Author Topic: 1/35 BR-52 - Germany's WW2 Workhorse  (Read 57953 times)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
Re: 1/35 BR-52 - Germany's WW2 Workhorse
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 06:40:23 PM »
thanks Andonio - greatly appreciated. Although I am still to weather the actual box section yet, it's a start.
I have just finished spraying the last bit of track dirt onto the chassis. I personally like the effect that has arisen from it - looks well used and very dirty, without being OOT (I hope)

the buffers have been sprayed rust, flat coated, hair-sprayed then base coated ready for chipping. Hopefully, it comes out OK. Just waiting for the paint to dry:

Thanks again and see you soon. All opinions welcomed - positive, negative or indifferent :)
MH
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:17:05 PM by Madhatter »
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 08:53:46 PM »
The chassis is beyond awesome, dude! :icon_alabanza:

The box is pretty good, too (Great colours!) but camo patterns tend to be more diagonal & with kinks or bends in the larger pattern, to disrupt the shape of the object by breaking up the vertical & horizontal lines. The splinter scheme does this to some degree but the vertical alignment is still a touch obvious. Still pretty good, though.

:)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 09:03:28 PM »
hmmm - I think I see what you mean. I'll try to angle the splinters more on the engine. Thanks for pointing that small but very important bit out to me - greatly appreciated
I was using a normal camo pattern as a base design, but didn't really think hard enough about that aspect of making a splinter scheme.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 05:11:45 AM »
Chassis looks so RW 1/1 scale.  Amazing :o

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 02:53:29 PM »
thanks for the compliment and boost to my ego there finsrin - great appreciated :)

Well, the wife and the boy have disappeared for 2 weeks now, so I'm hoping to put some serious bench time into this - provided I don't run out of steam - pardon the proverbial pun  :-[

I have finished painting the tender now after having spent some time darkening the edges of the greens and highlighting the middle sections in an attempt to give the illusion of depth. Well, that was the aim, but I am no Picasso, so I leave it to you to judge for yourselves if you think I achieved that or not.

I am actually really happy with it myself. Once it's dried more, I'll flat coat it then weather it, but not before reattaching the things I broke off! I have no excuse for my clumsiness....

Well, that's it for now, but I have made a start of the sanding inside the main engine chassis. I'm going to get started in that tonight, so until then!

Thanks for stopping in

MH

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 11:41:04 PM »
The camo, colors and shading look great.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 02:03:05 AM »
Looking good.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2014, 05:43:47 AM »
That is the best interpretation of "splinter" camouflage I have seen so far.  I hope your muse continues to guide you towards a successful completion of this project and a camouflage scheme that will make us all green with envy :) 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2014, 06:53:45 AM »
Just superb. That paint on the tender box is just fantastic. No doubts the Boiler and Cab will come out the same.

So now you have Sci Fi and Miscellaneous cornered at Model Expo.

Really looking forward to seeing this.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2014, 08:44:25 PM »
LOL - we'll wait and see there Brian ;) lot's of things might happen between now and when ever that'll be  ;D

Thanks very much guys, glad it looks the part.

Speaking of which, I've had an issue with the tender paint work after I sprayed Humbrol's Acrylic Matt Varnish over it. The top flat part has gone very faded and almost milky but not the sides?! I have no idea why it has done that, but in a positive twist to it, it has kind of added to the effect that makes it look sun faded and foot worn. With exception to some misting on the back side of the tender, I might leave it like that. Effect by fluke - my way of modelling!

I have spent most of today detailing the main chassis - adding the bolts and plates that Trumpeter missed. It took nearly an hour in total just cutting hex chips for the nut heads. I have kept a uniform measurement but placement is all done by eye - I didn't end up making a template like I have seen on other builds. It just didn't work for me.

Anyways, I'm happy with how the 2 sides have come out. They look like my reference pics so that's all that matters :)

I have also moved out of my man cave and have liberated the dining table - where I have a great view of the TV and can put on movies whilst I build. So much more room!!However, I can't get used to it, so I'll enjoy it while I can

Well, that's all for now, see you again soon

Till then

MH

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2014, 08:42:40 PM »
It was a cracker of a day here today - sun was out, the temperature was just right - so what did I do? I spent most of that day inside building. Makes no sense does it?!

So what do I have to show for my wasted day? A fair bit I think :)

I spent a fair while modifying the plate that holds the brake assembly on it's back and I am happy with how it came out. The frame is now put together and I'll spray the inside or it tomorrow.

Time for some pics I think:

Also added some oil lines (or at least that's what I believe they are) up front:

Need to go to a hobby shop on the other side of the city tomorrow to buy some more hex rod, so it's off for an hour long drive to Cheltenham in the AM. Will also pick up some more paint whilst I'm there, plus some other bits and bobs. God I hope they have the sizes I want in stock - other wise it will be an entirely wasted trip.

Till then

MH

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 09:53:48 PM »
"Liberated the dinning table" I do like that, maybe I will give it a try when our new table arrives next week and the od one is supposed to become the new out door setting under the alfresco.  Then again I did click buy now on EBAY tonight when I was told specifically not to so my acquisition mojo may be impaired for a while. :-[

I much not your work on the undercarriage is exceptional, with the grey primer it looks almost as if it is captured CAD images rather than the actual model.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2014, 11:46:23 PM »
Amazing work so far.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2014, 11:38:06 PM »
Wow!! nice detailing
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Online Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2014, 07:08:47 AM »
I am expecting a flickering LED  or two.in the firebox of the Loco. The tender is the perfect spot for the batteries.
You know you HAVE to do it  ;D ;D

great work.. I really admire folks who put on detail that will hardly be seen, it makes me feel.. well what I am lazy  :)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2014, 01:14:17 PM »
thanks guys :)
I am still in 2 minds as to whether or not to light this one up. Part of me just can't be bothered but another part knows it would look cool to have LED's on the front and have a flickering firebox and knows a way to wire it without having to hide the batteries in the tender - but again - it's a lot of work and I already have my quota if extra work to do as it is.

I haven't done much on this at all actually - I've had to do other things around the house whilst I could. Not to say I haven't done anything at all - just not worth taking pictures of.
I have also run out out hex rod, so that aspect of the detailing has ground to a halt. Fortunately, there is plenty more to do. I've sculpted my own power box which goes above the front drive wheels. You'll see what I mean later.

Thanks again guys and I'll be back later with an update

Cheers

Si

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2014, 02:56:16 PM »
Well, I have been slowly bumbling along on this build, but I haven't done as much as I would have liked - mostly through distraction. Bloody Xbox....

I have put together the boiler and am beginning the detailing stages. I have decided against using the Eduard cap covers (or what ever they're called) as I didn't really see the point of using them. I will use the locking mechanism though - it's a nice touch.

I've also begun closer inspection of the LZ parts and some things are just way over sized - or at least they appear to be. Not even sure the whistle even looks like a whistle. If it is - it's a tad big!

I'll do some pics of that stuff later when I have more to show you

In the mean time, I have all but finished the tender now - I have weathered it to show it's been put into service from an industrial area - so lots of coal dust and the under side shows dried mud and operational dirt. That part was listed very lightly upward, so it's really only highly visible when you look at it from that angle - other wise, you barely notice it - which is exactly what I was going for. I'm really happy with how it's turned out and am becoming more confident in my painting ability -which I have constantly maintained is my weakest ability.

excuse the weird white balance of the pictures - it's a cloudy day here and not conducive to photography.

there are a couple of this to fix up - mostly at the front where the frame doesn't actually meet the box section. Not sure if that's bad engineering or bad building - most likely the later I think. Anyway, it's an easy fix

Well, must be going but I'll keep chugging on and continue to wait patiently for my replacement hex rod.

Till then

MH

Online Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2014, 04:56:28 PM »

Well, must be going but I'll keep chugging on and continue to wait patiently for my replacement hex rod.

I have the Historex Hex Punch and Die set, sadly they do not make them anymore, but they are brilliant
 But BNAModels has these.
http://www.bnamodelworld.com/rp-toolz/rp-hpd
Ok expensive up front but ensures you never run out  :D

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2014, 06:15:57 PM »
yeah oddly enough I was on the verge of buying the RP Toolz punch set but went with the rod instead. Silly move - should've bought the punch set. I'm going to see if I can borrow someone at the club - if anyone has one. I'm not going to buy one now - I've already spent too much money as it is.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2014, 07:22:51 PM »
I have just seen a brand new super glue run stain on the very front of the tender  :icon_twisted:  I used some - what I thought was a drop - to secure the box to the chassis - but it ran and I didn't see it until now. Really not happy - I have no idea on how I am supposed to fix it either. - but I will
I've taken what I think are better shots, so I thought I would up date them.

I also made a lens for the light at the rear using a small cut of clear sprue, dipped in future and then glued onto a chip of white styrene giving it a better look:

Anyways, thanks for looking

MH

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2014, 01:44:51 AM »
Didn't know a railroad build could be so interesting :icon_surprised:
Is color scheme RW or your own ?

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2014, 05:04:11 PM »
Don't worry - neither did I until a couple of years ago when I saw my first one at Melbourne Expo in 2012 - despite the small fact the kit's been out since 2006! I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes. I've never held an anorak interest with trains, so maybe that's why I'm a bit late to the party with my notebook  ;D

Yes, the paint scheme is one of my own design. I have a habit of disobeying a manufacturer's painting instructions if I don't like what the manufacturer gave me and then I do my own thing. Wait - that's most of us here at this site  :P I'm not alone....

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2014, 08:09:17 PM »
As expected, this build is moving along at a glacial pace. I am finding it hard to keep up my concentration and will power on this - it's sucking the modelling mojo from me. I knew when I started this, it would be a massive under taking, but I didn't really grasp exactly how much work was needed.

Oh well, I can't say I wasn't warned by the many various threads I have seen of this. I will see it through to the end - I'm just having a bitch about it.

As for progress, well, it's coming along slowly. I am still waiting for the hex rod to turn up, but Ii have no idea when that'll be, and I really want to keep on with the frame.

So instead, I have turned my attention to the boiler. It's all put together as such - minus a few things, but they'll come later. I'm working on the small things at present - mostly the sand line taps. My reference pics show wires going from the front round the sides to the back. These taps are very small, but it's do-able. I still have to attach the tap handles, but again, that's a thing to add once I have these wires sorted out. I'm also not sure how I am going to attach those vinyl lines to the actual taps, so I have drilled out the bottoms and will insert small lengths of wire into the tops of the lines in a hope to be able to attach them that way. We'll see how that works out later!!

OK, pic time:

First up, the sand taps:

And some of the boiler work. As you can see, I've added the PE parts and the resin safety valves but not a lot else. Sorry about that.... :-[

if it looks like a train and sounds like a train - then it's a train:

I am not going to use the whistle provided in the LZ set as it is way over scaled for this kit and doesn't even look like the whistle of a BR52! Speaking of which, I am really not sure about quite a bit of the stuff provided - not only does some of it seem very over sized but some of it seems incomplete or the wrong way around. The rest of it is fine and useable, but a fair bit of it isn't. Such is life.

Anyway, I will try to make the next update more interesting. It's the small things that really consume your time.

Thanks for stopping in

MH

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2014, 08:35:16 PM »
The real test..... Does it smell like a train? ???

;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2014, 08:46:10 PM »
hahahaha! If it's anything like a Melbourne train then I hope not!  ;D