Author Topic: Quick Figures with washes  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Quick Figures with washes
« on: November 07, 2014, 06:47:16 PM »
Just a short step by step on a technique I use for quick figures.
The riders on this are that these are not competition standard figures, nor do they stand up to close scrutiny, but as vehicle crew where the focus is mostly elsewhere, they mostly work.

At the simplest level I use two Games Workshop citadel washes over an undercoat
Seraphim Sepia
Reiklad Fleshshade

So
Step 1- a good white undercoat. Anything will do, I use the cheapo Flat white enamel from a hardware store in a spray can

Step 2-Put on a coat of Seraphim Sepia, but not too heavy, just enough to fill all the low spots with a thin coat.

Step 3- Then after that has dried, literally 10 mins, a coat of the Fleshshade, again not mega heavy but enough to get a pinkier shade

Put on some headgear (which produces shadows) and that is it.

If you think it needs a bit more you can use the Games Workshop Badab Black wash lightly in the eyes and over the beard area for a 5 o'clock shadow effect

These are not the best pix but hopefully it gets the idea across

The same applies with the uniforms. A base coat, highlight drybrush with the base plus some white/lighter colour and then a complementary darker wash. there are heaps of Citadel washes and most other manufacturers do them as well
Give it a crack, but be prepared to practice on a few figures so that you feel comfortable with the amounts of wash needed to give the effect
Cheers

Brian T
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 08:06:56 PM by buzzbomb »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Quick Figures with washes
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 07:02:44 PM »
Thanks, Brian! My figures are generally OK but still a bit hit-&-miss, so I may give this a try as an alternate method. :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."