Author Topic: Belcher Bits  (Read 14120 times)

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
Re: Belcher Bits
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2020, 11:53:22 AM »
The British basically concluded that ABM defences for the UK were nigh on impossible because of the physics of engaging the missiles.  While they were initially based on IR and then later active radar systems to detect and engage the incoming BMs, they still needed to be launched, reverse direction and then attack the incoming missiles.  This mean that engagements were more likely to occur over Western Europe than the UK or the North Sea and with the use of nuclear warheads, were politically unpalatable to the UK's NATO allies.  So deterrence became the name of the game.

In the US's case, they had a large country and only one, friendly country between them and the launching country.  So, they could afford to fire a missile and have it engage a ballistic missile head on, often with a nuclear warhead.   However, even there, the physics have pretty much defeated their efforts to do that.  Spartan and Sprint missiles had ridiculously short ranges, high accelerations and a nuclear warhead and they still weren't certain they could manage it.  Now the ABM system in Alaska trades distance for engagement time (by engaging the missile in mid-flight).  Even so, they have had to utilise various tricks to gain funding for it's development and test to make sure it actively engages the incoming ballistic missiles.  Whether it would work in a real life situation is another matter.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2020, 02:01:21 AM »
RCAF Argus 1/72 BD-34. This 2 sheet set provides markings for any RCAF Argus from 1959 to when they went out of service. Intended kit is the Aircraft in Miniatures Argus conversion kit.

Source: http://www.belcherbits.com/lines/decals/bd34.htm
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2020, 07:40:26 AM »
Oh, I think I need that sheet! No argus, but lots of useful markings.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2020, 12:20:10 PM »
I wish Mr. Belcher would make a set of landing gear for the Sea King HC.4 in 1:48th scale.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2020, 09:39:20 AM »
I'm putting this under Belcher Bits as Mike made the decal sheet.

Bill's Hobby Centre is my Local Hobby Store. One of the last good bricks and mortar stores.

New product roll out. Lancaster X Passenger Plane (Lancastrian) 1/72 Conversion. Base kit Airfix 1/72 Dam Busters Lancaster (old or recent issues). Resin parts, vac formed canopy, decals. $24.98 plus postage and taxes where applicable.

Available in our eBay store or message us on FB. A joint venture of The Hobby Centre, Scoobie-Doo Productions, Belcher Bits and a big thanks to Tony Stachiw. (Models by Bill "SN3" Scobie).

Can buy on FaceBook or Ebay.

Facebook

Ebay

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2020, 01:55:03 PM »
So tempting to consider applying those bits to a Shackleton.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2020, 10:02:19 PM »
Somehow you would have to modify the nose canopy, as the Shackleton is 2 feet wider than a Lancaster ----

As I found out when I built this below

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2020, 03:41:35 AM »
A carefully scuplted adapater piece would work, it would add length, unless you cut the Shackleton nose back a frame or two, but it should work.  Of course, if a unique appearance instead of a smooth one is required, you could do something like the NC-141A when testing the F-16's radar.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2020, 09:41:18 PM »
A carefully scuplted adapater piece would work,

Agreed --- there is a frame behind the nose that is close, I had cut the fuselage so it had a tab on each side which I could manipulate, putty did the rest.  Once I get my Belcher set of noses (via Carl) I'll be able to see if the same method is possible.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2020, 01:12:37 AM »
It would be cool to see one in full TCA civil livery.

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2022, 12:30:55 AM »
Two new products from Mike. Click on product name to go to his store.

Full reveal by Mike here on Youtube: https://youtu.be/MFIVDjsCdck

The silent partner is moi as I lent him a B-47 kit.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 12:33:30 AM by The Big Gimper »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2022, 03:48:49 AM »
Damn!  I was going to do that CL-52 conversion too --- I've got a base kit and the decals for it (CanMilAir) already ---- interested Carl?

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2022, 08:24:52 AM »
Damn!  I was going to do that CL-52 conversion too --- I've got a base kit and the decals for it (CanMilAir) already ---- interested Carl?

Yes I am Robert.

There was another modeler who promised the CL-52 via 3D printing but haven't see any sign of it.