Author Topic: Belcher Bits  (Read 14116 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Belcher Bits
« on: March 20, 2012, 06:40:16 AM »
Mike Belcher of Belcher Bits has a very nice selection of resin detail sets, accessories, and conversion kits available in 1/72nd and 1/48th scale. 

Mike's latest addition to his growing line of resin products is the 1/72nd scale IM-99B Bomarc Surface to Air Missile.

Click on image or html to view page

(Image source: Mike Belcher/Belcher Bits)

Just to stir things up, I wonder how a pair of the Bomarcs would look mounted on a B-52? 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
Re: Belcher Bits
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »
<...> I wonder how a pair of the Bomarcs would look mounted on a B-52?

Right! That's what!  :)
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:25:08 AM »
Hmm, the B-52 as a standoff interceptor with Bomarcs under the wings and Bendix Eagles on rotary launchers in the weapons bays?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:49:32 PM »
Hmm, the B-52 as a standoff interceptor with Bomarcs under the wings and Bendix Eagles on rotary launchers in the weapons bays?

I was thinking more like Bomarc air to surface missiles or anti-radar missiles for servicing targets that could not wait for a Hound Dog :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 04:18:24 PM »
How about the Bomarc for the B-58 pr XB-70?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 11:58:20 AM »
How about the Bomarc for the B-58 pr XB-70?
If that BOMARC kit had been priced a bit less I would have been very tempted to acquire a pair of the things but at $32.00 each that is a bit more than I am willing to pay.  :(

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I did do some business directly with Mike instead of trying to get Emil the Enabler to order the stuff for me and with the exception of waiting for the money order to arrive at Mike's address and my wait for the package to be delivered to my address the experience was not so bad.  About normal considering my previous cross border transactions to Canada and Europe. 

This time around my acquisitions from Belcher Bits consisted of the following items with links to the product page that contains instructions and good images of each item:

(BL2) 1:72nd scale RAF 2000, 4000, 8000 and 12000 lb HC Bombs
(BB9) 1:48th scale RAF 2000, 4000 lb HC Bombs
(BB10) 1:48th scale RAF 8000 and 12000 lb HC Bombs
These were also known as "Cookies" (4000 pound HC) and "Block Busters" for obvious reasons.  Some of the 2000 and 4000 pound HC bombs were filled with an incendiary material and used to mark targets during the night time bombing campaign conducted by the RAF during World War Two.  These target markers were dropped on or near the target and used to guide the bomber stream to the target.  Needless to say that for carpet bombing accuracy was not a requirement. 

(BL3) 1:72nd scale RAF Nuclear Weapons This set consists of 1X Blue Danube, 1X Yellow Sun, 1X Red Beard and two versions of the WE.177 (Kitnut617 is getting the W.E.177 bits this time around). 

(BB13) 1:48th scale Mk 28 Nuclear Bomb Set For anyone that has an interest in nuclear weapons the Mk 28 series is one of the most interesting and this set contains parts to make five versions of the Mk 28; Mk 28EX, Mk 28RE, Mk 28IN, Mk 28RI and Mk 28FI.  A must have for anyone wanting to do a Zulu Alert bird in USAF and NATO service during the cold war. 

(BB14) CF-104 Weapons Set Not sure which F-104 kit this was intended for since it was released before the Hasegawa kit was available.  Parts are included to make 1X Mk 28 nuclear bomb (Mk 28EX or Mk 28RE), 1X B43 nuclear bomb, center line pylon, wing pylons, Twin Stores Carriers, 5X BL-755 cluster bombs, fuselage mounted radar warning antennas (fore and aft locations), and 1X VICON reconnaissance camera pod. 

(BB27) 1:48th scale Matra BLG-66 Belouga Cluster Bombs Something a bit out of the ordinary for anyone wanting to model a Mirage III, V, or F.1.  Four Belouga cluster bombs in the kit.  According to the description on the Belcher Bits page the Belouga was/is used by France, India, Greece and Iraq.  I would rather have seen Mike produce a decent Durandal in 1:48th scale but that looks to be available soon with the GWH Mirage F.1 kits so problem solved. 

(BB30) 1:48th scale French AN-52 Tactical nuclear bombs Enough parts to make two complete AN-52 bomb shapes and three different stores pylons for the Mirage, Jaguar A, and Super Etendard.  Cute by nuclear bomb standards and I often wonder if the Israeli nuclear bombs were based on the AN-52. 

(BB31) 1:48th scale Modern US Nuclear bombs Includes enough parts to make a pair of B61 nuclear bomb shapes as a B61Mod 0 through B61 Mod10 or the B61 Mod 11 with the conical feature added to the tail section.  The remaining parts allow you to build 2X B83 thermonuclear bomb shapes.  Neighborhood nuclear superiority! 

(BB20) 1:48th scale Mk 24 Mine (ASW Homing Torpedo) and Sonobuoys The cover name was Mk 24 Mine but it was really an antisubmarine torpedo with acoustic homing features that allowed it to home in on the noise emanating from a submerged submarine.   The only other Mk 24 ASW homing torpedo and sonobouys that I have encountered were in the Lindberg 1:48th scale TBF/TBM Avenger.  Horrible blue plastic but there they were and no other company has ever considered or attempted to model this weapon until Mike Belcher stepped up and offered it in resin.  This very important anti-submarine weapon was instrumental in sending a number of submarines on their final dive including a Japanese submarine full of war critical supplies bound for Japan that was sunk in the Atlantic ocean.  This kit provides enough parts to build a pair of Mk 24 weapons with a choice of features including a nose cap and tail shroud to protect the weapon during the drop.  The four sonobouys look pretty much like a sonobouy from that period and are as far as I can tell the right size and shape depicted in resin as a couple of can-shaped blobs to which you should add an antenna if it is deployed on the water. 

(BB17) 1:48th scale RAF Small Bomb Containers (SBC) this set is also available in 1:72nd scale as BL5 on the Belcher Bits web page.  In American nomenclature these would be described as sub-munitions dispensers.  The RAF used these things to carry small bombs filled with explosives or incendiary materials and were often seen filling the bomb bay of many Lancasters with one 4000 pound HC "Cookie" as a standard bomb load for night time bombing missions over many German cities during World War Two.  The set consists of 12X SBC units and they are all loaded with what appears to be incendiary bombs.  All you need to do to finish these is to paint them and mount them on the RAF bomber of your choice.  I thought I might take a shot and loading some of these on something else that will remain unnamed for now. :)

(BB11) 1:48th scale RAF 1,500 lb Mine and 250 lb Depth Charges Another unique weapon set.  Between this set and the 2000 pound HC bombs you could make a couple of different mines by combining these parts.  The dimensions are the same with the only real difference being the tail sections which can be a parachute pack or just an empty section to stabilize the weapon during the drop.  The 250 pound depth charge shapes are quite featureless but will work very well for filling up the bomb bay of any RAF Coastal Command subject you happen to be working on.  The 1500 pound mine was used in large numbers to mine sea coast and inland waterways to halt maritime commerce during World War Two.  This was a very dangerous mission and many aircraft were lost on the mining missions due to the need to fly low and slow to drop the mines where they could do the most damage. 

(BB1) 1:48th scale CH-124 Sea King Wheel Sponsons (floats) and Radome.  I wanted something symmetrical for one of my Sea King kits.  I was not happy with the smoke markers and MAD rig on the Hasegawa Sea King kit so I figured why not use this set designed to convert the SH-3 to the CH-124 and not use the radome part.  Works for me. 

(BB2) 1:48th scale CH-124 Sea King Sonobuoy Launchers and CPI.  Actually sourced this from someone on ARC that was trying to get rid of it for a reasonable price.  Had no real need for anything in the set except the CPI part.  After looking at the instructions and the rest of the parts in the kit which contains several sections of different size aluminum tube, a resin jig to cut the tube and the part to hold all of the cut tube sections inside of the fuselage it looks like a lot of work to get it built and to fit it properly in the Hasegawa Sea King kit.  Certainly nothing I want to deal with and I really had no interest in anything in the set save for the CPI part. 

(BB3) 1:48th scale CH-124 Sea King Gulf War Mods.  All of the parts you need to build a CH-124 for service in the Persian Gulf conflict.  Parts included in this set represent the add-on FLIR, chaff and flare dispensers, and IR jammer, and radar warning antennas that were essential for any helicopter operating at low altitudes in a hostile and SAM/MANPAD SAM rich environment. 

(BB16) 1: 48th scale Liberator GRV Dumbo Radome and Leigh Light.  A must have for anyone wanting to do an RAF Coastal Command Liberator or in my case a what if PB4Y Liberator.  The set includes all of the parts needed for the Leigh Light and two different radomes so you can have the radar mounted in the lower gun turret position or under the nose.   

(BB7) 1:48th scale Consolidated PBY-6/OA-10 Catalina Replacement Tail.  When Monogram released their PBY-5/PBY-5A Catalina some of the "experten" were griping about the shape of the tail.  Mike Belcher offers a corrected tail for this kit as BB5 on his web page and this conversion to make a tall tail PBY-6 Catalina.  I was not too concerned with the tail issue as highlighted by the "experten" but the tall tail Catalina did appeal to me since it was the last version of the PBY made.  The conversion also addresses the tail issue of the Monogram kit but with the taller tail.  I purchased this conversion several years ago from Emil the Enabler at Skyway Models so it is not a recent acquisition. 

(BB8) Bell 412 / CH-146 Griffon conversion designed to be used with the Heller or Italeri UH-1N to create a CAF aircraft or commercial Bell Model 412.  You get all of the major parts to convert and the success of the conversion will depend on your own skills and abilities.  This is another set that was purchased at the same time as the PBY-6 conversion from Emil at Skyway Models a few years back. 

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 08:00:42 PM »
Set BB31 has piqued my interest.  I see an "instant sunshine" delivery project being added to my build queue.  Maybe for the next "End of the World" GB? Thanks for the link!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 09:05:42 PM »
Set BB31 has piqued my interest.  I see an "instant sunshine" delivery project being added to my build queue.  Maybe for the next "End of the World" GB? Thanks for the link!

John,

That set of nuclear shapes is a definite must have for anyone that enjoys modeling nuclear combat, toe to toe with the [insert foe name here] :)

The other source for B61 shapes was from Italeri in the F-117 Stealth kit (1:72nd, 1:48th, and 1:32nd scales) and the 1:72nd scale NATO weapons set.  Some folks griped about the accuracy of the shapes but for me it really did not matter as it was a nuclear weapon shape and how often does anyone offer that in any scale. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 04:21:59 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 01:41:16 AM »
Mike's a member at the local club - I hope to get some time on his lathe in 2013 to turn an Honest John. Pics will be posted here of course!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 03:55:51 AM »
Mike's a member at the local club - I hope to get some time on his lathe in 2013 to turn an Honest John. Pics will be posted here of course!

Wish Mike was my neighbor, it would certainly be fun to provide advice and share ideas with him. 

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 04:04:40 AM »

Wish Mike was my neighbor, it would certainly be fun to provide advice and share ideas with him.

Mike lives about 15 minutes away from me. Feel free to send him an email. belcherbits@gmail.com
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 11:53:33 AM »
Alright, just sent off an email, I'm ordering the BB-31 set and a set of decals (BD-19) meant for Canadian CH-147/-113s that will instead be used on my SAR V-22.

Offline Diamondback

• SC
  • Head of the crew dog fan boy club
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 12:01:28 PM »
Evil idea... given the head-start of range to target and BUFF altitude, could an air-launch Bomarc be used as a proto-ABM?

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 12:28:48 PM »

I was thinking more like Bomarc air to surface missiles or anti-radar missiles for servicing targets that could not wait for a Hound Dog :)

Like this idea as a super duper Hound Dog application. 
Also ABM as mentioned.  Deploy to areas of tension when ABM base can't be built.
Either way it will be cool model.

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 12:32:22 PM »
I've got the CH-124A conversion kit from Belcher Bits in 1/72 that's just gathering dust, if anyone's interested...
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 03:02:51 AM »
Evil idea... given the head-start of range to target and BUFF altitude, could an air-launch Bomarc be used as a proto-ABM?

I would go for a B-58 instead.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 09:25:05 AM »

I would go for a B-58 instead.
Given relative sizes, I'd be tempted to use a modified SRAM as a proto-ABM rather than adapt a Bomarc for launch from a B-58.  The second thought for a B-58-launched ABM would be a two-part pod with the bottom being a modified Skybolt for ABM purposes.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 08:06:00 AM by elmayerle »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 07:31:55 AM »
1/48 Vought Regulus I:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 07:34:46 AM »
1/48 GBU-57 Massive Ordnance Penetrator:

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2018, 01:38:55 PM »
1/48 Vought Regulus I:

Wonder if they will also do a conversion kit for a KDU drone?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 06:34:01 PM »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2020, 08:34:16 PM »
CC-130 Hercules 1/48. This large and comprehensive set provides markings for RCAF / CAF CC-130 Hercules from entry in service until present day.

http://www.belcherbits.com/images/decals/bd30inst.pdf

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2020, 05:53:38 AM »
CC-130 Hercules 1/48. This large and comprehensive set provides markings for RCAF / CAF CC-130 Hercules from entry in service until present day.
So much Canada© in such a small package. :smiley:

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2020, 07:22:38 AM »
Yes. Mike is very generous in his decal sheets. 

I will be seeing Mike next week. Does anyone want a set?

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2020, 02:54:47 AM »
No. And not SRAMs either. ICBMs get up to about _1200_ miles out at max altitude and come in on the target almost vertically. Getting closer to the launch point only gets you much, much further from the incoming warhead. The Sprint ABM system from the 60s placed batteries essentially right in front of the target cities and launched at about 85Gs to get to Mach 10 in under a second and only had a range of 25 miles. Response times are stupid short and, even today, it's almost impossible to do the guidance calculations in the time available to actually guide to the target.

The only ABM that has even a ghosts chance of working is to catch the missile in the boost phase, where it's slow, but, again, the flight path is nearly vertical and the departure accelerations are high so you have a very short window in which to hit the missile. Maybe 30 seconds. So you have to actively be relatively near the target, like inside national boundaries, at time of launch to have even a hope. Shorter ranged BMs come in slower, much slower, but still come in near vertically and have apogees in the hundreds of miles altitude. In which case to hit them still need to be essentially on top of the target as the warhead arrives and have a stupidly high acceleration. Neither Bomarc or SRAM or the BUFF fit those bills.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2020, 11:53:22 AM »
The British basically concluded that ABM defences for the UK were nigh on impossible because of the physics of engaging the missiles.  While they were initially based on IR and then later active radar systems to detect and engage the incoming BMs, they still needed to be launched, reverse direction and then attack the incoming missiles.  This mean that engagements were more likely to occur over Western Europe than the UK or the North Sea and with the use of nuclear warheads, were politically unpalatable to the UK's NATO allies.  So deterrence became the name of the game.

In the US's case, they had a large country and only one, friendly country between them and the launching country.  So, they could afford to fire a missile and have it engage a ballistic missile head on, often with a nuclear warhead.   However, even there, the physics have pretty much defeated their efforts to do that.  Spartan and Sprint missiles had ridiculously short ranges, high accelerations and a nuclear warhead and they still weren't certain they could manage it.  Now the ABM system in Alaska trades distance for engagement time (by engaging the missile in mid-flight).  Even so, they have had to utilise various tricks to gain funding for it's development and test to make sure it actively engages the incoming ballistic missiles.  Whether it would work in a real life situation is another matter.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2020, 02:01:21 AM »
RCAF Argus 1/72 BD-34. This 2 sheet set provides markings for any RCAF Argus from 1959 to when they went out of service. Intended kit is the Aircraft in Miniatures Argus conversion kit.

Source: http://www.belcherbits.com/lines/decals/bd34.htm

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2020, 07:40:26 AM »
Oh, I think I need that sheet! No argus, but lots of useful markings.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2020, 12:20:10 PM »
I wish Mr. Belcher would make a set of landing gear for the Sea King HC.4 in 1:48th scale.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2020, 09:39:20 AM »
I'm putting this under Belcher Bits as Mike made the decal sheet.

Bill's Hobby Centre is my Local Hobby Store. One of the last good bricks and mortar stores.

New product roll out. Lancaster X Passenger Plane (Lancastrian) 1/72 Conversion. Base kit Airfix 1/72 Dam Busters Lancaster (old or recent issues). Resin parts, vac formed canopy, decals. $24.98 plus postage and taxes where applicable.

Available in our eBay store or message us on FB. A joint venture of The Hobby Centre, Scoobie-Doo Productions, Belcher Bits and a big thanks to Tony Stachiw. (Models by Bill "SN3" Scobie).

Can buy on FaceBook or Ebay.

Facebook

Ebay

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2020, 01:55:03 PM »
So tempting to consider applying those bits to a Shackleton.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2020, 10:02:19 PM »
Somehow you would have to modify the nose canopy, as the Shackleton is 2 feet wider than a Lancaster ----

As I found out when I built this below

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2020, 03:41:35 AM »
A carefully scuplted adapater piece would work, it would add length, unless you cut the Shackleton nose back a frame or two, but it should work.  Of course, if a unique appearance instead of a smooth one is required, you could do something like the NC-141A when testing the F-16's radar.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2020, 09:41:18 PM »
A carefully scuplted adapater piece would work,

Agreed --- there is a frame behind the nose that is close, I had cut the fuselage so it had a tab on each side which I could manipulate, putty did the rest.  Once I get my Belcher set of noses (via Carl) I'll be able to see if the same method is possible.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2020, 01:12:37 AM »
It would be cool to see one in full TCA civil livery.

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2022, 12:30:55 AM »
Two new products from Mike. Click on product name to go to his store.

Full reveal by Mike here on Youtube: https://youtu.be/MFIVDjsCdck

The silent partner is moi as I lent him a B-47 kit.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 12:33:30 AM by The Big Gimper »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2022, 03:48:49 AM »
Damn!  I was going to do that CL-52 conversion too --- I've got a base kit and the decals for it (CanMilAir) already ---- interested Carl?

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2022, 08:24:52 AM »
Damn!  I was going to do that CL-52 conversion too --- I've got a base kit and the decals for it (CanMilAir) already ---- interested Carl?

Yes I am Robert.

There was another modeler who promised the CL-52 via 3D printing but haven't see any sign of it.