Author Topic: Finnish Ilmavoimat 'Recon 2000' enta jos builds ...  (Read 3232 times)

Offline tsrjoe

• Has been volunteered... for something...
Finnish Ilmavoimat 'Recon 2000' enta jos builds ...
« on: January 24, 2012, 07:06:48 AM »
The 'non alligned' Baltic States of Sweden and Finland have always seen a primary role during the 'Cold War' period as being border reconnaissance, compiling information by visual/photo observation and/or other detection methods about the activities and resources of any potential enemy (in practice specifically that of the former Soviet Union and its satellites)

Inspired by a visit to Tampere Pirkkala in 2010 to look over the MiG.25R 'Foxbat' sited at the Aero Club there (along with a MiG.23 and MiG.27 forward fuselage) i started musing on if the Finnish Air Force took the aircraft when newly arrived, on strength as a reconaissance asset, and how it may look had it remained in service til now. Further extrapolation of the idea could be an eastward leaning state or even as a member of the WPTO. ... unacceptable i know to a number of my Finnish friends :)

link ... http://www.warbirdphotos.net/aviapix/postww2/fighters/soviet/MiG25/FAF-mig25.jpg

A further thought was contrary to this, postulating a NATO. Finland (or more western military influenced) where the reconaissance role might have been undertaken with the British Canberra PR.9, again seeing service into the 21st Century !

Whilst sorting out kits in my dungeon i came across a Condor MiG.25 and Airfix Canberra PR.9 kits, a quick search on 'evil bay' yielded a Pavla conversion for the MiG.25 recce nose which also comes with a nice cockpit upgrade.

Having had a quiet weekend iv made a start ... :D (pics to follow)

cheers, Joe

Offline tsrjoe

Re: Finnish Ilmavoimat 'Recon 2000' enta jos builds ...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 07:15:44 AM »
Getting started, Airfix Canberra PR.9 and Condor MiG.25 'Foxbat' with Pavla resin conversion for the MiG.25R nose
John 'maverick' Lacey had drawn up some really nice artwork of the two types in contempory 'Redigo scheme' type colours and low visibility markings, just how id visualised them in 'what if' service ...  8)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:48:17 PM by tsrjoe »

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:40:22 AM »
As always, looking forward to these builds Joe.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline Geoff

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 03:44:43 AM »
A further thought was contrary to this, postulating a NATO. Finland (or more western military influenced) where the reconaissance role might have been undertaken with the British Canberra PR.9, again seeing service into the 21st Century !cheers, Joe

I was planning an RF-5A and an RF-4C.

Offline tsrjoe

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 06:45:31 PM »
sounds a cool idea for further builds Geoff, def looking forward to seeing them in plastic (iv stil an envelope of Finnish decals to pass over for your current builds)

cheers, Joe

Offline tsrjoe

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 03:56:04 AM »
finally got these ready for decalling, pretty plain birds but certainly different ... piccies to follow

cheers, Joe