Author Topic: 1/35 BR-52 - Germany's WW2 Workhorse  (Read 58306 times)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
Re: 1/35 BR-52 - Germany's WW2 Workhorse
« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2014, 08:02:32 PM »
Yes, I suppose I should finish the Galactica, but my heart is just not in it anymore, so it'll most likely continue to sit in the drawer waiting to see daylight again. I know one day I will pick it up again, but I have other projects I really want to do first.
Hehehe, I think that goes for most modellers  ;D
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2014, 07:05:48 AM »
Beautiful, simply beautiful. Wow...  :)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2014, 10:08:13 AM »
If you need a railroad related structure for your project there is a an item from Hansa Systems U.S.A. that might work for your project.  It is described as a Rail Road Tower/Platform but it looks like it would perform the function of switchyard control.  Scroll down the page almost to the bottom and you will find this image with the price and description:

"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2014, 01:07:36 PM »
You'd need some detail of the consoles of switch controls inside, but that's do-able.  It might also make a good observation point for the gun battery commander.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2014, 04:50:06 PM »
Hmmm, that is a nice structure alright. Not badly priced either. At first, when I looked on their site, I thought they were selling some kind of Lego rip off, until I read it properly. They have some good stuff  for scratch building.
I was planning on doing a forest dio with no buildings though, but after so e research I found that the BR52 wasn't used to position the K5. But - there is no literature saying it wasn't used to transport the rail gun to its firing position. The diesels were used to pull it in and out of the tunnels as they had instant power either direction, where as the 52 wasn't practical for that. I'm still going to have it towing the gun through the forest though - regardless if it's historically not accurate. But then, neither is the paint scheme I have slapped on it :)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2014, 02:37:36 AM »
Hmmm, that is a nice structure alright. Not badly priced either. At first, when I looked on their site, I thought they were selling some kind of Lego rip off, until I read it properly. They have some good stuff  for scratch building.
Alvis3.1 shared that Hansa Systems link with me the other day and my first impression just like you was that it was some kind of LEGO thing but as I scrolled down and saw all of the other items such as the cobblestones and then the building models I realized it was a resource for some really good building projects if you are inclined towards that kind of work. 

I was planning on doing a forest dio with no buildings though, but after so e research I found that the BR52 wasn't used to position the K5. But - there is no literature saying it wasn't used to transport the rail gun to its firing position. The diesels were used to pull it in and out of the tunnels as they had instant power either direction, where as the 52 wasn't practical for that. I'm still going to have it towing the gun through the forest though - regardless if it's historically not accurate. But then, neither is the paint scheme I have slapped on it :)

As for the BR-52 not pulling the heavy railway guns I find that a bit odd as it would make much more sense to have the BR-52 pulling the entire K5 train consisting of the various wagons and cars that supported the gun.  Moving the K5 in and out of position would be the job for the diesel locomotives but not for a long distance movement.  Not that it is going to matter for accuracy as long as you are happy with the results that is all that matters.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 02:48:36 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #131 on: November 02, 2014, 07:22:48 AM »
Well, as I said, I am sure it was used to transport the railgun from place to place, and as you mentioned, along with all of its baggage. As cool as that would be (to have an entire train as a dio) unless I build a 1/1 warehouse I would have no room for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #132 on: November 02, 2014, 08:42:59 AM »
As cool as that would be (to have an entire train as a dio) unless I build a 1/1 warehouse I would have no room for it.

Well, get cracking then, lad! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2014, 09:22:20 PM »
I so wish I could Wombat - I so wish I could. I can only just build a Possum box so a warehouse is way out of my league :D

Well, things are now drawing to a close! At long last. I only have a few more things to attach and the engine is pretty much done - or at least construction will be. I will spend another few days weathering it so it's all uniform, but I hope to get the rest of it done tomorrow - or as much as I can.

The drive linkages were very fiddly to say the least but now that it's all together, it looks good. Even the bottom of it looks cool. I haven't taken any pics of that part yet -but I will.

Here's where I am up to at the moment:

The light green is really showing as prominent - but in the plastic, it's not as bright. It's only because I am using a high F stop and long exposure tie that it looks like that.

So there you have it - almost done! I bought a 1.8m length of timber today to get ready to start laying down some track and ground work. I've ever built a diorama before, so this (like a steam engine) will be a learning curve for me.

I'm just hoping that my shelf will be long enough. If not, then I may have to rethink building the K5 just yet and will have to make do with the 52. But I really do want to build the railroad gun

Anyway - it's almost half past midnight here and I am shattered, so I am off to bed, but I'll continue with this in the morning and start adding the final bits and bobs

As always, comments and constructive critique are always welcome

Bye for now
Si

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
Damn, that looks good.  'Tis a beautiful piece of work.

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2014, 09:34:16 PM »
Very, very impressive.  :)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2014, 02:21:24 PM »
thanks guys :)

98% finished now. Just need to add 2 or 3 things, then its time to build the flack gnus. I did some measuring last night and I do not have enough space to have this and the K5 in a row, so will have to rethink my dio to have them side by side. Not sure how I'll present it.

Please excuse the bad white balancing - I haven't got the energy to colour correct them all. I'll fix them over the next few days when I get a few free minutes to do it

Well, that's probably it now. The next batch of shots will most likely be the start of the flack guns

Till then

MH

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2014, 03:01:40 PM »
I did some measuring last night and I do not have enough space to have this and the K5 in a row, so will have to rethink my dio to have them side by side. Not sure how I'll present it.
What about some parallel tracks?  Have the K5 on one set and the BR-52 along side of it with the remaining wagons that you plan to include with it.  This would depict the K5 prior to becoming part of the train or just after the locomotive released it to perform the fire missions on a side track.  Putting the subjects side by side will allow you to get it all into a smaller display area.  Most rail lines have two sets of tracks as a minimum to allow traffic in both directions. 

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2014, 03:18:02 PM »
that's most likely what I'll do.  Will have to think about how I'm going to lay it out  It's a shame you can't get a "switch track" piece in 32nd scale.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2014, 08:29:38 AM »
Well, I hope you don't mind my saying this but that's utter ... brilliance! :D

Put the right backdrop behind it & people are going to have difficulty working out if it's real or not! :-*

Yeah, the double tracks is the (only?) way to go, & it gives you the opportunity to improve your figure frankenwhiffing & painting skills by being tailor made to have the engine driver & the gunnery officer conferring track-side while the crews watch on.

8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2014, 10:27:31 AM »
I like the idea of the gunnery officer and the driver conferring - just need to find the right kinds of figures. Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes good german engineering and gunnery figures?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2014, 11:02:21 AM »
I like the idea of the gunnery officer and the driver conferring - just need to find the right kinds of figures. Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes good german engineering and gunnery figures?
I think Trumpeter has something that might pass for that but quality and detail is a bit of a problem.  If you need figures in WW2 German uniforms for raw materials I can probably hook you up with a few from a variety of manufacturers.  If interested send me a PM with your address details and we can determine if it is cost effective to do so. 

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2014, 02:00:51 PM »
MH, I haven't been able to find many engineer type figures but I did find these 2 sets from Preiser in 1/32nd, they may need a little work to look "just right" but I found the 1/72nd figures I've used in the past to be quite easy to work with, although hard to correct mistakes on;

http://www.preiser-figuren.de/Preiser-1:32-1-32-Gleisbauarbeiter-USA-Preiser-63077-,art-18097

http://www.preiser-figuren.de/Preiser-1:32--,art-30890

Alternatively, I'm pretty sure there are sufficiently frankenwhiffable German mechanic type figures in 1/35th to play with. ;)

Edit: Like these guys;

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/aires/air-f3009

... Speaking of 1/35th; for the Wehrmacht artillery officer a 1/35th figure should do - picking one that is right for you could be the problem! :-\

Edit: For example;

This guy;

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/alpine-miniatures/alp-35054

Or one of these guys:

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/dragon/dr-6213

Or tubby on the left;

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/dragon/dr-6702

With the 1/35th figures you can either frankenwhif them slightly taller or you can just use them as they are, as they fall within normal human height variations for 1/32nd.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 02:59:29 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2014, 04:52:26 PM »
There's some good ones in amongst that selection alright. I like the commander fella who looks like he's leaning on the barrier. I just wish my figure painting skills were on par with my mechanical ones.
I may even outsource my figures to someone. I really suck that badly.....
Might need to practice on some figures I have lying around first before I spend money on these figures.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #144 on: November 06, 2014, 07:32:52 PM »
Umm.. just wow !
Terrific work Simon.. just magic.
In all honesty figures should not be considered a bugbear.
I have picked up a pretty nice technique for reasonable figures that is 3 steps, using Games Workshop washes over a white undercoat.
This figure on the Sexton I have just about completed is done pretty much all using Games Workshop washes over a base coats.

I will try and do a SBS tomorrow night if I you are interested

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2014, 04:22:58 AM »
Thanks Brian  ;)
I'm not sure what an SBS is though. I'm guessing a how to? If so, then yes I'm interested. Anything that can help me improve is a good thing and I'm all for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2014, 05:12:57 AM »
Thanks Brian  ;)
I'm not sure what an SBS is though. I'm guessing a how to? If so, then yes I'm interested. Anything that can help me improve is a good thing and I'm all for it.

SBS = Step By Step :)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2014, 08:28:07 AM »
 :-[
acronyms are past me sometimes

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2014, 06:48:51 PM »
Did a basic figures Step by step here
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4889.0

BT

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2014, 07:57:38 AM »
well, it's pretty much done now. Just need to finish off painting the smoke deflectors and then the engine is being classed as done. I'll do a full picture set once the Flak gun is finished and placed on the tender

I ended up making my own bulbs that go under the walk way as the kit ones just didn't look right. So I held the end of a bit of clear parts frame to a lighter and gently mushroomed the ends. They came out crystal clear and infinitely better than the ones on before. Painted in clear orange, they look just right - well, to me they do.

I also put the decals on. My first ever experience with Archer Dry Decals isn't a good one - despite following their instructions to a tee. In a weir way - the Swaz Sticker was the only part from both transfers to actually come off the backing paper! The eagle was a complete waste of time. So I used both the kit and the Archer decals. I have also tried to give the impression that the rego plates are sitting at a bit of height like the real ones. I probably should have just placed the decals on a strip of styrene to do that - but it wasn't until after I'd placed them did I realise they were actually a raised panel. Anyway, it looks OK to me.

And lastly - one thing I truly love is the taped up pipe up near the drivers cab. I don't know why - but it's one of my favorite parts. Go figure...

Anyway, last set of pics before I do a final set with everything on

As always - thanks for stopping by and having a look
Si