Author Topic: 1/35 BR-52 - Germany's WW2 Workhorse  (Read 57611 times)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
1/35 BR-52 - Germany's WW2 Workhorse
« on: April 04, 2014, 05:09:56 PM »
Greeting guys (and girls)

Well, the carrier is done and ready to photograph this weekend. But in the mean time I have made a start on my newest and most likely longest term project: The rather large and work intense 1/35 BR-52 Steam loco from Trumpeter  :o - Yes I know - a steam engine! WTF?!?!?

However, I have been itching like a rash to start this kit after seeing Mic Bradshaw's one at Melbourne Expo in 2012.  I have stalled starting this for quite a while now as I have always been a bit nervous because of all the reviews and other build logs I have read about this kit indicated exactly how much work is really needed to make this look awesome and accurate. 
Now, I am not a rivet counter by any stretch - I like to build kits for me and my tastes, but on this occasion, I want to at least have an accurate depiction of an actual real life subject. This means I will have to do away with my normal style of detailing and try it differently. It'll be a challenge alright, but I think I'll manage. At the very least, I'll give it a good honest go.

But it will have a not-proven-to-exist-and-not-proven-to-not-exist paint job.....  a very long winded way of saying a WIF job. I'm thinking maybe a Forest Splinter type scheme.
Well, there were over 6000 of these made - so who knows what happened to ALL of them?? And maybe somewhere at some point back in time, an 'out-there' German thought he'd experiment with different types of camo? I thought like the grey and yellow scheme that's on the box, but not - more 3 colored and broader splinters might look OK.
I'm also thinking a Frankenstein kind of look as well - cobbled up bits and bobs from other engines to make this one go again. It's as about as WIF as I intend to go though

To help me achieve this, I  have bought the following bits and bobs:

LZ Models Resin AM set

Armour35's 1/35 scaled coal (yes, you can actually buy scaled coal!  :-\ )

Eduard "Big Ed" PE set

3x 1mm GOW bulbs (in case I  feel the need to light something)

1MM Styrene Hex Rods

I also had my mate cast a number of frames of WAVE's mixed sized nuts and bolts that I had left over from using them on the Venator as Turbo Cannon muzzles. Very handy things these nuts....

A large range of various sized lead wires for extra detailing (which I  intend to do a lot of - willingly or necessarily)

And finally, I bought a set of 4 RB Models Metal buffers for the just engine - not the tender as well. Or maybe I'll use one set one the front of the engine and the rear set on the tender - just the exposed ones. The kits ones will do fine for the join between the engine and tender.

So armed with my small selection of AM parts and large amount of reference materials, I have made a start!
I have gone a bit weird and have actually started making the tender first. I did this for a couple of reasons - well, mostly one: practice.....practicing weathering using pigments and paints, and using PE parts for the Engine.

I have never used pigments before and I have extremely limited experience of PE sets. So instead of screwing up the main engine set and kit itself first, I thought I would start with something that no one really looks at that closely and something that is replaceable if an absolute dog's dinner is made of the it (the CMK Resin tender is available as an option if things go horribly wrong - excellent quality but VERY pricey - like $200.00AU pricey  :o)

First pics - the extras!:

the WAVE frames I was talking about earlier:

There is the other stuff, but I haven't photographed them.

And the following pics pretty much constitute all I have done so far - which is not a lot:

Finally, the following pics are the result of my very first time using not only pigments, but also the "hairspray" chipping technique . I've always wanted to give it a bash, so this was the perfect subject to try it on.
I have tried to make it look rusted and well worn. The way I figure it, these trains were often painted on the outside, but not so much on the inside. In fact, probably never. So it (the inside) is going to see a lot more damage from water, track crap and other such variables which are often covered up or treated quickly on the outside. I hope that made sense....

I am seeking your honest feedback here. If it looks really obviously wrong for what ever reason, tell me now so I can repaint it before it's too late, or where it could be done better/differently.

the photos really make some of the rust seem overly bright, but in natural light, they actually blend in quite well and will blend in more once I spray a light mist of earthen color from underneath to give it a more used look

Let me know what you honestly think - don't be shy - I have pretty thick skin and I have man sized tissues if I need to cry.... ;D

Till next time!

MH
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: 1/35 BR-52 - Germany's WW2 Workhorse
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 03:04:27 AM »
Different.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 11:05:14 AM »
I hope so - otherwise this'll be just another plain boring old build..   :)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 07:15:52 PM »
Well.. this should be good.
Heaps of bits.. a big model and resin goodies.

Go for it !!!!

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 02:31:07 PM »
 :)

Looking forward to this

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 07:43:09 PM »
Thanks guys - hopefully I won't disappoint

Minimal update tonight - I have spent most of my time finishing the Battle Carrier

The tender chassis is built and I am currently waiting for the base shade of rust to dry on the outside. I won't go as crazy here because from what I've seen of active 52's, they were kept up relatively well. I will do a few old scratched here and there - mostly near the top and a few around the axle housings.

Like I said - minimal update :)

On a side note - I was a bit naughty today and bought the Trumpeter K5 Rail Gun to go with this. I am also looking at a couple of the LZ flatbed cars to - although they are a bit pricey - but seemingly worth it. Maybe one day - if my wallet doesn't kill me in my sleep...

Mind you - I have absolutely no idea where I would display both kits! I  think the K5 will sit in the pile for a while until I move into a warehouse..  ;D

Has anyone got any references what so ever on the braking system of the tender? I have spent at least 2 hours straight on the net looking for pics or even a diagram, but struck out completely. If I had any hair, I would pull it out.. It's enough to make a man go bald! Any help would be greatly appreciated - both from me and my hair

Cheers

MH

Oh yeah - before I forget, what kind of guns did they place on the back of the tender?

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 05:07:15 AM »
That looks like it took some real patience and skill and I tip my hat to you sir!

Brian da Basher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 05:23:00 AM »
I have man sized tissues if I need to cry.... ;D
Real men use onions to cry ;)

Really impressive work so far on your BR-52.  As much as I like trains I have never been tempted by the siren call to build a locomotive or a complete train in any scale as it was always for me at least a logistics challenge on trying to keep it in perspective and manageable.  Before you know it, you have a complete marshalling yard plus a roundhouse and turntable and no where to put it :)

When you finish this project have you considered incorporating a nuclear reactor for your next steam powered locomotive.  No need for coal, just a lot of water and a radiation suit :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 02:56:32 PM »
Lol, can't say that I had until now. Come to think of it, you could modify the chemical plant kit from Pegasus into a kind of steam punk like reactor. It would make for an interesting project for sure. Mind you, after this build, I do t think I'd do another loco - this one will do me just fine I think.
I bought the paint for the camo today, so I now just need to design the pattern for it. I have a fair idea but am torn between a splinter style one or a regular one that requires a blue tac sausage.
I've chosen colours that the Germans used during WW2 to at least make it look authentic for the period.
Opinions are welcome!

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 01:09:27 PM »
Gidday folks - it's a glorious Monday here in Melbourne today – perfect for modelling and I'm feeling pretty darned good!
Which is surprising given how this friggin tender is giving me the irks!
I have base painted the chassis now and am beginning the weathering process. I don't want to go overboard with it. I want it to look like it's had a relatively new coat of paint maybe a year old or so. The Germans used pretty crap paint during WW2 and it faded pretty quickly, so that's how I'll TRY to replicate it.
Almost all the external details are now on. Eduard give you a rear cover but it's too short in terms of breadth, and I have no idea on how I'll fix it - if indeed I do. I kinda like the idea that it was a quick replacement for a damaged part and not quite right. I'm pretty sure a lot of that happened during the war.
Eduard also short changes you with the electrical boxes that go with the lights. I was one short, so I had to rip the one off the back of the coal box and use that one, whilst replacing that one with a scratched one for the coal box.
So, time for some pics. First up, the almost finished chassis:
Up front, you can see I've used some copper wire to replicate a hose that goes into the box on the side:

The rear guards are now in place:

the detailing on the rear of the tender is now done:

and how it looks at the moment:

As you can see, there is still a looooong way to go yet!

I'm still torn on what kind of camo to do for it - splinter or normal. I think a splinter camo would certainly look cool, but so would a normal style camo. Ah, decisions decisions... the joys of modelling and modellers block!
The grey is actually darker that what the pics show you. It just goes to show that you can have the fanciest camera in the world, but it's only as good as it's user!
Well, must go and do some modelling instead of typing. Will update again soon

Till then
MH

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 08:12:21 PM »
quick question: do you think a tri-colour 3 dimensional splinter scheme would look out of place on this engine? Especially given it is a WW2 loco. I  have a scheme in mind but am a bit concerned it maybe to futuristic for it's time.

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 09:37:03 PM »
Hi... I really appreciate your work!
The loco that you're working on is coming out _very_ well!!!

quick question: do you think a tri-colour 3 dimensional splinter scheme would look out of place on this engine? Especially given it is a WW2 loco. I  have a scheme in mind but am a bit concerned it maybe to futuristic for it's time.

Could you post some example ?

Ciao

Antonio

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 06:39:26 AM »
upon reflection, it isn't really 3D but more 2 if I include harsh shadows. This is kind of what I had in mind. Please forgive my child like drawings - I am no Picasso

or

As I said - I am a terrible drawer - I think any 5 year old can do better  :-[

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 08:13:13 AM »
Your rust effects are great! The leaf springs are just perfect.
As for camo - take a picture of the primered train (just in gray) then import into Photoshop/Gimp (or even Paint) and add a layer for just the camo pattern. You can experiment with various colors and patterns without affecting the original model or base image. You won't be able to match the colors on screen with real paint colors, but it should be enough to give you an idea. If you adjust the transparency of the camo layer to 50% or so, you'll be able to see the train through the layer, giving it some realism.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 09:13:58 AM »
Your rust effects are great! The leaf springs are just perfect.

I've got to agree with Frank! The leaf springs certainly look like the real deal.

Your drawings really helped me see the camo concept better. Should look an absolute winner!

Brian da Basher

Offline andonio64

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 01:09:42 PM »
I think - as Frank3k said - your drawings are good enough to give the idea, and personally I like them.
I am not a WW2 expert but I have seen such a camo on several planes (large bombers and floatplanes but also on some fighters) so it would be something acceptable.
On the other hand if this is a fantasy machine don't worry too much.
I would probably stich to the real colors used for the airplane camo but use the drawings you did which appear more zig-zagging than the usual angular camo seen on the planes...

Just my humble opinion!

Have fun!

Antonio

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »
Thanks Antonio. You've made me feel more confident in my scheme.

Well, the chassis is all but finished. I am just waiting on my RB Model buffers to arrive in the mail (hopefully tomorrow or Thursday) and I also need to paint the dangly things on the rear bumper (my knowledge of correct terminology is bloody terrible - sorry).

I did take some pics of the chassis but I can't seem to get the white balance right - the pics make it look washed out. In reality the weathering is subtle and not so obvious.

On a side note, next week, the wife goes away for 2 whole weeks - so that's some serious bench time right there! I so can't wait!! I reckon I'll be able to get the main frame built and detailed in that time and might even make a start on the boiler tonight.

On that subject, I am not going to remove the molded on pipes - I think they look just fine and can see no benefit in replacing them with brass ones.

I'm going to have to go through the Eduard instructions (again - for the 53rd time) now and see what's to be added and so on.

If I get enough painting done tonight, I'll post some pics, but I think it may have to wait till next time.

Thanks for tuning in

MH

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 07:01:35 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen weathered, rusted metal done better!

Truly incredible work!

Brian da Basher

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 09:05:58 AM »
 :-[ thanks Brian - it's my very first attempt ever at doing this kind of rusting effect, so that's a really nice compliment

I'll update this thread again soon

MH

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 10:09:34 AM »
Yes nicely done

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 11:43:46 AM »
1st time? :icon_surprised:

Gawd help us when you become experienced at it! :o

That is pretty much the closest I have seen to what a real rail carriage actually looks like. :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 05:10:09 PM »
 :-[ thanks guys!

I thought I would quickly show just how good these RB Buffers really are. They are just awesome and I can't believe I'm excited about rail engine buffers - who knew! They do say small things please small minds though....

what you get in each set:

These are the globe buffers:

and the Flat ones:

All together now....:

Luckily I have managed to file off the kit molds with out damaging too much of the surrounding paint, so it won't have to be a major respray. If it had been a major job, I may not have been so happy with these buffers..  :P

I also realised I bought too many of them - I only needed one set of each - not 2. Opps.... Still, it's not actually all that bad because I'll add the other set to the K5 when I eventually get to it. One day this millennium !

Till next time

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 11:17:52 PM »
Nice details such as those buffers are just the thing to bring out the highlights of such a complicated model with so many of the other details hidden away under other assemblies. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 10:58:50 AM »
Thanks Jeffrey - I agree completely! That's also why I am looking at buying the LZ compressor to go with it - especially after looking at the kit provided one which is sadly lacking in correct detail. If it's not one thing it's another!.....

Well, I have finished the base painting of the tender - but before I begin the weathering process, I want your opinion. Is this scheme OK or very wrong? I would like to know now before I invest any more time in to this scheme because if it is wrong, then I can strip it back and respray it boring grey or black. I have yet to fade the green out more, but that'll be done soon.
Does this look WW2-ish or not at all?

Thanks for your opinions guys

MH

Offline andonio64

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 04:34:54 PM »
Camo + wheathering 1st class A++
Fantastic work