Author Topic: Republic F-105 "Thunderchief" Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 31906 times)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Re: Republic F-105 "Thunderchief" Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 11:50:43 PM »
That explains why I was not getting any images. Pics would be great. Thanks in advance.

This should not be too hard to do. Just need to find the right replacement nose profile. Maybe a portion from a RF-101?

BTW I have on the bench a WIP RF-102C where I took the nose off a RF-101 (the first 5/8" and a near perfect cross section fit ) and cut open windows on each side of the existing F-102 nose for two more cameras.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 01:21:56 AM »
It may take a bit before I can scan them all, returned to work today.

I'm working on a full-up RF-101B with the RF-101C photo nose and an ELINT fit in place of the weapons bay and an antenna fairing under it.  There might be pods under the wings, too.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 03:48:44 AM »
It may take a bit before I can scan them all, returned to work today.

I'm working on a full-up RF-101B with the RF-101C photo nose and an ELINT fit in place of the weapons bay and an antenna fairing under it.  There might be pods under the wings, too.

Nice. I agree the weapons bay has lots of WHIF potential.

Take your time Evan. You probably know the RF-101s were cleared to carry the ALQ-71.

On this F-106 page there is good picture, and someone who claims to be Jeffry Fontaine asking about the installation. Jeff, is this identity theft?  ;D
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 04:15:01 AM »
On this F-106 page there is good picture, and someone who claims to be Jeffry Fontaine asking about the installation. Jeff, is this identity theft?  ;D

Reply posted to the Voodoo thread :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 12:53:21 PM »
One other F-105 version I'm going to have to doodle on is a proposed record-breaker that had "speed bulges" (like the F-102) at the back.  I need to re-read the description and see what else I'd need to modify.

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2014, 05:34:09 AM »
Somewhere it seems I read that a wing extension on the F-105 would have significantly improved its agility.

True?  Who knows.  ;D

But with that in mind, take Monogram's F-105F and extend the main wing a bit, put some tip rails on it, outfit it for RAF Air to Ground strike missions possibly including antishipping.   
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2014, 08:48:17 AM »
A couple ideas for a RAF strike version of the F-105: A bulged spine like that of the T-Stick II installation but containing British avionics for all-weather strike and, internally only, the J75 replaced by an Olympus 300R from the TSR.2 (either as a supplement/complement to the TSR.2 or as a replacement after the cancellation).

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 02:12:20 AM »
A re-engine job to something less thirsty would definitely be in order.

I'd also say that four petaled tail pipe/speed brake arrangement would have to go. I imagine a lot of weight in hydraulics to move all that heavy, heat resistant metal must have been crammed in. Let the tail pipe just be a tail pipe and redesign lighter weight material speed brakes further forward of it in perhaps a similar arrangement to what the Sukhoi "Fitter" family had.

Also, would wider chord tail surfaces benefit the Thud? The fin and horizontal stabilizers always looked a bit undersize to me in relation to the rest of the aircraft.

On that matter, could the wing be reworked with higher lift devices that could reduce take off and landing roll and give improved low speed handling? Full span flaps on leading and trailing edges perhaps.

How about a later, lightened version after countermeasures reached a quality that some armor could be dispensed with and composite materials worked in?

As for foreign users....

The Thud in imperial Iran probably wouldn't have been out of the question as a forerunner and supplemental aircraft to Phantoms.

Any country that had the Canberra for strike purposes and needed to replace it; Argentina, Australia, India or New Zealand for example could have been good Thud candidates.

The maritime strike angle has been mentioned already; this could open the door to countries like Germany, Denmark, Norway and Japan.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:15:41 AM by upnorth »
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2014, 08:14:49 AM »
Not extended wings as per Daryl's idea, but I'm sure you could fit a rail on the end.
F-15 wings (in the same scale as the Thud fuselage! :icon_surprised:)

Or how about swing-wings? From a Su-17 Fitter and again to scale:

Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2014, 10:06:42 AM »
Not extended wings as per Daryl's idea, but I'm sure you could fit a rail on the end.
F-15 wings (in the same scale as the Thud fuselage! :icon_surprised:)

Use the square-tip wing originally flown on the prototype F-15s and you've got your spot for wingtip missile rails.

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2014, 10:33:22 AM »
Heh...precisely that wing was why a $5.00 Mongram 1/48 F-15A in a beater of a box came home too the other day.  But it would be only a substrate and therefore unrecognizable as to its origins.

I love raised panel line kits for this type of work.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:35:15 AM by Daryl J. »
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2014, 11:19:51 AM »
Kitbashers take note:  all those wings work well.

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 10:19:58 AM »
I can't get that AP-75 proposal off my mind......

Is it possible to keep the intake configuration but use the ramjet like the one on XF-103?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:21:31 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 11:47:35 AM »
If I was doing a 1/72 AP-75, and I am planning on it, I'd use a 1/48 F-105 center fuselage and intakes with cockpits from an early F-105B and a F-105F/G and use the two aft ends for the side-by-side J75s.  Mixing the AP-75's intakes with the XF-103's ramjet could be done, but 'twould be somewhat more difficult from an inlet-flow integration standpoint, the XF-103's inlet was chosen for good reasons, including ease of integration with the entire propulsion system.

Offline mrvr6

• Accidentally created a Tejas….
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2014, 02:09:47 PM »
why are the intakes swept like they are?

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
why are the intakes swept like they are?
It's one way of controlling the shock.  The Arrow Mk.III would have had similar and Vickers Type 571, which was merged with the English Electric P.17 to form the TSR.2, had similar intakes, t.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2014, 11:40:09 PM »
Somewhere it seems I read that a wing extension on the F-105 would have significantly improved its agility.

True?  Who knows.  ;D

But with that in mind, take Monogram's F-105F and extend the main wing a bit, put some tip rails on it, outfit it for RAF Air to Ground strike missions possibly including antishipping.

An extended wing might improve air-to-air agility but it would work against low-level strike
missions as a larger wing would increase the gust loads.

Damned if ye do, damned if ye don't.  ;D

F-105 would look cool with the flying surfaces cut to match this:

Cut off the painted bits to create curved tips.
 :icon_fsm:

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2014, 02:10:39 AM »
Ah, Hawker-style planforms for the flying surfaces.  That would look attractive, perhaps as new end-cap elements for the existing wings and horziontal tails isntead of trimming the existing surfaces.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2014, 08:54:43 AM »
Did the F-105 ever use the internal bomb bay for anything other than fuel?  Seems rather small and slim.  Fine for a nuke but not much that would be useful...

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2014, 09:10:55 AM »
Did the F-105 ever use the internal bomb bay for anything other than fuel?  Seems rather small and slim.  Fine for a nuke but not much that would be useful...
I think some of the early ones carried tactical nukes there, but when it went conventional, external carriage of bombs made more sense.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2014, 09:25:33 AM »
A naval strike version would be awesome! Single seat or two seater? It would be fun to watch the rivet counter's hair catch fire!

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2014, 09:29:30 AM »
A naval strike version would be awesome! Single seat or two seater? It would be fun to watch the rivet counter's hair catch fire!
Definitely a two-seater, perhaps with a spine like that for T-Stick II.  Probably in a scheme for land-based naval aircraft as I can't see a Thud making carrier landings without a lot of mods.  Something like the Thunderchief S.2 from my first post, but with dedicated anti-ship missiles.

Hmm, same airframe in French markings and camo carrying four ASMPs for the nuclear strike role.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2014, 09:40:48 AM »
Definitely a two-seater, perhaps with a spine like that for T-Stick II.  Probably in a scheme for land-based naval aircraft as I can't see a Thud making carrier landings without a lot of mods.  Something like the Thunderchief S.2 from my first post, but with dedicated anti-ship missiles.

Hmm, same airframe in French markings and camo carrying four ASMPs for the nuclear strike role.

The image in my mind was German Navy markings with a load of missiles. Definitely a land based version. Two seater sounds better the more I think about it.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2014, 09:48:58 AM »
Ah, in MFG1 or MFG2 markings with a full load-out of four Komoran missiles?  That could seriously ruin any surface combatant's day.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2014, 10:42:21 AM »
I was just thinking about using the Wild Weasel version with two seats and all the extra lumps and bumps. Would be nice to accommodate some radar tracking and countermeasures equipment.