Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 905394 times)

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #1825 on: August 10, 2018, 02:00:40 AM »
The Bill Barnes profiles are great.   :smiley:  :icon_fsm:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #1826 on: August 10, 2018, 02:55:03 AM »
Thanks folks  :D

Commonwealth Aircraft Winjeel Turboprop Derivatives

The Commonwealth Aircraft CA-25 Winjeel was a 2-to-3 seat trainer which entered RAAF service in 1955. Intended as a basic to advanced trainer, the Winjeel was the RAAF's last single-piston-engined training aircraft. It was planned that the Winjeel would be replaced by the Macchi MB-326 as part of the RAAF's 'all through' jet training concept. But this never happened.

Studies showed that a propeller-driven 'medium' training aircraft was still required to keep attrition to an acceptably low standard. By 1970, however, the performance of the aging Winjeels was seen as totally inadequate for such a role. Commonwealth revived an earlier proposal for a turboprop-powered Winjeel. [1] To test the airframe's potential, CAC rebuilt one RAAF aircraft (CA25-22, A85-422) as the turboprop-powered CA-25T Turbo-Winjeel.

'Pinnochio', as the sole CA-25T Turbo-Winjeel was inevitably dubbed, was fitted with a 500 shp PT6A-6/C20 turboprop [2] in a DHC-2T Turbo-Beaver cowling provided by engine-maker, Pratt & Whitney Canada. The CA-25T modifications were seen as a success, serving to prove the general concept. However, the Turbo-Winjeel also revealed the limitations of the quarter-century-old Winjeel airframe. To provide a suitable turboprop 'medium' trainer for the RAAF, considerable redesign would be required.

A review of potential Winjeel replacements recommended the Beech T-34C Turbo-Mentor with the as-yet unflown Pilatus PC-7 as backup. The latter was rejected by the RAAF as unproven. The T-34 airframe, on the other hand, dated back to the early 1950s - well-proven but conceptually older than the Winjeel it was meant to replace. The Turbo-Mentor was also criticized as being too small an airframe to take full advantage of the PT6A powerplant. Commonwealth proposed a new design based heavily upon the RAAF's proven CA-25 Winjeel airframe.

The new trainer design, designated CA-35 Bunjil, [3] was a joint project between CAC and Pilatus Flugzeugwerke. The latter was to supply components from its soon to be produced PC-7 - canopy and cockpit fittings, engine mounts and cowling, and the retractable landing gear - which Commonwealth Aircraft would incorporate into a revised and strengthened Winjeel airframe. That airframe featured a narrower fuselage for its tandem seat cockpit and a large dorsal fin to added stability. [4] The powerplant was the same PT6A-20 engine used in RAAF Pilatus Turbo-Porter utility transports.

The CA-35 Bunjil entered RAAF service as medium trainers in early 1979, joining the PAC CT/4A Airtrainers which had taken up the basic training role in 1975.

[1] This scheme was for a PT6A-powered agricultural derivative of the Winjeel as a follow-on to the Wirraway-based CA-28 Ceres. This proposed agricultural CA-25 was never built.

[2] The PT6A-6/C20 was an available PT6A-6 engine brought up to PT6A-20 standards.

[3] Bunjil is an Aboriginal creator deity. The Kulin nation of central Victoria depict Bunjil as an eaglehawk.

[4] Flight trials quickly revealed the need for more side area. A substantial ventral fin was added to the Bunjil prototype and then became a recognition feature of production-model CA-35s.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #1827 on: August 10, 2018, 03:59:12 AM »
Looks a natural in RAF colors and I especially like the bottom one.

Excellent work and very easy on the eyes too!

Brian da Basher

What Brian said. Great ideas for future builds.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #1828 on: August 10, 2018, 06:58:30 AM »
Your CA-35 Bunjil looks every bit the business and brings to mind the SA Bulldog.

Great stuff! Your talent is off the charts!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1829 on: August 11, 2018, 06:21:35 AM »
Outstanding on all of these, especially the Viggens
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #1830 on: August 11, 2018, 01:18:14 PM »
Outstanding on all of these, especially the Viggens
+1

Interesting Viggens, I like the look of the 37-X-2, but wonder how it would do with a RM8D, being similar to the other RM8 versions, but based on the aerodynamically improved bits from the JT8D-200 series engines (perhaps with a slightly cropped fan to work with the existing intake mass flows and dimensions).  Another what-if with British engines would be an afterburning RB.142 Medway.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1831 on: August 12, 2018, 04:05:09 AM »
Thanks folks!

Evan: On the Medway, do mean an afterburning version retaining the RB.142's vectoring thrust nozzles?

It seems that, at the time, interest in the Medway was being eclipsed by the Spey. Of course, the The RB.177 (advanced Medway) was originally in the running to power the Viggen. According to Flight, the "Lack of British Government support swung the balance in favour of [P&W]."

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1962/1962%20-%201015.html

I suspect that the outcome was more complicated than that. The Swedes rightly wanted a proven core and one that wouldn't leave them operating an 'orphan'. The RAF not ordering any aircraft powered by the RB.177 was likely a big part of what pushed Sweden towards the JT8D.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1832 on: August 12, 2018, 04:06:29 AM »
Back to the 'Bou ...

Updating the 'Bou (Two)

Another take on re-engining the Australian Caribou fleet. This time, instead of the Avco (Lycoming) LTC4C-10, I'm going more Real World ... kinda.

Here, the RAAF transports receivetwin 2,850 hp GE T64-GE-4 turboprops. These are the same powerplants as were installed in the first prototype Caribou airframe when modified as an engine testbed in September 1961. [1] As on that testbed, the GE T64s are 'inverted' with their exhaust pipes routed above the wings.

Other than revised nacelles and engine mounts, the only major change was the blanking-off of the forwardmost cabin windows - which happened to be in line with the propeller discs. The complete aircraft has also been fitted with the nose radome from the related DHC-5 Buffalo.

[1] Although photographed in RCAF markings, the YT64 flight tests for the US Navy for whom the GE engine was being developed. The Canadian Department of Defence Production was co-sponsor for this project.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #1833 on: August 12, 2018, 02:51:08 PM »
Thanks folks!

Evan: On the Medway, do mean an afterburning version retaining the RB.142's vectoring thrust nozzles?

It seems that, at the time, interest in the Medway was being eclipsed by the Spey. Of course, the The RB.177 (advanced Medway) was originally in the running to power the Viggen. According to Flight, the "Lack of British Government support swung the balance in favour of [P&W]."

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1962/1962%20-%201015.html

I suspect that the outcome was more complicated than that. The Swedes rightly wanted a proven core and one that wouldn't leave them operating an 'orphan'. The RAF not ordering any aircraft powered by the RB.177 was likely a big part of what pushed Sweden towards the JT8D.
No, one without the vectoring thrust nozzles; let's not make things over-complicated.  What's really funny is that the JT8D likely would not have originated, or at least not as early, if it wasn't for RR's arrogance.  They had the original engine the 727 was designed around (from size, I'd have to say the Medway) and their refusal to build a US support and overhaul facility meant that a strong early user of the 727 was going to back out due to getting burned by poor support of the Dart engines on the Viscount used by that airline.  Boeing got frantic and called P&W who managed to whip up a fan engine with a J52 core (if you look, the J52 is classed as a JT8B by P&W) and the rest is history.

Offline Damian

• Some of his profiles take longer to do than kits I've made...
  • Did you miss me?
« Reply #1834 on: August 13, 2018, 12:28:22 AM »
Back to the 'Bou ...

Updating the 'Bou (Two)

Another take on re-engining the Australian Caribou fleet. This time, instead of the Avco (Lycoming) LTC4C-10, I'm going more Real World ... kinda.

Here, the RAAF transports receivetwin 2,850 hp GE T64-GE-4 turboprops. These are the same powerplants as were installed in the first prototype Caribou airframe when modified as an engine testbed in September 1961. [1] As on that testbed, the GE T64s are 'inverted' with their exhaust pipes routed above the wings.

Other than revised nacelles and engine mounts, the only major change was the blanking-off of the forwardmost cabin windows - which happened to be in line with the propeller discs. The complete aircraft has also been fitted with the nose radome from the related DHC-5 Buffalo.

[1] Although photographed in RCAF markings, the YT64 flight tests for the US Navy for whom the GE engine was being developed. The Canadian Department of Defence Production was co-sponsor for this project.

I would imagine that it wuld have the potential to make a rather nifty gunship.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1835 on: August 14, 2018, 06:08:20 AM »
No, one without the vectoring thrust nozzles; let's not make things over-complicated.  What's really funny is that the JT8D likely would not have originated, or at least not as early, if it wasn't for RR's arrogance.  They had the original engine the 727 was designed around (from size, I'd have to say the Medway) and their refusal to build a US support and overhaul facility meant that a strong early user of the 727 was going to back out due to getting burned by poor support of the Dart engines on the Viscount used by that airline.  Boeing got frantic and called P&W who managed to whip up a fan engine with a J52 core (if you look, the J52 is classed as a JT8B by P&W) and the rest is history.

Yep, British aerospace and Boeing were well entangled over the 727. IIRC, Boeing was originally considering licensing the earliest-version D.H.121. BEA then insisted on a redesign making the Trident much smaller. Boeing wisely went ahead with something more akin to the original DH.121 in scale.

When announced, the 727 was offered with either the 12,750 lbf Rolls-Royce/Allison AR 963 (RB.163 Spey) or the JT8D. Seems that there were no takers for the Americanized Spey. (One article I read attributed that to previous poor US support for the Dart turboprop. Oddly, the R-R Conway was popular on CP Air DC-8s ... maybe R-R support was better in the Commonwealth?)

As for the Viggen powerplant choice, that contest was Rolls-Royce's to lose. In Not Much of an Engineer, Stanley Hooker defends the top brass at R-R but, in hindsight, the management do appear as a bunch of Muppets  :P

I would imagine that it wuld have the potential to make a rather nifty gunship.

Oh that's in the cards  ;)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1836 on: August 14, 2018, 06:29:38 AM »
Okay, I blew this one. Only once I'd gone too far did I realize that I placed the engine waaay too low. Oh well, what can ya do  :P

The Blackburn Blackfish Carrier Fighter

Air Ministry Specification N.9/38 was a rather demanding requirement for a Gloster Sea Gladiator replacement. AM Spec N.9/38 stipulated that the new fighter be powered by the new Rolls-Royce Griffon V-12 engine (for which the Fleet Air Arm had priority). The Specification asked for a heavy, single-seat aircraft - what would later be termed a 'strike fighter'. For its attack role, at least one 40mm autocannon was demanded along with detachable bomb racks.

Blackburn Aircraft answered N.9/38 with its Blackfish carrier-borne naval fighter monoplane, based around Rolls-Royce's extension shaft concept for the Griffon V-12. The cannon armament was accommodated by a 'hollow' propeller shaft allowing the gun to fire through the prop hub (a la the US Bell Airacobra). This arrangement resulted in a weight penalty but suited a carrier aircraft in placing the cockpit well forward to provide good visibility over a comparatively slender nose.

The Admiralty was very nervous about an untried engine combined with a complex drive system. However, the Blackburn submission gained favour through its inclusion of a number of airframe components in common with Blackburn's existing carrier types - the Skua divebomber and the Roc turret fighter. [1] Both of these earlier types were to be eclipsed in both service and production lines by the new Blackfish attack fighter.

Concern over a new engine in a radical arrangement proved warranted. Despite using some existing components, the prototype Blackfish did not fly until late 1940. The powerplant was a unique Rolls-Royce Griffon IES (RG1SM-ES) which was underpowered and overweight. Armament was no better than the Sea Gladiator - a mere four wing-mounted 0.303" guns (with Rolls only able to provide a mockup of its 40mm autocannon). It was not until the end of 1940 that the definative 1,730 hp Griffon IIBES (RG2SM-ES) engine was installed along with a non-firing example of the Rolls-Royce cannon.

Plans for a production Blackfish Mk.I died with the aborted Griffon I. The Blackfish Mk.II, following the pattern of the upgraded prototype, entered production in the summer of 1941. The Mk.IIs were employed as operational trials aircraft. Two conclusions were quickly drawn - the Blackfish was too large and heavy for routine carrier use, and the stipulated 40mm autocannon was all too prone to jamming. The slightly revised Blackfish Mk.IIa adopted a dorsal fin to improve control while landing on. Armament was changed to the more reliable 20mm British Hispano cannons. [2]

The Blackfish came in to its own with the Mk.IV model based on Malta. [3] Exclusively a land-based fighter, the Blackfish Mk.IV dispensed with carrier equipment as a weight savings. Armament changed again. The Mk.IV returned to the four 0.303" Brownings and a 40mm autocannon. But, now, the nose cannon was the less jam-prone Vickers gun. The Vickers 40mm proved devastating against light surface craft and equally effective against intercepted bombers. The latter was a rare occurance, however. The Blackfish never attained the promised performance [4] and was eclipsed by the superior, two-seat Fairey Firefly in Admiralty plans.

[1] The Blackfish wing centre section was common to both the Skua and Roc. Skua outer wing panels were used unchanged other than the tips being 'clipped'. The rear fuselage of the Blackfish was based upon the earlier types but all tail surfaces were enlarged.

[2] The 20mm Hispano was mounted in both the propeller hub and inner wing gun positions. The 0.303" Brownings were retained in the outboard wing gun positions.

[3] The Blackfish Mk.III was a project for a float fighter derivative which remained unbuilt.

[4] Hyperboly over anticipated Blackfish performance led to the pilots' nickname of 'Blatherskite'. Overstrained carrier deck crews simply dubbed the Blackburn fighter 'the Brute'.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #1837 on: August 14, 2018, 07:28:38 AM »
That engine's not low, there's gearing involved!

Great stuff! I like the Boos too!

Brian da Basher

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #1838 on: August 15, 2018, 01:39:25 AM »
Great job.... :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
In the folder I made with your work I count about 266...truly inspirational....
Thank you man !!!  :smiley:
Alex

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1839 on: August 15, 2018, 06:25:45 AM »
Thanks guys!

Alex: 266  :o   Diagnosis = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder ... or maybe just too much time on my hands  ;D

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1840 on: August 16, 2018, 05:45:51 AM »
I guess this is '267'?  :P

Updating the 'Bou (Three)

The most radical re-engining concept for the RAAF Caribou fleet came as a Private Venture proposal from Hawker de Havilland Australia. In this scheme, the piston engined DHC-4s were to be transformed into STOL jet transports. The original Caribou engines would be replaced by vectoring-thrust Rolls-Royce Pegasus BE.53/2 turbofans in  nacelles derived from those of the still-born Dornier Do 31E. [1]

HdH began work at its Bankstown NSW plant on a privately-procured DHC-4A to convert this airframe to 'Pegasus-Caribou' standards. Other than changing nacelle mounts to suit the DHC-4A wing, the engine installation caused no real difficulties. The aircraft did require a completely new main undercarriage [2] and HdH initiated a series of other changes and improvements to their prototype conversion. These included a 'glass' cockpit; a throughly rebuilt nose section (incorporating both weather radar and an E/O turret); and, to improve slow-speed control, upswept wingtips and auxiliary tail surfaces attached to the horizontal tailplane. [2]

(Top) Prototype 'Pegasus-Caribou' conversion prior to completion

The finished DHC-4P 'Pegasus-Caribou' conversion was unveiled at the 1988 Australian International Airshow at RAAF Richmond in NSW. The full performance of this prototype was not apparent as its underdeveloped main undercarriage was fixed in the 'down' position. However, some control problems had been revealed in slow-speed flying tests. The auxiliary tail surfaces proved to be much too small while the 'winglets' slowed rolling manoeuvres while hampering side-slipping. Standard DHC-4 wingtips were reintroduced and a series of different-sized experimental dorsal fins were introduced through the DHC-4P's flight testing phase.

Formal RAAF test flights were undertaken at RAAF Base Amberley - west of Brisbane - in the final configuration of the 'Pegasus-Caribou' prototype. By this stage, the auxiliary fins had been removed and a very large fibreglass dorsal fin had been adopted. A production-type retractable main undercarriage was installed along with a fully-function E/O turret. [3] After testing, RAAF planners concluded that the 'Pegasus-Caribou' was too complex and expensive to suit its requirement for a direct Caribou replacement. However, the type showed great promise for a dedicated assault transport for special forces.

A new specification was drawn up to match the 'Pegasus-Caribou' and orders issued for four aircraft with options for two more. To be known as the HdH-4P SASR Caribou, the RAAF type differed from the prototype in retaining the standard DHC-4 nose and being 'equipped for but not fitted with' much of their potential upgrades. Provision was made for future installation of weather radar radomes and for the fitting of twin E/O turrets on either side of the cockpit. [4]

In late 1990, the first 'production' SASR Caribou conversion was delivered to No 35 (Special Operations) Squadron based at RAAF Base Pearce, just north of Perth, WA. This basing was dictated by the Special Air Service Regiment (SASR) being located at Swanbourne, WA. No 35 SO would eventually receive all six HdH-4Ps just in time to be divided into two permanent detachments - 'Det A' remained at RAAF Pearce to support Tactical Assault Group (West) with three SASR Caribou; 'Det B' went to RAAF Base Richmond north-west of Sydney to support the Tactical Assault Group (East). [5]

(Bottom) HdH-4P SASR Caribou in service with No 35 (SO) Squadron. This aircraft has Stage 3 upgrades including new nose radar, twin IAI POP200 E/O turrets installed, antennae fit, and defensive aid suite. [6]

[1] The German Do 31E was an experiment VTOL transport. Along with the thrust-vectoring Pegasus turbofans, the Do 31E also had wingtip-mounted lift-jet engines to provide vertical take-off. The short take-off 'Pegasus-Caribou' dispensed with such lift-jets.

[2] Tailoring the Rockwell 'glass' displays to the Caribou cockpit was the responsibility of HdH Systems Division co-located with the DSTO at Salisbury, SA.

[3] This Wescam MX-10 E/O replaced the dummy turret used as an aerodynamic 'shape' during earlier trials.

[3] The object of this installation approach was to allow the flight crew to dedicate on E/O turret to cockpit displays while SOF used the second E/O for tactical purposes. Alternatively, both E/Os could be employed to widen the swath of ground imaging.

[4] The core of Tactical Assault Group (West) was, of course, the SASR. The core of Tactical Assault Group (East) was the newly-formed 1st Commando Regiment. 1 Cdo Regt was based out of Randwick Barracks, Sydney.

[5] DAS included AN/ALR-69A RWR antennae (on each each of nose and above engine nacelles), IR jammers (mounts above engine nacelles, but not fitted here), and IR flare bays in the rear of each engine nacelle.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 05:47:30 AM by apophenia »

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #1841 on: August 16, 2018, 02:14:03 PM »

waouh !

do-able in plastic?

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #1842 on: August 17, 2018, 01:18:29 AM »

I bet I missed a few......but yes,267

Nice
Alex

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #1843 on: August 17, 2018, 09:27:10 AM »
Imagine the FOD issues with those podded Pegasus units.  :)

What aboot an upper wing mounted engine as seen on the Boeing YC-14 submission for the USAF Advanced Medium STOL Transport (AMST) competition or the Antonov An-72 Coaler
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #1844 on: August 17, 2018, 09:49:37 AM »
What a great concept!

I can just see it lifting off vertically from some hot LZ somewhere.

Your imagination is beyond impressive!

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #1845 on: August 17, 2018, 11:34:38 AM »
Beautiful!!  Perhaps a contoured inlet for each engine to reduce the chances of FOD ingestion?  Something like what was done for the CFM56 on the 737?

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1846 on: August 18, 2018, 07:24:39 AM »
Thanks folks!

ericr: I would think quite 'do-able'. These a number of 1/72nd scale DHC-4s (I believe that the Hobbycraft and Kitech kits are quite similar) and Planet Models do a 1/72 resin Dornier Do 31E (PLT201). Amodel and OzMods do 1/44 Caribous while Anigrand does a combo-kit of German VTOL types (VAK.191B, VJ.101C, Do 29, and Do 31E). Some models might buy the Anigrand collection just for the fighters ... fodder for trades, maybe?

I can just see it lifting off vertically from some hot LZ somewhere.

Brian: Alas, the HdH-4P would be strictly STOL. If 0° were the straight-aft nozzle position for forward flight, for landing the nozzles would be angled down 45° or so (not the 90° needed for VTOL flight). As others have noted, this design would be vulnerable to FOD. In VTOL operations, you could add reingesting hot exhaust too.

Jeffry: Overwing engines might work using Avro Canada-style 'eyelid' diverters. But then you've got also got to do something about the cruciform taliplane. DHC went with a T-tail for their DHP-72 concept (and for modified DHC-5 models - but those may have just been for wind tunnel studies).

Evan: I like your contoured inlet concept. I wonder is screens might work? I recall seeing a photo of an EE Lightning fitted with a mesh stone guard. Perhaps such a thing could be made neatly retractable?

Offline kim margosein

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #1847 on: August 18, 2018, 11:32:00 AM »
I know this is kind of odd.  Back in 2012 you did a series of profiles on the so-called Supermarine Spiteful.  Is there any chance you could do a three view, or at least provide the dimensions, especially wingspan?

m'gwich

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #1848 on: August 18, 2018, 10:28:01 PM »
Thank you for the explanation, apophenia.

Modern stuff is not my forte` that's for sure. The closest I get to STOL/VTOL is the odd autogyro.

Looking forward to you latest,

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #1849 on: August 19, 2018, 11:32:57 AM »
Evan: I like your contoured inlet concept. I wonder is screens might work? I recall seeing a photo of an EE Lightning fitted with a mesh stone guard. Perhaps such a thing could be made neatly retractable?
Well, screens would work for ground running (I believe that was what they were used for with the EE Lightning but you need simple inlet contours, like those of the SU-27, for retractable screens to work.  I'm thinking a contoured inlet would be far simpler to design.  I can think of some other possibilities, but those require, again, more work.