Author Topic: Denmark actively joins the German side in WWII  (Read 3755 times)

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Denmark actively joins the German side in WWII
« on: May 12, 2013, 05:55:05 AM »
Hi folks,

Here's a scenario that might be interesting to explore: What if Denmark actively joined the German side in WWII?

Whilst there were Danes fighting with the Germans (predominately the Waffen SS, though also in very limited numbers within the other arms I understand), this was essentially a small element and mainly focussed upon those who wanted to fight the Soviets.  Germany also (at least initially) wanted to treat Denmark as a model protectorate with little day-to-day interference.

Now, I know that in reality this soon changed and that there was also quite a degree of hostility/resistance against the occupation.  However, what if the opposite occurred and Denmark actually became a more active participant on the German side?  What about Messerschmitts, Focke-Wulfs etc in Danish markings?  Maybe the focus could be on protection of Danish Airspace and deployed operations only in the East?

Would such a scenario also be a trigger for other nations in a similar position (e.g. Norway, The Netherlands) to do similar?

Your thoughts and ideas?

NOTE:  Please keep it civil and remember that this is simply a what if scenario and is not meant to belittle or insult the Danish people.

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: Denmark actively joins the German side in WWII
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 07:41:41 AM »
I remember seeing something years ago that said the Danes were quite sympathetic to the Germans until they started rounding up Danish Jews.  That was the turning point as the Danes objected to having friends and neighbours taken which led to passive and even active resistance

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 07:45:14 AM »
Russia did & still does send troops from one area to fight in another to avoid "brother vs brother" situations so I would see Danish troops being sent to the Eastern Front :( rather than fighting in western Europe.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 08:42:59 AM »
The 5th Waffen SS Panzer Division was formed predominantly of Nordic volunteers, had a very good reputation in combat and no where near the usual occurrence of atrocities.   

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:12:34 AM »
The 5th Waffen SS Panzer Division was formed predominantly of Nordic volunteers, had a very good reputation in combat and no where near the usual occurrence of atrocities.

Actually, the 5th SS Panzer Division Wiking, whilst including many foreign volunteers, from Denmark, Norway and Sweden, Finland and Estonia, the Netherlands and Belgium was majority German when you read of its detailed history.  The key reason for these volunteers seems to have been the Soviet agression against Finland. Perhaps closer to a majority Danish unit was the Frikorps Danmark.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kim margosein

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 07:10:43 AM »
I remember reading (Sorry, I don't remember where) that the Danish Army had a lot of assistance from Germany, and the Danish Navy, Italy.   Pre-WWII, Denmark had no separate air force, and each branch had its own air arm.  Imagine Danish Army 109s on the Russian Front, and Danish Navy Macchis flying home defense.