Author Topic: 1/72 Curtiss/Ford Spatted Speed Hawk from the Heller Hawk 75  (Read 3622 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 Curtiss/Ford Spatted Speed Hawk from the Heller Hawk 75
« on: December 23, 2015, 08:43:42 AM »

The Bendix trophy left such a mark in aviation that it's practically a household word.

Equally prestigious, yet utterly forgotten today is the Hendrix trophy.

Awarded for only a few years, the Hendrix trophy would leave its own mark in the annals of air racing.

It all began during the depths of the Great Depression when the Ford Motor Co. purchased the airplane engine division of cash-strapped Curtiss-Wright. These odd bedfellows would yield yet more strangeness when Curtiss designed a new air racer around the Ford R-1841 Willow Run 14 cylinder radial engine, then the most powerful power-plant available.

Featuring an enclosed cockpit and the most intimidating spatted landing gear yet seen (even the tail wheel was spatted), the new Curtiss racer was the last word in streamlining.

Unfortunately at first, the streamlining stopped where the cowling ended.

Fortunately, the Curtiss engineers figured out that adding a prop with a nice, pointy spinner also added another 5 1/3 m.p.h. to the racer's top speed. Not only that, but it upped the intimidation factor by 17%.

With the new prop in place and some solid test-runs under their belt, the Curtiss/Ford team felt confident as the 1935 Hendrix trophy competition approached.

They had reason for optimism. The day before the race, four competitors dropped out after catching a glimpse of the Curtiss/Ford Spatted Speed Hawk and its awe-inspiring undercarriage.

Fourteen others remained, including the well-known Swedish team and their #12 Bee Gee racer. Excitement was at a fever pitch as the aircraft engines sparked to life and were run up pending starter's orders.

The Curtiss/Ford Spatted Speed Hawk acquitted itself well and as the first day of racing concluded, it was in 5th place but had set course lap-time record as the engine started coming into its own.

After the second day of racing, the Curtiss/Ford team found itself in 2nd place, just behind the Swedes and their #12 Bee Gee . The third and final day of the Hendrix trophy competition would prove if the Spatted Speed Hawk had what it took to be a winner.

The race was a real nail-biter as the Spatted Speed Hawk and the Bee Gee traded first place many times. A crisis struck in the 34th lap when a hydraulic line ruptured in the Curtiss/Ford machine. Fortunately, the leak was within reach of the pilot and he was able to plug it by using a baloney sandwich from his lunch (the real pros always pack a lunch for air racing).

Though widely overlooked, Oscar Meyer baloney has unique properties which make it ideal for plugging hydraulic leaks.

By lap 38, the Spatted Speed Hawk had regained lost ground (err, air) and was once again vying for 1st place.

As this newspaper clipping from the Renton Reporter attests, the Spatted Speed Hawk was finally able to take the lead and win the Hendrix trophy.

The last running of the Hendrix trophy took place in 1937, a full 30 years before the hit single Purple Haze was released. Very few mementos of it (the race, not the hit single) have survived except for this crude Mach 3 kit, so named because that's the speed at which it hits the wall when you give up in frustration.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:54:02 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/72 Curtiss/Ford Spatted Speed Hawk from the Heller Hawk 75
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 09:21:04 AM »
This all began with a classic 1/72 Heller Curtiss Hawk 75 I picked up recently. Isn't that box art exciting? Makes me want to take off to meet the Hun!

Great works of art aside, P-36s can be a challenge to modify. The Heller kit even more so because it has this terrible anhedral or downward droop to the wings. The last time I built one, I sort-of corrected it by using fat rubber bands to hold the wings while the super glue set. This time I was going for something a little more radical.

Actually, that wasn't done to fix the droop, but to give me a clean wing to start from. It did help as the thinner card made the wing a little more flexible. Sanding back the ends of the upper wing panels where they meet the wing root seemed to cure it.

You may have noticed that amazingly aerodynamic tail wheel. One of the brass collectors from a Monogram P-36 was used along with half of the kit tail wheel. A bit of sprue plugged the wheel well.

The canopy was a bit of luck as I found what I think are refugee Fw-190 canopy parts that fit like a charm. The sharper angle of the new windscreen seemed to give it a good look for racing.

Decals were mostly from the venerable Testors/Hawk Howard "Ike' except for the Ford logos which come from a trimotor.
The reason for this is because some later photos of the Howard "Ike" had this great Chevy logo on the wing.

Well, I didn't have any Chevy logos in the decal dungeon, but I did have a few for Ford. Then I imagined Ford buying the Curtiss-Wright engine division and I had a good chunk of the back story. Here's the standard upper/lower views. I really liked how the color of the Howard "Ike" registration matched what I used to tint the canopy.

The spats were made with my patented "glue a half wheel on a stick and wrap it in sheet" method. The model was brush-painted by hand in acrylics, Poly Scale Lettering Gray and Model Masters Aircraft Interior Black mostly.

I had a lot of fun on this model which took about a week from start to finish.

I hope you enjoyed the Spatted Speed Hawk and reading a little more forgotten history. Here's one last shot of those incredibly intimidating spats. Aren't you glad you don't have to race against this beast?

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:27:03 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 09:27:51 AM »
So thatz the story ???
Bet newspaper clippings of that were among those in grandmothers Tacoma attic.  Lots of aviation and a few sports clippings.  Though saw clippings in the 60s and for some reason some memories of then are vague.  Them spats have a seriously fast streamlined look.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 09:47:15 AM »
the Hawk 75 looks surprisingly good in this rendition ! :)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 10:38:53 AM »
Very 30's Art Deco looking design, Brian! So was Capt. Yossarian the pilot?

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 05:53:25 PM »
Very 30's Art Deco looking design, Brian! So was Capt. Yossarian the pilot?

Actually, it was flown by Hungry Joe (hence the baloney sandwich). Yossarian was close by in case a bombardier was needed.

Glad you guys like this one. I had a blast building it!

Brian da Basher

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
Question Brian: What do you have more fun doing: building yet another awesome kit or the back story which is not baloney. ;)

Either way they are both first class.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 09:47:44 AM »
Love that trousered main landing gear and faired tailwheel  :-*
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 09:51:46 AM »
Love the creativity and work in both the model and the backstory; I always enjoy your efforts.