Author Topic: Amiot 143 Maritime Patrol FINISHED  (Read 13189 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
Amiot 143 Maritime Patrol FINISHED
« on: April 14, 2020, 03:26:02 AM »
AMIOT 143 ASW

The air raid sirens ceased their wailing, and Capitaine Gaston Thibeault quickly exited the basement of the building in which he and others had taken shelter. He was concerned for his brother Claude, who owned a cheese shop just a short walk away along Rue de la Tonnellerie, in the city of Chartres. His concern was abated somewhat when he saw his brother running toward him, obviously unharmed. “Mon Dieu!” he yelled, “The shop has been destroyed!” Capitaine Thibeault almost collapsed, thinking of the finest fromagerie in the region. “Therese?” he asked, “And the children?” “They are fine”, said Claude, “They are in the shelter helping others.”

This was not a good day. An armful of baguettes in the Capitaine’s arms indicated that this was going to be a casual day. Two training flights with bomber crews, using the old and obsolete Amiot 143. The base at Chartres-Champhol was not near the front lines, and life was not as hectic as those further east and north. Training flights were conducted with good spirits, good food, perhaps some wine for everyone but the pilot, and a good view of the French countryside from the capacious picture windows in the aircraft’s lower deck. Not today.

His regular crew was incensed. War was one thing, but to destroy the best fromagerie in Chartres was an affront to every Frenchman! Something had to be done, and that something was not training crews. They had to take the fight to the enemy.

New aircraft were not forthcoming, and the crew were old veterans, not considered for the front lines. But once the magnitude of the insult to national pride was fully absorbed, the Colonel was able to work some magic.

They found themselves billeted at the airfield in Bordeaux-Mérignac, and were to be used in the maritime patrol and anti-shipping role. Few modifications were needed to adapt the aircraft, the main ones being two larger bombs and two depth charges on the underwing points, and a striking colour scheme of dark grey over white.

Within a few days of patrolling over the Bay of Biscay, the gallant crew had destroyed two submarines, three merchant vessels, and caused such havoc that the Germans had already given the aircraft the name ‘Teufelstochter’, the Devil’s Daughter. Ungainly in appearance, it was nonetheless a formidable opponent, flown by men who were avenging something near and dear to their hearts; French cuisine. Such was their effectiveness that soon many other Amiot 143s were converted to anti-shipping roles, and they helped stem the tide of the Axis advance in the Atlantic and the Mediterranean. ‘Teufelstochters’ soon swarmed over the coasts like angry bees, waging war on anything flying an Axis pennant.

Hitler’s advance through Belgium was halted while the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine tried in vain to counter the offensive of this mighty warbird., but to no avail. They were destroying supply lines faster than replacement material could be produced, and a German retreat was ordered.

We are all well-acquainted with what happened next. Within months the conflict, now known to most French as The Cheese War, was over. Germany sued for peace, and it was granted. But only on the western front. Russia continued, seeing an opportunity to seize control over eastern Europe. Germany united with the allies, and turned their industry to making more aircraft, principally the heroic Amiot 143. Not only maritime patrol, but tankbusters, ground attack, reconnaissance, night fighters, medevac, there was no role in which this aircraft did not excel. After suffering under the onslaught of this mighty machine for months, Russia capitulated, a new revolution sprang up from the ashes, and democracy was restored.

Today, monuments to the aircraft, and Capitaine Thibeault and his crew, are everywhere. Schoolchildren sing their praises, and history books are full of their exploits. A fitting memorial for such gallantry. They will never be forgotten.

SERIOUSLY?! Cripes, that is the most painful collection of letters I have ever thrown together. I suppose it is possible to go over the top when writing an ugly duckling story, but I couldn’t stop myself. The praise had to be in inverse proportion to its ugliness, and even then it might not be enough.

If you don’t know anything about this kit, go ahead and build it if you want to. It’s a free country. If you do know what this kit is like, there are only two reasons for tackling it; either you’re a master modeler, or a fool. I am not a master modeler. Internal detail is nil. Perhaps to counter that, external detail is overdone with massive rivets. If the rivets were half that size there would have been enough plastic left over to make a fully kitted interior. Fit is not great, and the landing gear seems rather delicate, but it seems sufficient to hold up the completed model without collapsing. Why the canopy is molded in two halves is a complete mystery to me, especially since a mistake could have someone joining them together incorrectly, making what actually looks like a better version, with more visibility for the pilot.

I did scratch together a very basic interior, just because… well, I don’t know, just because, I guess. It isn’t very accurate, but at least I know it’s in there. Primary paints were Tamiya XF-2 Flat White and Tamiya XF-54 Dark Grey. And thanks to the size I ran low on both. Fortunately a local hobby shop is doing an ‘order and pick up’ service during this coronavirus lockdown, and I have restocked. If you’re in the vicinity, Dailey Hobbies in Whitby, Ontario, is a great place to shop. https://www.daileyhobbies.com/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 05:59:49 AM by The Rat »
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Amiot 143 Maritime Patrol FINISHED
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 03:41:31 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 04:00:12 AM »
O, mon Dieu! Il n'est pas possible de «go over the top» lors de la description de la vaillante Guerre des Fromages!

Vengeance pour la Feuille de Dreux salie! Mort et désespoir pour le Bosches qui déteste le fromage! Les Philistins mangeurs de Butterkäse et de Limburger sont un affront à tous les Français honnêtes!

Vive le Amiot 143 ASW! Victoire aux fromages français! Vive le France!
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 04:06:34 AM »
Learned a lot.  Did not know about "The Cheese War" and Amiot 143 missions and German made Amiot 143s and all the rest.
Must say Amiot 143 wears this color scheme well.  :smiley:

Offline The Rat

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 04:13:39 AM »
O, mon Dieu! Il n'est pas possible de «go over the top» lors de la description de la vaillante Guerre des Fromages!

Vengeance pour la Feuille de Dreux salie! Mort et désespoir pour le Bosches qui déteste le fromage! Les Philistins mangeurs de Butterkäse et de Limburger sont un affront à tous les Français honnêtes!

Vive le Amiot 143 ASW! Victoire aux fromages français! Vive le France!

Wish I were bilingual, but I take it you approve!  ;D
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 04:47:13 AM »
Google Translate is your friend . . .   ;)
"Oh my God! It is not possible to "go over the top" when describing the valiant Cheese War!

Revenge for the Dirty Dreux Leaf! Death and despair for the Bosches who hates cheese! The Philistine eaters of Butterkäse and Limburger are an affront to all honest French people!

Long live the Amiot 143 ASW! Victory for French cheeses! Long live France!"    ;D

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 04:49:42 AM »
Le fromage... perdu! Quel dommage! What bravery and what a pity that you had to build this kit. Still, it came out great!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 04:54:19 AM »
A nice little tale to go with your creation.  Sporting spats makes up for the homely appearance.  :smiley:

***edit: Tale, not Tail.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 02:28:58 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline The Rat

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 04:57:39 AM »
Google Translate is your friend . . .   ;)
"Oh my God! It is not possible to "go over the top" when describing the valiant Cheese War!

Revenge for the Dirty Dreux Leaf! Death and despair for the Bosches who hates cheese! The Philistine eaters of Butterkäse and Limburger are an affront to all honest French people!

Long live the Amiot 143 ASW! Victory for French cheeses! Long live France!"    ;D

cheers,
Robin.

;D ;D Thanks, I got maybe 30% of it myself. I really do wish I were bilingual, maybe it's not too late. The trouble is, here in Canada there are very few courses in Quebec French, believe it or not. The schools teach Parisian French, which is not the same. Quebec's cultural and geographic isolation means that the language has evolved differently, and while one can usually understand the other, there are often difficulties. The schools use the excuse that they can't get teachers to come from Quebec, but I think that's bull. I suspect it's because there are many teaching materials and course outlines to teach Parisian French, and nobody can be bothered to make a new training course for Quebec. It's rather insulting, to my mind. It's like say to the Quebecois "Okay, we'll teach the kids French to keep you happy. But not that colonial backwater hillbilly dialect you speak, we'll teach them real French." Don't know why nobody seems to make more of an issue of it.

Offline The Rat

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 04:58:33 AM »
A nice little tail to go with your creation.  Sporting spats makes up for the homely appearance.  :smiley:

Brian da Basher should be pleased.  ;D

Offline apophenia

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 05:04:20 AM »
I do indeed approve  ;D  Vive le Amiot!

Revenge for the Dirty Dreux Leaf! Death and despair for the Bosches who hates cheese!

Cheers Robin. I was trying to say: 'Revenge on the besmirchers of Feuille de Dreux' (which I gather is Chartres' local fromage).

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 05:19:54 AM »
Bravo à la patrouille poutine!

Great build and back story!
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline The Rat

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 05:29:50 AM »
Bravo à la patrouille poutine!

Great build and back story!

Now there's something I can get behind. If you don't know poutine, you're not Canadian or Canadien!  ;D ;D

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 05:34:13 AM »
I do indeed approve  ;D  Vive le Amiot!

Revenge for the Dirty Dreux Leaf! Death and despair for the Bosches who hates cheese!

Cheers Robin. I was trying to say: 'Revenge on the besmirchers of Feuille de Dreux' (which I gather is Chartres' local fromage).

I thought that looked a bit odd, but then, I don't speak, read, or write French, I just went with the machine translation . . .   :-[    ;D

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 06:37:39 AM »
You have me in stitches sir  ;D ;D ;D ;D
The Amiot looks like it hit a bus and just kept going  ;D
Your level of insanity is clear to see, building this kit  :o :o AND Whiffing it  :smiley: :smiley: very well done  :smiley: :smiley:
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2020, 06:46:58 AM »
Very nice

Online Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 08:54:50 AM »
Hilarious backstory, nice model, well done

>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2020, 01:45:12 AM »
Beautifique!!  You've made a beauty out of that kit; back story isn't bad either.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2020, 03:38:42 AM »
...It's like say to the Quebecois "Okay, we'll teach the kids French to keep you happy. But not that colonial backwater hillbilly dialect you speak, we'll teach them real French." Don't know why nobody seems to make more of an issue of it.

"C'est beau le joual – C'est malade mental / Fuck ceux-là qui disent qu'on parle mal"

;)

Offline The Rat

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2020, 06:33:31 AM »
...It's like say to the Quebecois "Okay, we'll teach the kids French to keep you happy. But not that colonial backwater hillbilly dialect you speak, we'll teach them real French." Don't know why nobody seems to make more of an issue of it.

"C'est beau le joual – C'est malade mental / Fuck ceux-là qui disent qu'on parle mal"

;)

;)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2020, 07:08:13 AM »
A Grand tribute to a Magnificent Monster!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2020, 01:53:55 AM »
During some other investigations I came across the following:  Amiot 150 - a Reconnaissance, torpedo bomber prototype of the 143, for use with the Aeronavale. It had 10% larger wing, interchangeable wheel or float landing gear

There's even a kit available:

Might drive the need for a sequel to this wonderful creation.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline The Rat

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2020, 03:23:55 AM »
YOIKS!