Author Topic: dy031101's Mental Notes  (Read 131154 times)

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
Re: dy031101's Mental Notes
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 03:12:15 PM »
I'm afraid not as it was 30 years ago and I only saw them in passing while working there on other programs.

:o You worked their? As in Northrop???  :P

M.A.D

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
Re: 's Mental Notes- Blue-and-Blue
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
GTX's line drawing reminds me one thing- hey I did fantasize about a single-seat F-14

Ok............ not that there is anything wrong with fanticisy over an F-14 dy031101
Mind you there is not much right about that either  ;) Ha ha ha

M.A.D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- Blue-and-Blue
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 03:28:16 PM »
Nice F-14s
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 10:38:03 AM »
I'm afraid not as it was 30 years ago and I only saw them in passing while working there on other programs.

:o You worked their? As in Northrop???  :P
A-yup.  12-1/2 years evenly divided between the B-2 (I can claim great intimate knowledge of the No.1 aircraft) and the AGM-137A/BGM-137B Tri-Service Standoff Attack Missile.

Offline apophenia

• Suffered two full days of rapid-fire hallucinations and yet had not a single usuable whif concept in the lot !?!
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 11:53:46 AM »
A-yup...

So are you with Northrop's Leeds or Bradford Division, Evan?  ;D
Under investigation by the Committee of State Sanctioned Modelling, Alternative History and Tractor Carburettor Production for decadent counterrevolutionary behaviour.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »
*snicker* Neither - started with the Advanced Systems Division in Pico Rivera, then moved over to Aircraft Division in Hawthorne (still lived near Pico Rivera and had to drive across the LA basin to and from work - a standard transmission was a mistake in that traffic, some days felt like I was rowing to work).  My speaking and word choice tends to be somewhat influenced by having lived a fair bit of time in Texas (it's not the state I was born in, but it's the one I most feel at home in).

Offline apophenia

• Suffered two full days of rapid-fire hallucinations and yet had not a single usuable whif concept in the lot !?!
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 06:21:17 AM »
Funny to think of working on some of those most advanced technology on the planet but stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on the way there and back again!

Out of curiosity, is "a-yup" reet common aht theeare in the The Lonestar State? Or, 'appen, summat tha’s sammed up abroad?
Under investigation by the Committee of State Sanctioned Modelling, Alternative History and Tractor Carburettor Production for decadent counterrevolutionary behaviour.

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- Jaguar With A Tail Gun
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 04:09:20 AM »
Genius!!! :icon_surprised:

I'll take your words for it, Rafa.  ;D

Maybe a couple more AS.30s under the wings would further its potency...... but anyway......
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:33:54 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- Jaguar With A Tail Gun
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 07:18:24 PM »
Very interesting idea

Offline dy031101

Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- The Mood Strikes Me
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 04:23:14 AM »
Another Shipbucket alteration done without much of a rhyme or reason...... alright, maybe Nil's models kinda fuelled the urge- and I didn't even think much of the Sea Tornado idea before......

The Royal Oak is there either when regular fleet carriers are overkills or when fleet carriers cannot bring enough airplanes to bear.  Due to size it can carry fewer types of aircraft in fewer total numbers, meaning that she can carry out fewer roles simultaneously than her bigger fleet counterparts.  But the Spanish-designed CVL is cheaper.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:42:33 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline JP Vieira

• What-If World
Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- Another Shipbucket Alteration
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 05:16:36 AM »
Great one. Love the Sea Tornado

Offline dy031101

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 05:30:21 AM »
Thanks.  I am inclined to start thinking of Shipbucket drawings as something that is like a "small and simple, but illustrating an idea" kind of thing.  I like that.

Granted, a 3D model can be more detailed, but they are like a plastic/resin/diecast model in that they take time and attention to detail to make, just not occupying physical volumes......
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:47:07 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- Two More Shipbucket Alterations
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 11:48:51 AM »

I always wonder what if we put Gearing FRAM mod. and DDG-1 Gyatt together...... then I want to protray it as part of an European-influenced navy, so Otomat SSM was added.  The launcher is a hybrid of Mk.10 and Mk.26 put together by the ship's operator country; target illumination for SM-1MR is actually meant to be provided by two STIR-180s emplaced side-by-side.  I originally wanted to keep two twin 5" forward but then realized that I didn't quite know where else to put ASW torpedo launchers, so one of the main gun turrets was replaced by a Sea Vulcan and the torpedo launchers.

I want to do this one as a Nike-Phoenix ship after elmayerle mentioned it.  I did start out from the Albany class cruiser drawing, but I intended it as a merely-Albany-influenced newly-built (maybe somewhere in or after the '70s, and maybe not even made-in-USA) vessel.  I figure that with a more-compact fire control system, the superstructure wouldn't have to be that tall...... except for the smokestacks I guess.

Expect further minor adjustment to this...... first off, I don't know if I'm happy with keeping the original style of bridge superstructure- I always thought the Russian Kirov class has a cooler-looking style to it and am a little bit tempted to emulate.  Two, I wonder what kind of European-influenced sensor suite would be as close as I get or better to the American NTU (granted, since I'm going for the Nike-Phoenix anyway, the question "why don't you just go for NTU" is bound to surface somewhere down the road).  Third, either that ASROC launcher amidship would be modified to fire Harpoon missiles, or it has gotta go and be replaced with dedicated AShM containers......

Comments and suggestions welcomed.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:37:04 AM by dy031101 »

Offline JP Vieira

• What-If World
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »
Thanks.  I am inclined to start thinking of Shipbucket drawings as something that is like a "small and simple, but illustrating an idea" kind of thing.  I like that.

Granted, a 3D model can be more detailed, but they are like a plastic/resin/diecast model in that they take time and attention to detail to make, just not occupying physical volumes......

Agree. I enjoy both working methods (it depends on my mood): either more detailed or faster but still very effective.
I am also developing a method of illustrating some ideas (particular scenes) in a less time-consuming way.
Thank you

Offline dy031101

Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- Keeping Brainstorming
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 09:57:41 AM »
Keeping brainstorming...... now adding more of elmayerle's idea (by the virtue of Rockwell VFX's AWG-9).  I'm also hoping that some minor cosmetic change to the bridge can "give off a different feel to it".

I don't know why I felt the urge to replace the 5" guns with the Japanese 100mm/L65...... I just did feel it.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:18:49 AM by dy031101 »