but I think I'll do something else first.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 02:52:16 PM »
Indeed.  The He 112A and He 112B were almost different aircraft, to say nothing of the "He 112U", which WAS a different aircraft!  I look forward to whatever you have planned, perttime.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline perttime

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 11:07:09 PM »
I've understood that "He 112U" was actually He 100 V8.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 11:31:09 PM »
Yes, it was.  One of the many designations that plane carried, especially considering how few were made.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 01:19:02 AM »
I can see the potential here!  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline perttime

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 09:14:38 PM »
Got some color ("aluminum grey") into the front view too. I want to see if I can make a side view with landing gear down.
A pilot in the open cockpit would be nice. We'll see...

Offline perttime

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 01:31:39 AM »
Landing gear (I think I have the height close enough) and some sort of a pilot shape:

Offline perttime

Re: Heinkel He 112 A, Schweizer Luftwaffe, 1944
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 12:56:59 AM »
Some more tweaking - and a bit of color... It'll do (by my standards).

More views above in the first post.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 01:17:21 AM »
Looks great, perttime!  Very well done!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline perttime

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 04:58:39 PM »
Thanks Logan!
It is a good looking design, and late WW2 time Swiss markings are striking enough  ;)