Author Topic: Heinkel Factory Defense He 100D-1 Greif Build Thread  (Read 8448 times)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Heinkel Factory Defense He 100D-1 Greif Build Thread
« on: April 14, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »
Did we make it in time?  Another Talos/Logan profile, this time for the April Fool's group build.

I'll post the in progress shots below.  They won't have as much of a description as there was in the last build thread, though.

These first three images actually come from BEFORE the Galland He 100.  I didn't have the divided layers, yet, so I wanted to see how the lighting looked on paint.  This led to many changes.

After this, I put it on hold completely to work on the Galland He 100.

This is after the Galland He 100 was basically done, I reimported the layers with all of the advances that had come about since I had last left it.  You should see drastic changes in weathering on the above profile, especially.

Starting here, it's all about the exhaust.  Long story sort, the original exhaust that Talos gave me wasn't accurate for the actual He 100D aircraft built by Heinkel.  At this point he gave me line art for an exhaust that was.  I now had to prepare the aircraft for the new exhaust.  This wasn't going to be easy.  There's actually a number of changes taking place throughout the next series of images, but most are either restricted to the exhaust area or relatively minor.

Last but not least the new insignia.

Cheers,

Logan
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 01:37:33 PM by Logan Hartke »

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Heinkel Factory Defense He 100D-1 Greif Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 01:41:34 PM »
And here's the completed one.  Click on the image to see it at 100%.

After its rejection by the RLM, the He 100 became the focus of an intense propaganda campaign designed to deceive the Allies into believing the He 100 was in service with the Luftwaffe.  Largely successful, this effort culminated in the famous April 1940 article of Der Adler.  No fewer than nine He 100s were painted in spurious "lightning bolt" markings and lined up for the cameras.  It wasn't long before these same aircraft were repainted with a shield bearing a bicorn hat stuck on a dagger, an apparent stab at Winston Churchill, the former First Lord of the Admiralty.  Finally, at least one aircraft was painted with a moon-man marking and photographed in an apparent night-fighting role.

When its services as a propaganda tool were concluded, a number of these He 100s were added to Heinkel's semi-private factory defense force, manned by Heinkel company pilots.  Sometime after these aircraft were taken on for use in this role, the 'First Lord of the Admiralty' badges were repainted with a griffin, the traditional coat of arms of Rostock, where the Heinkel plant was located.  This can be seen in an aerial shot of the plant taken later in 1940 as published in Erwin Hood's fantastic book on the He 100.  It is one of these aircraft that is depicted in the profile.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 01:47:21 PM »
Ah, this one was fun. The brand new exhaust was a challenge to fit in (the otherwise accurate schematics I was using as part of the panel lining on the He 100 were completely wrong there, as we found out), but I think it looks superb. You were right about the gold tooth too. I can't not see it.

Man, that griffin fit perfectly...

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 04:47:32 PM »
Did we make it in time?  Another Talos/Logan profile, this time for the April Fool's group build.

Yes you did.
Welcome aboard and congratulations on this great work

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 09:28:41 PM »
Way to go Team Talos/Logan!

Love how you added to the illusion by posting those aerial shots of the Heinkel plant.

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 03:33:34 AM »
Well my prediction is that this is going to have some wiki pages being updated along with other sources.  You're evil with this entry...and perfectly inline with the theme of the GB! :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 10:43:58 AM »
Ah, this one was fun. The brand new exhaust was a challenge to fit in (the otherwise accurate schematics I was using as part of the panel lining on the He 100 were completely wrong there, as we found out), but I think it looks superb. You were right about the gold tooth too. I can't not see it.

Man, that griffin fit perfectly...

Yep.  As I've said for a long time, line art lies, you have to use go off of period photos.  The funny thing about the "gold tooth" is how prevalent it is in the photographs of the aircraft, though.  I thought it was just one angle, but nope.

The griffin does look good.  Do you think that it was Rostock that inspired the He 177's name?

Welcome aboard and congratulations on this great work

Thanks, JP!  I always like the idea of "fool the JMNs" WHIFs.

Way to go Team Talos/Logan!

Love how you added to the illusion by posting those aerial shots of the Heinkel plant.

Thanks, Brian!  That's photo's totally unedited, too.  That's how they actually look.  Thankfully you can't make out the shield at that height, so it lends an air of plausibility to our story.  ;)

Well my prediction is that this is going to have some wiki pages being updated along with other sources.  You're evil with this entry...and perfectly inline with the theme of the GB! :)

Thanks, Greg!  I don't think it will get that far.  PR.19 still has the record there, I think!

Cheers,

Logan

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 10:35:17 PM »
Amazing as ever!