Author Topic: Hawker Havoc  (Read 5045 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Hawker Havoc
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2022, 11:09:04 PM »
I’m on vacation on a lake in Arkansas so nothing will get done until Monday or so.

Oh, how terrible for you! ::)

;D ;D ;D

Enjoy your vacation, mate! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2022, 12:47:58 AM »
Trying to make the best of the situation. You know, friends, food, boats. Things like that seem to help.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2022, 07:46:59 AM »
I’m on vacation on a lake in Arkansas so nothing will get done until Monday or so.

"The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners."

Someone had to do it! Thanks for taking one for the team Ken  ;D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Kerick

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2022, 08:15:23 AM »
Putt putt golf tomorrow!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2022, 09:56:12 AM »
Ya lernt me them rocket pods aint necessarily Russian !

Offline Kerick

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2022, 01:34:21 PM »
Drilled out the cannon ports last night. Looks much better. I extended the Sabrinas and installed chaff/flare dispensers. I needed more weight in the front end so while I had them off I filled in the hollow parts with bits of lead sliced off a fishing weight. Added some more lead just behind the cockpit so now it sits properly when I add the metal Aeroclub seat. It’s supposed to be sunny tomorrow so I will try filling in the short shot part of the canopy with UV resin. I hope it works. I used the clear PVA glue before so that’s an option.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2022, 02:15:33 PM »
Progress  :smiley:

Offline Kerick

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2022, 11:23:18 PM »
Well, I filled the short shot part of the canopy with the UV resin. It hardened in the full sunlight as planned. When I sanded it down and was ready to polish it it suddenly just popped off. So it’s onto the clear pva glue. At least I can shape that with water instead of sanding and polishing. I’m rebuilding the cockpit as the Matchbox kit had an imaginary seat and a big hole.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2022, 12:39:26 PM »
Here's the Aeroclub seat compared to the Matchbox seat.

I've boxed in the cockpit so it at least looks like a cockpit. Plus the metal seat helps keep it from being a tail sitter.
I'm going to have to bite the bullet soon and paint this contraption.  I've bought Tamiya acrylic paints, thinner and cleaner so I'm hoping this all works together properly!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 12:45:52 PM by Kerick »

Offline Kerick

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2022, 12:00:33 PM »
Painted some weapons today. Is there a good generic thinner for enamels? Some of mine are getting thick in the jar and go on a little goopy. It’s either that or I need new paints all the time. I’ve tried lacquer thinner but the paint seems to go bad soon after. Maybe mineral spirits?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2022, 10:19:13 PM »
The best option is the thinner manufactured by the brand you use, until you can work out the active ingredients in that & find cheaper alternatives.

However, some brands' thinners are quite a concoction of chemicals & are either very difficult or impossible to replicate, & you will, therefore, be stuck using them.

Mineral turps is OK for Humbrol, but I wouldn't use it in the tin. Even their brand thinners isn't great for that.

Keeping the lid & rim of the tin/jar smooth & undamaged, & clean of paint is your best starting point to prevent the paint drying out; &, when you use it, mix it in the tin/jar & transfer some to a pallet, then seal the tin/jar again while you use the paint on the pallet.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 10:26:14 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2022, 12:38:42 PM »
Good advice! Thanks. I’ve sent keeping the jar and lid clean and that does help. I tried some lacquer thinner in some modelmaster white enamel so we’ll see what happens to that. That white was definitely going “off white” anyway. As bad as the old Testors white that you had to add light blue to it to keep it from turning yellow.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2022, 10:32:53 AM »
Got the weapons looking good and added some decals.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2022, 12:19:47 PM »
A care package just arrived from our man Gondor! A vacuform canopy, a new Revell canopy (really nice) and two fuel tanks. Just what I need to finish this devil. I ended up using the vacuform canopy as I could get that sanded to the proper shape. It’s glued in place all ready and the fuel tanks are ready to paint. This is going to look so much better than the short shot Matchbox one. Thanks again Gondor you saved the day! That Revell canopy will be kept safe for future use.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2022, 01:49:46 PM »
I’ve been working on the Havoc and the Mako chopper at the same time as the paint scheme is basically the same. The Mako just got the light grey underside but the Havoc is wrap around. The Havoc has the weapons loaded but not on the Mako yet. Next for both is some clear and then decals. No pics to show as Flickr has pulled a fast one on me. They say I’ve uploaded my limit of pics and now I have to pay the “pro” rate to load any more pics. What they don’t make very clear is it’s the number of uploads they are counting, not the actual number of pics. So if I delete some pics it doesn’t matter. My wife had an account she never used so I should hack into that and use it.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2022, 09:57:52 AM »
Here's the long awaited photo dump.
Gray was applied first.

IMG_5508

Then green and weapons.

IMG_5559

IMG_5560

IMG_5561

IMG_5564

I used Tamiya acrylics in my new airbrush and thinned it with Tamiya thinner. The grey went on great but the green gave me a fit. I used the same paints at the same time on the Mako and everything was fine. I used silly putty for masking as recommended by club members on both at the same time and only the Havoc had the pigment appear to separate. Me and paint just don't get along these days.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2022, 01:39:39 PM »
very nice design :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2022, 05:39:27 PM »
Cool! 8)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2022, 01:06:25 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2022, 02:43:22 AM »
Looks good - nice loadout.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2022, 05:24:14 AM »
Thanks everyone!
I going to add a jamming pod on the last pylon. Target better be a mile off the end of the runway with all that stuff hanging on there!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2022, 06:48:25 AM »
Such a compilation of parts becoming Hawker Havoc.  F-86 wings gone straight work so well (surprise).  Leaving wing tips as is was right call.  Nice job on landing gear and loadout too.  Wing strakes add lot of character.  Would say is 1980s origin and useful years beyond.  8)

Offline Kerick

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2022, 09:13:24 PM »

Gotta blame ysi maniac. He drew the picture…..
See what you guys make me do…….
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 10:27:39 PM by Kerick »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2022, 04:15:33 PM »
Really looking the goods :smiley:

Offline Kerick

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2022, 05:36:18 AM »
Here's some pics with decals on. Still shiney but working on some flat clear.

IMG_5608

IMG_5602

IMG_5601

IMG_5600

IMG_5599

IMG_5595

Markings are completely fictitious and are from the leftovers box.