Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Land / Re: Recent Builds
« Last post by ScranJ51 on Today at 04:36:17 PM »
Another finished - this is a second hand kit that had been started - a few bits missing/damaged.

Got it together ok - but not my best effort.

Box says a Honda F1 - it is essentially the Williams Honda of 1985

Honda-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Honda-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Honda-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

:smiley:
Land / Re: McLaren Gallery - Humble Motor Museum
« Last post by ScranJ51 on Today at 04:31:03 PM »
Another finished - McLaren MP4/8

MP8-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

MP8-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

MP8-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

McLAREN MP4/8
The McLaren MP4/8 was a Formula One racing car which competed in the 1993 season. It raced in all sixteen Grands Prix, scoring five wins. The engine was a Ford HB 3.5 V8. The car was designed by Neil Oatley around advanced racecar technology, including a semi-automatic transmission, active suspension and traction control systems.  Honda had supplied McLaren with engines from 198892, the first four years where the team had dominated the drivers' and constructors' championships. However, Honda departed F1 after 1992 and team principal Ron Dennis was unable to get a supply of Renault engines as a replacement.  McLaren had to make do with the Ford HB 3.5 engine, which had inferior power compared to the Renault engine found in their chief rival Williams, and even the higher spec Ford engine fitted in the Benetton that season. Because Benetton had a pre-existing contract as the Ford factory team, McLaren had to settle for a customer engine which lacked some of the technological advancements of Benetton's factory engine. During the season, McLaren improved their car with technology from TAG Electronics.

However, the MP4/8 was competitive enough to achieve some remarkable successes. Even though rival Alain Prost was in the superior Williams FW15C, Senna's skill enabled him to lead the championship during the first weeks of the season. The MP4/8 was known for having a considerably shorter wheelbase (length) than the FW15C and was a noticeably smaller car in length than Prost's Williams. Later in the season, the Frenchman asserted the dominance of his Williams to take the lead for good, while Senna fell off pace during the second half of the schedule and dropped to third place. While Prost clinched the championship with two races to spare, Senna went on to win the last two races. The Brazilian had five wins in total, including one of his greatest drives in the
1993 European Grand Prix, and finished second in the drivers' championship to Alain Prost, whilst McLaren finished runners up to Williams in the manufacturers' championship.  The car on display was used by Senna to record his last GP win Australia 1993.

Not a fun build - poor fit and the decals fell apart - lucky to get this much done on it   :-[
Second Korean War GB / Second Korean War GB - COUNTDOWN TO CEASEFIRE
« Last post by Old Wombat on Today at 02:31:36 PM »
TEN DAYS LEFT TO FINISH YOUR BUILDS & POST THEM!
Profiles and Pixels / Re: Matthews Aviation Art
« Last post by john_matthews129 on Today at 02:17:19 PM »
Been quite a while, but I wanted to share the MiG-23 just finished for my client:

I've been trying to finish this while also assisting with home renovations, mounds of work at my "day job", a job search, and my boys' baseball season.  Yeeesh!  Anyway, this is finished now and I'm moving on to the next requested plane, a Tu-16 Badger.  The Badger will be outfitted for anti-shipping duties and will be finished in bare metal once completed.  Stay tuned and, as always, thanks for looking!
New Model Kit News/Reviews / Re: Panda Hobby
« Last post by Jacques Deguerre on Today at 09:21:43 AM »
Thanks Greg! I knew Id seen that somewhere.
Land / Re: 1/8 Citroen V8 traction maybe?
« Last post by kpnuts on Today at 03:14:30 AM »
Hi all well I'm back off my hols and after a huge amount of hacking and jiggling I managed to make the interior fit.

I changed the centre pillar from leather to wood I like the contrast between the leather and the wood (I think it looks more luxurious)

Still got the dash to do, thinking of adding rev counter and oil pressure gauge, wondering if I should add a more modern Speedo.

He really looks like the original in the Smithsonian!
Love Them  :smiley: :smiley:
New Model Kit News/Reviews / Re: Panda Hobby
« Last post by GTX_Admin on Today at 01:14:01 AM »
I read something within the past year or so that suggested the M8 was once again being considered for the light tank uh, mobile gun system role. Im not betting on that but I guess you never know.

BAE Systems has offered a modernised version of the M8 for the US Army Mobile Protected Firepower infantry brigade light tank requirement.

New Model Kit News/Reviews / Re: MiniArt Plastic Model Kits
« Last post by Jeffry Fontaine on Today at 01:09:01 AM »
The kgel would not work for Dakar or Baja, the lack of suspension makes it a non-starter.
Youd go nowhere fast in in even the mildest terrain, in loose sand itd just dig itself a hole.
The only place itd somewhat function would be on a dry lake bed, flat hardpan, or wet, compacted
sand. Otherwise, fuggedaboudit.
Okay then, Bonneville Salt Flats it is.  Contender for fastest mono-wheel vehicle :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10