Author Topic: The War Elephant [folk art style]  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
The War Elephant [folk art style]
« on: April 10, 2023, 02:21:13 AM »
Anyone remember HG Wells' LITTLE WARS?

Little Wars
(A Game for Boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty
and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books)
With an Appendix on Kriegspiel
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/3691/3691-h/3691-h.htm

Back in the 70's, I was fascinated with his writings and where his imagination originated. On some forgotten Christmas, I got one of those RAPCO casting kits -> https://www.samstoybox.com/toys/LeadSoldierCasting.html

One of the WW2 officers (fourth from the left) was rebranded as a Zulu War era observer.

He soon got his own Gatling gun (a cast iron American Civil War 12 lber sans barrel, w/ a Gatling assembly made from dowels, nails and copper telephone wire).

Fast-forward to the 1990s, when I picked up a hand-carved elephant in South Africa.

What do you get when you combine all three elements with tongue firmly implanted in cheek? 

Inspiration!

Assume this is 54mm nominal [Apple for scale]

Somewhere in the distant past, I'm sure Britain's provided precedence.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 02:36:32 AM by Story »

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: The War Elephant [folk art style]
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 08:23:00 AM »
 :smiley: I heartily approve.  I have a Zvezda 1/72 war-elephant in rubbery plastic which would match this idea nicely.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 09:13:58 AM »
Both the elephant and the gun and figure look great! I remember a green army men machine that used a  hard, rubbery wax, but I didn't realize that lead/tin molds were available for hobbyists.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 08:28:04 PM »
Thanks, but I think they were more 'rights of passage' in the pre-liability days meant for children more than hobbyists.

Remember, kid - hot lead burns and skin grafts are painful.

Still, I think it's imperative to mark where we started with our artistic passions.