Author Topic: A4 Skyhawk Aeronavale  (Read 969 times)

Offline Wulf

• Does a lot of real world stuff..the deviant!!!
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
A4 Skyhawk Aeronavale
« on: October 07, 2022, 09:34:23 PM »
been a while since ive been here, havnt done a whiff for a very long time
another forum im on recently had a 'shelf of doom' GB,....had this Airfix 1/72 Skyhawk that never got finished cos im allergic to light grey aircraft and couldnt face the USN scheme.....,...so a whiffing we shall go :)  scheme is based on one that was given to the F8's late in their service

in the early 60s the French Navy had two brand new carriers.....the Foch and the Clemenceau.......to serve as fighters they bought 42 brand new Vought F-8 Crusaders......these proved to be unpopular, having the same incident rate that the US Navy had.....within 5 years they had lost 11 aircraft to landing accidents, on land as well as on carriers, including one that required the Foch to be docked for 6 months for repairs. They decided to replace the Crusaders with another aircraft but it was finding something suitable and within the budget ....Phantoms were too big and expensive but Sea Vixens were considered until the US Navy stepped in with an offer..........they would buy back the French Crusaders to help replace the ones they had lost and then sell new A-4 Skyhawks to the French.....this turned out to be a pretty good deal as the A-4 was cheaper to buy and operate, being smaller took up less room on deck than the F-8, and also had a secondary bomber role.......downside was it was less capable as a fighter

the Skyhawk proved popular, taking part in many operations in the coming years until both carriers were retired, indeed when the Foch was sold to Brazil they also bought all the Skyhawks the French had, which were then modernised and upgraded and would go on to serve for another 10+ years

I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: A4 Skyhawk Aeronavale
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 10:27:12 PM »
Very nice!  A what-if that makes you ask why France did not consider the Skyhawk for service with the Aeronavale.  Besides the obvious that the Étendard was designed for the same role that the Skyhawk performed. 

***edit to correct spelling error.--jjf
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 11:43:41 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 06:55:50 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 02:23:32 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 10:11:43 AM »
Sweet!  :-*

Aeronavale Scooters are a neat idea. With Agave and an Exocet on the centreline...
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 06:34:31 AM »
I like it a lot!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates