Author Topic: Some Frankenstein efforts from the days of olden...  (Read 4561 times)

Some Frankenstein efforts from the days of olden...
« on: September 24, 2016, 10:52:32 PM »
So...
I finally racked up the courage to publicly shame myself with some of the works I did from when I was still building kits. Mind you, we're talking about at least 7/8 years ago.
These were mostly effort made to recover crashed/smashed/ruined beyond repair models due to relocations or other handling accidents, so they're far from good...rather they are really, really quite ugly, but still...

This was supposed to be a F-22 derivative, much like the Japanese F-2 is directly derived from the F-16. It's in Japanese markings, and supposedly depicts a "special color" variant, which sports a "Japan Ichiban" logogram. It was a F-22 mixed with the tails from a MiG-25 or Su-27:

This one here...well, supposesly depicts a high speed research aircraft. Its DNA is made up of a F-104, a D-21 drone, several parts from a F-16 and putty. Never got around to finish it, though:

The first two monsters together:

This is a mix of what remained from a YF-23 and a SR-71. Tons of putty and sanding were required...I think it's aesthetically pleasing, but once more, never got around to finish it either:

Final monster: this was supposed to be a DIY Sukhoi Shkval (inspired by the following artwork cover https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/8d/8f/39/8d8f399e93470b4f638f3563f1ca6d52.jpg). The donors were a MiG-25 and a Su-27, while the decals came from a Lavochkin La-7 instead:

Well, that's enough embarassment for today :-[

Think it's better if I'll stick to digital efforts rather than scale models ;D

Cheers!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Some Frankenstein efforts from the days of olden...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 11:26:36 PM »
Dunno what you're embarrassed about!? ???

I, personally, wish you'd finished (or would finish, if you still have them) the 2 incomplete builds, they look interesting, & the other 2 builds are great! Especially the Sukhoi! :) 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 03:07:39 AM »
Dunno what you're embarrassed about!? ???
Exactly my thought...all look great.
Think it's better if I'll stick to digital efforts rather than scale models ;D
There are times when I ask myself same question,models or profiles?Definitely both !

Cheers
Alex

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 07:45:54 AM »
Canard F-22 looks nice.
The high-speed research aircraft is a very innovative combination of styles. Certainly not something one sees everyday even here, you should be proud of it!
YF-23/SR-71 mashup looks smart and actually resembles very much some of the FB-23 studies done after Lockheed's entry won the ATF competition after moving the goalposts (which happened again in the JSF competition).
Sukhoi Skhval is also a good-looking bird too and certainly off the beaten path.

If you complete (or even half-complete!) a model and post pictures, it is never a shame. A model wants to be built and you've risen to the challenge. There's always someone better than you and someone worse than you, the most important thing - the only thing - is that you have fun with the hobby. There are no Joyless Modeling Nazis here complaining that the rivets on a 1:144 model are round when they should be hexagonally shaped and how it ruins the whole model.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 08:39:07 AM »
You have some very interesting and unique concepts, that YF23SR71 hybrid is especially nice! Can't wait to see it in full war paint!

Brian da Basher

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 01:07:45 PM »
Many beauties :-* there, congratulations! ;)

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 07:43:37 PM »

beautiful ideas!

and the builds are giving them shape very nicely : it is good to see them in 3D.
Even if some other modellers have more refined skills for smooth detail, it still is a good idea to go at it, first because it is fun, and second because other viewers can like to see the result of such experimentations  ;)

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 10:34:58 PM »
All very very nice. Please have a go at finishing them, they are and will be great.
Loving most the (23+71 =) SRF 94, Blackbird replacement. Superb seems to be your only standard. :D
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 09:47:48 PM »
You're all way too kind :-[

Thanks for the comments gentlemen!!

Offline uncle les

• Aussie Whiffer Extraordinaire!
  • The man behind the models of the same name...
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 08:45:42 AM »
It's all good !  :)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 08:57:52 AM »
All very very nice. Please have a go at finishing them, they are and will be great.
Loving most the (23+71 =) SRF 94, Blackbird replacement. Superb seems to be your only standard. :D

Yes, agree with every word.
Creative imagineering.  Keep it fun, finish to your comfort level.  We are not all masters at detail and weathering (I am not).
Wish I had thought of SRF-94 configuration. :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 09:00:44 AM by finsrin »