Author Topic: Ukraine SU-27 Modified  (Read 206 times)

Offline ScranJ51

• Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!
Ukraine SU-27 Modified
« on: March 07, 2024, 03:47:35 PM »
I previously posted some SU-27's I'd built.

I had another of the Kitech kits in my stash and was going to try and sell it (Cheap) until I had an idea.

Ukraine SU-27 with US weapons

Back Story:

As the fighting against Russia continued, Ukraine continually requested assistance from the US, NATO and other countries.  While the supply of funds and basic munitions continued, Ukraine also looked for weapon systems that would provide capabilities in excess of what Ukraine currently employed.

In an attempt to not provoke Russia, the US agreed to some systems, but stipulated that none of the current US first-line options would be provided.  The US did offer some munitions that where obsolete or had been superseded by more capable systems.  The US were also cognizant of not providing valuable intelligence on current US capabilities, and that Russia would monitor which systems were being supplied via intelligence gathering.

Observers were somewhat surprised when the US nominated two such systems to be provided as the Vietnam era Pave Knife laser designator pod and the Vietnam to first Gulf War anti-radiation missile the AGM-45 Shrike, saying the systems supplied were refurbished items held in deep storage in the US.

But all was not as it seemed.  Indeed, the Pave Knife Pods looked visually identical to the Vietnam era pods, but the internal electronics were much more capable, providing a capability roughly compatible to the later Pave Tack Pod system.  Likewise, while the airframes of the Anti-radiation missiles were indeed old Shrike missiles that had been refurbished, miniaturization of electronics meant that the seeker head could detect a much wider bandwidth of potential targets and included a “fire and forget” capability, where the missile would still home if the detected radar was turned off.  Likewise, improved rocket motors meant that the actual missiles were much more capable, reaching ranges far in excess of the original Shrike missiles.

Also included was the supply of several hundred AGM-65 Mavericks, believed to be 65G models but possibly including upgraded 65K models.

While Ukraine requested supplies of AMRAAM’s, the US baulked at this option, supplying instead several hundred AIM-7 Falcon missile that had been in storage.  Again, these missiles were fitted with the latest version of AIM-7 systems and extended range propulsion systems within the slightly older missile body.

The US also supplied several hundred of what appeared to be AIM-9J or possibly AIM-9P missiles.

Another item supplied were AN/ALQ-119 Jamming Pods, although some pundits believe these may actually contain the electronics from the much more recent AN/ALQ-184 system.

How did these systems and/or weapons be integrated onto Ukraine’s SU-27’s?  Previous reports of 2 ex- Ukraine SU-27’s purchased in 2006 by Pride Aircraft in the US to be used as Aggressor training aids were mentioned, but it is also rumored that Ukraine flew a current SU-27 to Germany to allow the aircraft to be transported (by C-5 Galaxy) to continental USA to allow the aircraft systems to be analysed and software modifications be developed to assist in weapons/system integration.

Ukraine SU-27 1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Ukraine SU-27 2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Ukraine Su-27 3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

left to right as you look:

AIM-9 Sidewinder
AIM-7 Falcon
AGM-45 Shrike
AGM-65 Maverick
GBU-10
Front - Pave Knife Pod
Rear - GBU-12
GBU-10
AGM-65 Maverick
AGM-45 Shrike
ALQ-119 ECM Pod
AIM-9 Sidewinder
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 03:49:09 PM by ScranJ51 »
Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Ukraine SU-27 Modified
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 05:10:16 PM »
Nice! And a very clever backstory  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: Ukraine SU-27 Modified
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 01:13:04 AM »
Kind of what is being done with the frankensam systems. Nice work!