Author Topic: Army goes Electric  (Read 1697 times)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Army goes Electric
« on: December 19, 2022, 07:45:54 AM »
US company Canoo has supplied a prototype electric Light Tactical Vehicle based on their electric pick-up to the US Army.

The German (diesel-electric) Elephant was a failure in WW2 but can we look forward to an all electric Battle Tank in the future ?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Army goes Electric
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 04:49:57 PM »
Looks like a plastic version of the VW T3 Transporter. ::)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 06:25:22 PM »
UGH  :(

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 05:50:45 AM »
I was Aberdeen test centre about 20 years back and they had rigged a Humvee with 4 electric motors at each wheel. Zero to 60 mph in ~ 6 seconds! Kind of surprised there's not been that much movement in the tech. Consider how far the ICE advanced in a 20 year period.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 06:37:06 AM »
JerryRigEverything converted a HMMWV to all electric using Tesla batteries. He has an amazing shop, plus obviously has all the skills needed.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2022, 09:48:47 AM »
I'll take "what is a magnet for an EMP airburst by a fairly low tech opponent?" for $200, Trebek.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2022, 10:00:09 AM »
EMPs would damage dinosaur juice drinkers, too. One of the biggest issues with all electric vehicles is their weight. An EV with a usable range (300mi/500ish KM) is going to be close to 5000 lbs - that's before you slap on armor and weapons (and that'll eat into the range). Recharge time (15-30 minutes) will be an issue, especially if you have drones hunting for targets.

In a few years there'll be lighter batteries with much quicker charge times (well under 10 minutes), but the technology isn't quite there yet.

Offline Story

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2022, 01:24:19 AM »
EMPs would damage dinosaur juice drinkers, too.

I'm more intimate with the "React to Nuclear Blast" drills with the M60A3, but the M1 is EMP protected. It's a maintenance priority, even.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2022, 01:47:08 AM »
Adding shielding, grounding and the appropriate feedthrus for the electronics to protect against EMPs are going to add weight. Add armor and an electric HMMWV or equivalent would weigh several thousand pounds more, which means fewer vehicles in a helicopter/cargo plane. Not saying it's a show stopper, but it's a concern.

Offline Story

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2022, 01:09:15 AM »
Not saying it's a show stopper, but it's a concern.

Remember how the Stryker was sold as a C-130 transportable AFV, until it got too fat with add-ons?

Remember how the Humvee was sold as a great replacement for the jeep, until we got to the transmission issues?

I'm just skeptical of all the new pocket-lining projects.

New Rule - Military/Industrial Complex Board members have to have a child in uniform in a combat unit of the branch in which they offer wares.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2022, 03:20:24 AM »
New Rule - Military/Industrial Complex Board members have to have a child in uniform in a combat unit of the branch in which they offer wares.

Their favorite child.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2022, 02:03:33 AM »
The German (diesel-electric) Elephant was a failure in WW2 but can we look forward to an all electric Battle Tank in the future ?

Comparing technology from 80 years ago is hardly a fair comparison. 

The future is likely to be electric for tanks.  In fact, earlier this year, the ABRAMS-X technology demonstrator adopted a hybrid power pak. It employs an advanced Cummings diesel engine at the primary power source with the addition of electric batteries in a parallel configuration.  Electric supplies power in low demand periods like stationary operation, in silent watch as well as offering exportable power. Diesel drives the tank with electric available to augment power needs at high demand periods. The vehicle as configured meets current range demands with 50 percent less fuel but the design could be altered to increase this range. It also offers the instantaneous power/high acceleration that the existing AGT1500 turbine gives the Abrams.

Offline Story

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2022, 02:01:37 AM »
If Call of Duty is all over it, can reality be far behind?

GMC HUMMER EV Joins CALL OF DUTY
https://www.gmc.com/electric/hummer-ev/insider/cod-hev-gaming

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2022, 02:49:55 AM »

Comparing technology from 80 years ago is hardly a fair comparison. 

The future is likely to be electric for tanks.  In fact, earlier this year, the ABRAMS-X technology demonstrator adopted a hybrid power pak. It employs an advanced Cummings Cummins diesel engine at the primary power source with the addition of electric batteries in a parallel configuration.  Electric supplies power in low demand periods like stationary operation, in silent watch as well as offering exportable power. Diesel drives the tank with electric available to augment power needs at high demand periods. The vehicle as configured meets current range demands with 50 percent less fuel but the design could be altered to increase this range. It also offers the instantaneous power/high acceleration that the existing AGT1500 turbine gives the Abrams.

;)

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2022, 03:23:19 AM »
Doh!!! :-[