Author Topic: HMAS Buccaneer - A submarine  (Read 5661 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
HMAS Buccaneer - A submarine
« on: November 05, 2023, 12:34:33 PM »
That's the working title, anyway.

And so the Sun arose, commencing its arc across the blue Southern sky and the Old Wombat slept on.

Eventually, in the late morning, he crawled out of bed and shuffled off to find coffee and perform the usual morning functions associated with transitioning from sleep to wakefulness.

He had a chat with Mrs Old Wombat and Wombat the Younger, then Wombat the Elder Younger video-called and the Wombat family had a chat, including Old Wombat's grandson, Wombat the Youngest.

Finally, Old Wombat found himself with some free time & took some photographs of some strange plastic.

This is a build happening for the " The Buccaneer, Harrier and Jaguar Group Build" over on What If... Modellers &, for those who are visual people (me, for example), I took these first few photo's.

It looks like a Bucc;

Until it doesn't;

I have to say that this is the worst Airfix kit I've ever tried to put together! :icon_crap:

Even where the parts are meant to fit flush I've often had to resort to liquid styrene to glue them together because the gaps are so bleedin' HUGE! :o

Still a lot of grinding, filing & sanding to do, even before I get to the PSR phase. ::)

Next up will be painting the insides of the intake & exhaust tubes, putting them together & fitting them.  While I wait for the paints to dry I'll try to sort out filling the cockpit space.

But it is a WiP, so these things are to be expected. So, onwards & (slowly) upwards! :smiley:

PS: With the conning tower I find she looks very "Gerry Anderson" but, if you take the conning tower out of the image & think of that little bulge just forward of it as a command deck or bridge, how much does it look like a sci-fi starship!? ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: HMAS Buccaneer - A submarine
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 01:29:10 AM »
Interesting.  Possibly also a candidate for the British Commonwealth GB if you wanted to enter.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 02:29:30 AM »
This could also work as an SSC spacecraft. It looks vaguely like a Leif Ericson.

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 05:05:27 AM »
Definite SkyDiver vibes there . . .

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 07:35:21 AM »
Is it recovering a UFO from the seabed ?  ;D
 :smiley: :smiley:

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 09:28:33 PM »
Like it! The family Wombat’s heavy engineering department is on full throttle!  :o ;) :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2023, 09:59:41 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen! Very much appreciated! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

If you think it's good to go for the Commonwealth GB*, Greg, I'm happy for it to be moved. :))

... Or I could start another thread there. ???

[*: Although I jumped the gun & started it on the 1st. :-[]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 10:03:21 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 01:48:24 AM »
[*: Although I jumped the gun & started it on the 1st. :-[]

I'm not picky...

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 01:53:01 AM »
Looks cool all around!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2023, 04:24:19 AM »
Is it recovering a UFO from the seabed ?  ;D
 :smiley: :smiley:

Does seem to be.
Looks fast and deep diving.  UFO recovery and research submarine.  :smiley:

Offline Kerick

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2023, 07:24:07 AM »
At the moment it looks like it’s flying through the Mach loop! The rock and vegetation in the background is very convincing.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 10:41:08 AM »
That would not look out of place in a Gerry Anderson puppet show. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2023, 10:18:45 PM »
Thanks , gents! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Did a bit this ... yesterday morning before work.

Not enought to justify any further photo's though.

And thanks, Greg, for moving her here! :smiley:

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2023, 11:23:10 PM »
Here is my choice for Captain and First Officer:

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2023, 02:42:02 AM »
Och! I have found the Buccaneer to be an attractive and malleable form myself, but this is a crackin' idea! 

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2023, 09:43:38 PM »
More a Thunderbirds person, myself, but not bad, Carl! :smiley:

Thank you, Doc! :icon_alabanza:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2023, 09:44:38 PM »
And now we come to this morning's photo's tonight!

As you can see, the intakes & exhausts/outlets are fitted & the cockpit gap has been roughed in.

The upper fin is only dry fitted for now because the next stage is Putty ... Lots & lots of Putty! ... Then Sand & Repeat, & I don't want to break it off a dozen times whilst I'm doing that. :-\

Offline Kerick

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2023, 11:29:40 PM »
Needs diving planes!

This makes me want to start a project!   No! Sit boy, sit! Good boy!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2023, 12:27:55 AM »
Needs diving planes!

Yes, it does, & I have some put aside but, considering I'm of the opinion that the upper fin is likely to get damaged multiple times during PSR on the hull, there's no way I'm putting the hydroplanes anywhere near the hull until the PSR is finished! :o

Offline Kerick

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2023, 08:26:45 AM »
Are you using the horizontal stabilizers from the Buccaneer?

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2023, 09:04:04 AM »
Are you using the horizontal stabilizers from the Buccaneer?

No, they're far too big.

I'm going with tail planes from a 1/72 WW2 British fighter.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2023, 11:31:08 PM »
1st round of Puttying done.

A bit of the 1st round of Sanding under weigh.

:smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2023, 02:55:36 AM »
this so good, very impressed

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2023, 10:56:30 PM »
It only took four major & two minor rounds of PSR, plus a few minor touch-ups, to get her to the point where the following could happen:

All four hydroplanes on, now.

A fix-up of a slip-up needed.

Finishing off the hydroplane attachments, checking for any remaining visible or "feel-able" blemishes, then a final blast of primer.

I'll take a few photo's then & have a think about any more greeblies to add (Oh, & some scribing work). ;)

Offline Claymore

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2023, 06:06:47 AM »
Can’t wait!  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2023, 03:49:43 PM »
With the cat dying yesterday I was in no mood for modelling when I got home from work.

Tonight, however, is a different story!

We'll see how far I get. ;)

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2023, 02:51:03 AM »
Man, I am sorry to hear about you cat. As a cat person myself, I sympathize. looking forward to the next pictures.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2023, 12:51:19 PM »
Thanks, Craig! I'm mostly a general "animal person" (not that that stops me hunting) but cats are, pretty much, the pinnacle of pets. I like their independent attitude. :))

Now, on with the build!

The fairings at the bases of the hydroplanes need more work to get them right & the conning tower bridge needs to be done (deck, bulkheads & periscopes, etc.), plus, while I'm doing those, I can finish off the few small panel/seam lines that appeared on this pass.

Not too bad, really. :smiley:

Offline Claymore

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2023, 10:56:33 PM »
Condolences on the cat front mate…  :(

The model is looking very cool - Gerry Anderson would have been proud!  :smiley:

Offline Kerick

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2023, 10:14:34 AM »
Condolences on the cat front mate…  :(

The model is looking very cool - Gerry Anderson would have been proud!  :smiley:

I second these sentiments!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2023, 06:30:36 PM »
Thanks, guys! (On both counts.) :icon_alabanza:

Just as a bit of an addendum:

This is outside of my primary Alt. History & the base scenario is made up just for this build (it's how my mind works best). In this scenario Australia becomes a member of the nuclear family in the 1950's (either with/without British/US support). They develop (again, either with/without British/US support) IRBMs (possibly based on Blue Streak), nuclear-powered submarines & SLBMs, cruise missiles, etc.

In my mind Buccaneer is the second of the Privateer sub-class of the Pirate-class* of submarines (HMAS's Privateer, Buccaneer, Corsair, Seawolf & Marauder) which are SSBNs.

Then there is the Bushranger sub-class (HMAS's Bushranger, Highwayman, Outlaw, Brigand, Bandit, Blackleg, Hunter, Huntress, Stalker & Tracker), which don't have the bulged top & are attack (hunter-killer) submarines, which carry a lot of VLS cells & 6 torpedo tubes. [Note: Brigand, Bandit & Blackleg could be considered a sub-sub-class, as they are fitted out for covert op's insertion, extraction, command & control.]

Finally, there is the Smuggler sub-class (HMAAV**'s Smuggler, Gunrunner, Bootlegger, Freebooter, Drummer, Merchanter, Trader & Courier) which do have the hump but, rather than missile boats, they're submarine freighters designed to re-supply the other submarines & supply ground forces operating adjacent to heavily contested waters & where air superiority/supremacy has not been attained. They retain the self-defence suite of the Privateer sub-class.

[*: Pirate was the prototype/test vessel of the class &, although commissioned, was never operational.]
[**: HMAAV = Her/His Majesty's Australian Auxilliary Vessel]

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2023, 01:03:34 AM »
 I like the class names, but I am, ah, piratically inclined, shall we say? ;) The only thing I'd do differently would be to square off the tips of the dive planes-the rounded tips don't jibe with the rudders and the sail. Does the Buccaneer use shrouded props or a fancy MHD propulsion system?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2023, 01:34:26 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2023, 05:52:30 AM »
REally moving ahead... still really liking this. A lot

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2023, 06:28:57 PM »
The fairings for the hydroplanes have gone somewhat awry, so the build is in a hiatus for a bit, while I consider what to do about fixing them or, more likely, removing them & rebuilding them from scratch. :icon_crap:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2023, 08:19:20 PM »
The fairings for the hydroplanes have gone somewhat awry, so the build is in a hiatus for a bit, while I consider what to do about fixing them or, more likely, removing them & rebuilding them from scratch. :icon_crap:

Use Thruster tech for axis control. Hydroplanes are so last century ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2023, 05:23:26 PM »
I've started the rectification process on this & have some parts* ready to (hopefully) create better fairings but, as I'm on night shifts for a while, there won't be much happening for a few days, at least.

[*: I'm pretty sure they're poorly detailed 1/72 BL.755 Cluster bomb halves ... But I could be wrong, I just don't think I am. ;) ]

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2023, 04:08:26 PM »
Ten days?! :o

Finally, I've had a chance to do a tiny bit more work & fit the fairings. :D

First round of putty should happen on them tonight. :smiley:

Offline Claymore

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2023, 11:21:54 PM »
I've started the rectification process on this & have some parts* ready to (hopefully) create better fairings but, as I'm on night shifts for a while, there won't be much happening for a few days, at least.

Mate, you need to kick that work nonsense into touch! To misquote: ‘If work offends, cut it out’  ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2023, 08:10:04 AM »

Mate, you need to kick that work nonsense into touch! To misquote: ‘If work offends, cut it out’  ;)

Unfortunately, I'm not in a financial position which allows that. To retire right now I'd need to win the lotto. :icon_crap:

I should have stayed in the military (on the old DFRDB* scheme) & retired 20 to 15 years ago on 75-80% of my final annual pay, tax free, un-means-tested. ::)

[*: Defence Force Retirement & Death Benefits]

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2023, 01:08:45 AM »
I should have stayed in the military (on the old DFRDB* scheme) & retired 20 to 15 years ago on 75-80% of my final annual pay, tax free, un-means-tested. ::)

Ah yes.  MSBS is nowhere near as nice as DFRDB...

Offline Claymore

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2023, 01:42:35 AM »
Blimey, 75-80% and tax-free… nice…

I’ll put a word in with the lotto dudes!  ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2023, 03:59:57 PM »
1st round of putty, sanding & primer has happened on the new fairings, & they're looking pretty good.

Do need to do some more work, though, & photo's will happen after I'm happy with them. :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2023, 04:59:32 PM »
After a delay due to illness & injury ...

Photo's of where I'm at tomorrow! :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2023, 09:17:57 AM »
Photo's of where I'm at:

Photo's were taken in the garage as there's a bit of a stiff breeze outside. making photography a bit difficult against the usual backdrop.

Now a few edited shots:

Hope that satisfies the current cravings! ;)

Next up is a bit of scribing...

...followed by the paint scheme! 8)

Offline finsrin

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2023, 12:20:47 PM »
Does satisfy current cravings.   Looks on its way to being in a starring roll in a movie.  :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2023, 01:28:56 PM »
Submarine or Sci Fi Corvette.. either way, really great work. Smooth as the proverbial.

Great stuff.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2023, 06:16:04 PM »
Thanks, gent's! :icon_alabanza:

It has taken a while to get her that smooth &, even so, there are a few little rough spots left, but the effort of removing them is more than the improvement in the smoothness is worth.

Now to work on the sensor suite & scribing panel lines.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2023, 05:04:44 AM »
This is looking spectacular! And, as finsrin said, tamps down the cravings for now  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2023, 10:57:00 PM »
Thanks, mate! :smiley:

"Panel lines" for the hatches of the 15 Trident II sized SLBM's scribed.

Some more scribing to go & the sensor suite (Just how they jam that much ... stuff, all of it retractable, into a conning tower is mind boggling! :icon_surprised: )

Offline Claymore

« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2023, 05:02:04 PM »
Great concept, great execution - perhaps a C-130 battleship next?  ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2023, 07:08:02 PM »
Thanks, mate! :icon_alabanza:

Um, I don't think so. If I didn't have two new-mould Buccaneers in the stash, this old-mould would not have been quite so ... available.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2023, 11:58:44 PM »
Those last pictures look like it’s exploring an underwater cliff. Just add some bubbles, a blue filter and a giant squid!

Might look good with one of the Bandai mecha dolls Ultraman subs.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2024, 10:08:27 PM »
You all thought this was dead, didn't you!? :icon_sueno:

Mojo went for a bit of a holiday, still struggling with it** but I have managed to finish the scribing & apply paint (that last happened this evening).

I need to pull off some masking to see how it's gone &, if it's OK, I may post a photo or two tomorrow ... Maybe. ;)

[**: The modelling room is a mess, to the point that it's next to impossible to do any work in there, because I got fed up with, & distracted from the clean-up. So, when this build is finished, I will be cleaning the damned room out & tidying it up so I can actually enjoy my modelling!]

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2024, 09:02:21 AM »
By the way, I hope no-one was hoping for Boring-Grey as a colour scheme on this because I'm allergic to Boring-Grey, & this beast is a long way off it! ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2024, 11:02:05 AM »
Photo's have been taken! :smiley:

Unfortunately I can't log onto SmugMug at the moment to upload them. :icon_crap:

I'll try later, to see if the issue has been resolved. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2024, 12:24:36 PM »
Told you it ain"t Boring-Grey! ;D

Offline Kerick

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2024, 12:40:58 PM »
That’s awesome! It makes the build!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2024, 01:09:12 PM »
Thanks, mate! :icon_alabanza:

Offline finsrin

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2024, 02:05:09 PM »
One of those models that deserves a movie to star in  :-*

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2024, 03:05:03 PM »
Thanks, Bill! :icon_alabanza:

Unfortunately, I think the era of the submarine adventure movie/series is gone. :icon_crap:

Movies: 20,000 Leagues under the Sea; Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea; The Atomic Submarine; Around the World under the Sea;

TV Series: SeaQuest DSV; Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea;

OK, maybe there's room for another TV series, but you'll notice that there hasn't been a new one since the mid-1990s, probably because no-one can see any money in it. ;)

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea was a favourite of mine when I was young ... very young.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2024, 04:51:43 PM »
Stunning paint job and build, if I hadn't been following the build I would have difficulty in identifying the original kit  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

There was a series called Viligent recently on the BBC series gritty murder investigation  on a submarine

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2024, 05:40:04 PM »
Thanks, 'Mog! :icon_alabanza:

You probably mean "Vigil", but that's a crime drama rather than adventure series. ;)

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2024, 11:29:04 PM »
 Now that came out beaUUUUuuutiful!

Nice to know somebody else remembers THE ATOMIC SUBMARINE - I was watching that again just recently.
 (And you can find a lot of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on youtube.  ;) )

Offline Claymore

« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2024, 02:48:27 AM »
Mate, it has been well worth the wait! What a stunning paint job and innovative camo- what was your inspiration?  :-*  :smiley:

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2024, 06:11:23 AM »
Thanks, 'Mog! :icon_alabanza:

You probably mean "Vigil", but that's a crime drama rather than adventure series. ;)

Quite right, my bad, guilty as charged  ;D ;D ;D

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2024, 06:37:20 AM »
Told you it ain"t Boring-Grey! ;D

Fantastic scheme!  :-*
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2024, 02:29:38 PM »
Thank you very much, gentlemen! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Unfortunately, Craig, I don't actually remember "The Atomic Submarine", I remembered its name but not the movie.

Claymore: In part it was SeaQuest DSV but, mostly, it was remembering flying over the ocean & noticing that the colour of the sea wasn't monochrome dark blue & that white-caps criss-crossed its surface. and having seen the pale silvery-blue of the surface of the ocean looking up from below, criss-crossed by ripples of light.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 06:47:29 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2024, 02:52:35 PM »
I love the undersea camo! It looks great!

"The Atomic Submarine" movie from 1959 is online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lGEgFY4hA4

Not good, not terrible.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2024, 06:48:26 PM »
Thanks, Frank! :smiley:

Think I'll give the movie a miss, though. ;)

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2024, 11:37:19 PM »
Thanks, Frank! :smiley:

Think I'll give the movie a miss, though. ;)

Ah, Frank beat me to it. It's also available on the TUBI streaming site. Frank's right, it isn't a great movie, but I give it 'E' for effort, as my Dad used to say. The miniatures and the plot were deserving of a better budget, but the acting and direction were...  :-[

Offline Claymore

« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2024, 02:47:58 AM »
Claymore: In part it was SeaQuest DSV but, mostly, it was remembering flying over the ocean & noticing that the colour of the sea wasn't monochrome dark blue & that white-caps criss-crossed its surface. and having seen the pale silvery-blue of the surface of the ocean looking up from below, criss-crossed by ripples of light.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline Kerick

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2024, 05:24:45 AM »

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

So true!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2024, 04:36:47 PM »
It just works... super good in all respects.

The nod to Seaquest and your quite valid RW observations make it even better.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2024, 04:58:35 PM »
Thanks, BT! :icon_alabanza:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2024, 01:31:11 AM »
Glossed this earlier today & did some pin washing tonight.

Tossing up whether to weather it like this:

Or like this:

But I'm trending more towards this:

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2024, 06:57:47 AM »
I personally like new and shiny myself.

Are you also going to build the Mammoet Self-Propelled Modular Transporter?

Mammoet finishes heaviest lift over a freeway Canada
We used them many times in our rapid bridge replacements here in Ottawa. 2,100-ton bridge.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 07:05:09 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2024, 09:40:49 AM »
I've gone for something between this:

And this:

So, very light weathering.

And, no, Carl, I'll probably just go for a basic stand & leave it at that.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2024, 10:50:33 PM »
Photo's later today (it being 0120hrs here).

Offline Claymore

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2024, 03:44:02 AM »
 :smiley:  :smiley:  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2024, 04:53:03 PM »
Well, this could be awkward; SmugMug is playing up! :-[

I'll keep trying, though! :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2024, 08:35:23 PM »
Right, got that sorted! :thumbsup:

SSBN-404 HMAS Buccaneer

In the late-1950's Australia, fed up with being treated as a useful place to test nuclear weapons without being "allowed" to join the club, denied the UK further use of its territory for testing of its nuclear warheads & the missiles that were to carry them. As the USA was explicitly against allowing any newcomers into the Nuclear Family & would offer no assistance, Australia took what information it had gleaned from its scientists, who had worked with the British & Americans on their tests, & developed their own power stations, enrichment plants, nuclear weapons & missiles. Initially somewhat inferior to those of their allies, by their third generation of weapons they had caught up in both yield & delivery performances.

Australia's first nuclear submarine, HMAS Woomera (possibly named as something of a snub to the British) was commissioned in 1964, & was armed with 8 Wiiny Dunha (Fire Stick) SLBMs & 6 torpedo tubes (4 forward, 2 aft). A further 3 of her class were built by 1970, alongside 6 diesel-electric hunter-killer submarines.

Australia was formally accepted as a nuclear power in 1973.

By 2020 the RAN were bringing their 4th Generation SSNs on line. This was the "modular*" Pirate-class**, designed to be fast & almost undetectable, & the first vessels to be powered by a magnetohydrodynamic propulsion system. The final submarine of the class was commissioned on the 11th of November, 2045.

The Pirate-class SSNs are divided into 3 sub-classes;

The largest number of vessels are of the Bushranger sub-class (HMAS's Bushranger, Highwayman, Outlaw, Brigand, Bandit, Blackleg, Hunter, Huntress, Stalker & Tracker), which are attack (hunter-killer) submarines, & carry a lot of VLS cells plus 8 torpedo tubes (6 forward, 2 aft). [Note: Brigand, Bandit & Blackleg could be considered a sub-sub-class, as they are fitted out for covert op's insertion, extraction, command & control.]

Then there are the Smuggler sub-class (HMAAV***'s Smuggler, Gunrunner, Bootlegger, Freebooter, Drummer, Merchanter, Trader & Courier) which have a large hump along the centre section of their spine used for carrying cargo, as they are submarine freighters designed to re-supply the other submarines & supply ground forces operating adjacent to heavily contested waters & where air superiority/supremacy has not been attained. They have a self-defence suite of two 8-cell VLS & 4 torpedo tubes (2 forward, 2 aft).

Finally, there are the Privateer sub-class of submarines (HMAS's Privateer, Buccaneer, Corsair, Seawolf & Marauder). The smallest of the three sub-classes of the the Pirate-class of submarines, they are the RAN's "deterrent" force of SSBNs, each carrying 16 Bullroarer nuclear armed missiles (similar in size & performance to the US Trident II) in a hump identical in profile to that of the Smuggler sub-class, two 8-cell VLS systems & four torpedo tubes (2 forward, 2 aft).

Here we have SSBN-404 HMAS Buccaneer, the second of the Privateer sub-class of the Pirate-class

« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 08:49:04 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2024, 08:37:14 PM »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2024, 08:38:03 PM »

[*:  "Modular", in this instance, meaning that various modules could be dropped in during construction to become a permanent part of the vessel's structure, rather than be able to be swapped out once built.]
[**: Pirate was the prototype/test vessel of the class &, although commissioned, was never operational.]
[***: HMAAV = Her/His Majesty's Australian Auxilliary Vessel]

PS: I haven't taken any measurements, so I can't give you dimensions. I may try to figure some out at a later date.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2024, 08:47:00 PM »
Pirate-class submarine TORPEDOES

The Pirate-class submarines use 3 primary torpedo types;

White Shark:
Weight: something over 2,000kg
Warhead: 350kg PBX (Polymer-Bonded eXplosive)
Diameter: 533mm (21in)
Length: 7.75m
Guidance: wire-guided, thermal-signature tracking, Advanced Passive/Active Acoustic
Propulsion:    gas-turbine pump-jet, solid-fuel rocket booster
Range: up to 75km at low speed (20-25kn)
Speed: up to 75kn on pump jet with the solid-fuel rocket booster providing a 25sec accelerating burst up to 200kn
Operating Depth: >1,000m

Tiger Shark:
Weight: approx. 1,800kg
Warhead: 300kg PBX (Polymer-Bonded eXplosive)
Diameter: 533mm (21in)
Length: 7m
Guidance: wire-guided, Advanced Passive/Active Sonar
Propulsion: high-frequency electric pump-jet
Range: up to 50km at low speed (15-20kn)
Speed: up to 80kn

Bull Shark:
Weight: approx. 1,000kg
Warhead: 200kg PBX (Polymer-Bonded eXplosive)
Diameter: 320mm (12.5in)
Length: 4.85m
Guidance: Advanced Passive/Active Sonar
Propulsion: high-frequency electric pump-jet and solid-fuel rocket booster
Range: up to 25km
Speed: 50kn to 200kn

The White Shark & Tiger Shark torpedoes are primarily “offensive” weapons, used when hunting enemy ships & submarines.

The Bull Shark torpedo is primarily a “defensive” weapon, used to kill attacking torpedoes, but can be used offensively to kill attacking enemy ships, should the submarine be detected.

[Note: All information is partially speculative as details of all systems are highly classified.]

Offline Claymore

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2024, 03:46:16 AM »
Awesome!  :smiley:  :-*  :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2024, 06:04:01 AM »
Ayup !

Most Excellent :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2024, 08:59:19 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2024, 07:53:43 PM »
WWWOOOWWW!  :-* :-* :-* :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2024, 08:17:51 PM »
 ;D

Thank you. sir! :icon_alabanza: