Author Topic: Supermarine Stranraer Mk.2 - A One Wing Biplane  (Read 3800 times)

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
Re: Supermarine Stranraer Mk.2 - A One Wing Biplane
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2022, 04:08:10 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2022, 07:42:41 AM »
Nicely done Robin. Your Strannie Mk.2 is a real looker  :smiley:

... Ironically, the expected rear engine overheating turned out not to be a problem...

... but the slipstream from those twin centreline radials did require the installation of goolie-heaters in the aft open gun positions  :o
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2022, 04:55:27 PM »
Really looks the business, nice one  :smiley: :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2022, 03:26:13 AM »
Thanks for the comments, Gents . . .   :-[   :D
@Frank; I wouldn't know if it was itallan or not, but I did make a thorough study of both of the books about Supermarine projects and prototypes written by Ralph Pegram . . . and yes, the rear prop is backwards, I just used the props that came with engines, and hoped that no one would notice . . .  :smiley:
@apophenia; that was one of the 'few, minor niggles'. As well as being cold and draughty, the strong slipstream interfered with gun aiming from the dorsal position, so much so, that the position was not manned unless absolutely essential, which in peacetime, meant never . . . the tail position was not as badly affected, however, so was occupied when necessary.

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2022, 06:41:33 AM »
The rear engine is a little better exposed to the slipstream than a lot of similar designs, so it might well have gotten adequate cooling. I suspect the Admiralty would have insisted on mounting the wing to the pylon rather than the hull, though - "Aerodynamic efficiency? Harumph. I said HARUMPH, Sah!" Great looking build.