Author Topic: 1/35 Post Apoc figures  (Read 38514 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: 1/35 Post Apoc figures
« Reply #200 on: October 28, 2022, 11:53:54 PM »

The reason I didn't finish it yet is because I might switch out the barrel to the air cooled version. Looks better to me.

The air cooled version is also more practical, in that it's a lot lighter than the HB. Well done.

The vented jacket barrel looks better to me but also at the same time looks weird as the ones with the vented jacket barrel don't have the barrel support. The vented jacket barrel usually just attaches directly to the receiver with the trunnion. I need the barrel support though as the front hand grip is attached to a second gimbal ring at the forward end of the barrel support.

You can see the vented jacket barrel .50 cals in the image shown below. The top four and the bottom two. I haven't actually seen any .50 cal with the barrel support and vented jacket barrel. I only see the .50 cals that have the barrel support with the heavy barrel only. Mine is what if though so I will more than likely stick with the what if version I did.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #201 on: October 29, 2022, 01:56:23 PM »
This is a good article on why zombies are physically impossible.
https://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/strange-creatures/10-reasons-zombies-are-physically-impossible.htm

Yep. Says it all. Except for the existence of rabies! ;)

Rabies, oddly enough, has all the ingredients of "zombie-ism" with the exceptions of the infected not being "undead", the stupid brains eating thing & the fact that rabies has a long incubation period during which regular antibiotics are extremely effective against it.

However, a weaponised version of rabies could result in a "rage" type virus (28 Days Later), where the infected are zombies in all but undeadness &, when they run out of food will slowly die (in roughly 28 days, according to Danny Boyle & Alex Garland).

My favourite "zombie" movie, I might add - but closely followed by the Resident Evil series. :D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 01:59:04 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #202 on: October 30, 2022, 07:59:11 AM »
<...> the fact that rabies has a long incubation period during which regular antibiotics are extremely effective against it. <...>

No. AIUI, there are three options: you're vaccinated pre-exposure OR get vaccinated very quickly (>24hrs) after exposure OR you will almost invariably die a horrible death. There are very, very few known survivors of symptomatic rabies. Low double digits.

Antibiotics make no sense since a) it's caused by a virus and b) doesn't cause any complications that could be treated with antibiotics.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #203 on: October 30, 2022, 11:44:58 AM »

However, a weaponised version of rabies could result in a "rage" type virus (28 Days Later), where the infected are zombies in all but undeadness &, when they run out of food will slowly die (in roughly 28 days, according to Danny Boyle & Alex Garland).

I'd suggest something like the RAGE virus is already out there, considering the Mad Max style drivers in my A.O. (although being under the influence of Percocet is equally likely. Maybe both).

Offline Story

« Reply #204 on: October 30, 2022, 11:47:45 AM »

Thanks for the info.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/strange-creatures/10-reasons-zombies-are-physically-impossible.htm

1) You're welcome.

2) Reference "physically impossible", I say https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_military_deception

3)

Offline Story

« Reply #205 on: October 30, 2022, 11:50:18 AM »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2022, 01:44:39 PM »
I'll just leave this here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90YNblolN90

4th round = say "good-bye" to toes. ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2022, 02:00:57 PM »
<...> the fact that rabies has a long incubation period during which regular antibiotics are extremely effective against it. <...>

No. AIUI, there are three options: you're vaccinated pre-exposure OR get vaccinated very quickly (>24hrs) after exposure OR you will almost invariably die a horrible death. There are very, very few known survivors of symptomatic rabies. Low double digits.

Antibiotics make no sense since a) it's caused by a virus and b) doesn't cause any complications that could be treated with antibiotics.

I stand corrected.

Some facts I gleaned;

* The time period between contracting the disease and the start of symptoms is usually one to three months but can vary from less than one week to more than one year.
* The time depends on the distance the virus must travel along peripheral nerves to reach the central nervous system.
* Rabies is caused by lyssaviruses, including the rabies virus and Australian bat lyssavirus.
* It is spread when an infected animal bites or scratches a human or other animals.
* Saliva from an infected animal can also transmit rabies if the saliva comes into contact with the eyes, mouth, or nose.
* The disease can be diagnosed only after the start of symptoms.
* Immunizing people before they are exposed is recommended for those at high risk, including those who work with bats or who spend prolonged periods in areas of the world where rabies is common.
* In people who have been exposed to rabies, the rabies vaccine and sometimes rabies immunoglobulin are effective in preventing the disease if the person receives the treatment before the start of rabies symptoms.
* As of 2016, only fourteen people were documented to have survived a rabies infection after showing symptoms.
* However, research conducted in 2010 among a population of people in Perú with a self-reported history of one or more bites from vampire bats (commonly infected with rabies), found that out of 73 individuals reporting previous bat bites, 7 people had rabies virus-neutralizing antibodies (rVNA). Since only one member of this group reported prior vaccination for rabies, the findings of the research suggest previously undocumented cases of infection and viral replication followed by an abortive infection. This could indicate that in rare cases people may have an exposure to the virus without treatment and develop natural antibodies as a result.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #208 on: October 30, 2022, 11:27:34 PM »

Yep. Says it all. Except for the existence of rabies! ;)

Rabies, oddly enough, has all the ingredients of "zombie-ism" with the exceptions of the infected not being "undead", the stupid brains eating thing & the fact that rabies has a long incubation period during which regular antibiotics are extremely effective against it.

My favourite "zombie" movie, I might add - but closely followed by the Resident Evil series. :D

28 Days Later and I Am Legend are two of the better genre movies. The Resident Evil series are OK too. I was never into the Walking Dead series until a lot of my friends started talking about it so I fell for the trap but didn't start watching until season 3. Season 3 had to be the worst season to actually start watching as it was extremely slow. I was about to stop watching because of season 3 but my friends kept telling me it will get better and to make sure I watch the previous seasons to fully understand why season 3 was the way it was. I stopped watching here and there over the years and missed quite a few episodes. I got bored of the show and I actually missed most of season 9 and 10. I only started watching again season 11 as it is the final episodes but I still missed about 1/2 or more of the first 1/2 of season 11.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #209 on: October 30, 2022, 11:30:28 PM »

I'd suggest something like the RAGE virus is already out there, considering the Mad Max style drivers in my A.O. (although being under the influence of Percocet is equally likely. Maybe both).

Old Wombat, ChernayaAkula and Story, as for the chatter about viruses, definitely very interesting and insightful information. Great interaction between you all and also great responses.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2022, 11:39:38 PM »
I'll just leave this here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90YNblolN90

Thanks for the video.

Very cool to see in the video how the forward grip attaches to the trunnion on the jacketed barrel .50 cal. Unfortunately for mine though, I can't use the .50 cal without the barrel support as the length would be too short. The forward grip is molded to the left hand of the figure and would be a PITA to cut out without destroying the fingers. The way the figure is molded, the forward grip connects to the front end of the barrel support where the gimbal ring is at the front end of the barrel support. If I remove the barrel support and use the jacketed barrel only, the overall length of the .50 cal will be too short. The forward grip that is molded to the figure's hand will attach directly to the barrel itself and would look weird.

Here you can see the forward grip of the figure. It won't be easy to remove it without destroying the fingers.