Author Topic: Aircraft Weapons Systems (Gun Pods, Rockets, etc.)  (Read 43849 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: Aircraft Weapons Systems (Gun Pods, Rockets, etc.)
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2019, 05:14:01 AM »
Thanks Greg, I've seen those photos before (research for a project I'm building), but all they are showing are the breach and loading mechanism, not the ammo storage system. The ammo is contained in the rear area of the pod.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2019, 05:31:43 AM »
On the SUU-19 and SUU-23 20mm Gatling Gun/Cannon pods the ammunition is carried in a drum that is very much like that used on the F-4E/F-4F Phantom II and the F-105 Thunderchief and the larger GAU-8 gun fitted to the A-10 Thunderbolt that has a capacity of 1350 rounds of 30mm.  All of these retain spent rounds after firing. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2019, 06:55:52 AM »
That's interesting Jeff, I've read that the A-10's GAU-8 only had 900 rounds ---

How did they get the drum into the SUU-23 ? It doesn't look big enough in diameter.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2019, 09:33:30 AM »
Not the same size ammunition drum as that used on the F-4E/F-4F and F-105.  Similar but not the same size drum magazine is also used with the M61 mounted on the F-16 and F-18. 

As far as the ammunition capacity goes for the GAU-8 as installed in the A-10 I was correct, but there is a clarification to that number:
GAU-8/A Avenger rotary cannon with 1,174 rounds (capacity 1,350 rounds)
.  As for why the difference, I have no answer but that number (1350 rounds) has been the number given in many reference books on the A-10 aircraft and GAU-8 weapon.  The capacity will vary for each mission so 900 rounds for a typical sortie may be due to fuel and range constraints after all you do not need to carry a full load of fuel or weapons for every mission.  All of that is determined by the Air Tasking Order and the people that are tasked with flying the mission.

***edit for spelling/grammar error.--jjf
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 06:08:32 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2019, 03:30:01 AM »
How did they get the drum into the SUU-23 ? It doesn't look big enough in diameter.

I think you will find it will fit...just:

As for reloading:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2019, 03:33:21 AM »
Hmm, it looks like the outer shell of the pod at the rear is also the outer shell of the drum. Now that explains a lot --- thanks Greg.

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2020, 12:06:15 AM »
The rounds on the GAU-8 and the M-61 area also arranged as a helical spiral with the rounds arranged radially, point in. That arrangement isn't gonna work on a 57mm or 75mm round unless you want a 5 or 6 foot diameter pod. They are gonna have to be arranged along the same axis of the gun, limiting the ability to store a lot of ammo unless there is another mechanism that advances ammo from a rear carousel to the front one, not impossible, just more complicated and probably requiring additional power to drive it versus using just gun recoil.

Paul

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2021, 03:21:10 AM »
These just look badass!!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2021, 02:01:11 PM »
These just look badass!!

What the Hell are they! :o
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2021, 09:19:02 PM »
These just look badass!!

What the Hell are they! :o

Russian GUV-8700 rotary gun, it actually has three of them, the center one looks like possible 23mm, the outer ones 12.7mm
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 09:22:21 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2021, 12:08:59 AM »
I figured they were probably Soviet, they have that "Oh, yeah? You've got rotary cannon pods? Well, we've got this triple rotary cannon pod, so there!" vibe, but it's always good to get more detail.

Thanks, mate! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2021, 03:15:12 AM »
Oh, your helicopter has a gun...that's cute:

Actually the GUV-8700 comes in two options:

1x 30mm grenade launcher AP-30 Plamya - AGS-17  (9-A-669, or 9-A-800) - 300 rounds or
1x 4barrel minigun YAkB 12,7mm + 2 x 4barrel minigun GShG 7,62mm  (9-A-624) 750rds for 12,7 and 2x 1700 rds for 7,62

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2022, 03:47:05 PM »
Wanting to throw an idea out, here.  For the FAA, a special Matra JL100RN with a suitable RN rocket pod on the front instead of a Matra pod.  Basically something that could add both fuel and strike capability to FAA aircraft.  My immediate thought was one on each outboard stores point on a Phantom FG.1.