Author Topic: Takom 1/35 G6 Rhino What If  (Read 5712 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Takom 1/35 G6 Rhino What If
« on: November 19, 2020, 04:03:21 AM »
Working on yet another what if by kit bashing the Takom 1/35 G6 Rhino and Trumpeter 1/35 JGSDF Type 87 AW. I will be using the complete lower hull of the G6 and placing the Type 87 AW turret on the G6 hull.

South Africa had toyed with the idea of putting the Marksman turret on the G6 but I am not a big fan of the Markman turret design. I don't like the way the guns sit so far forward on the turret.

The JGSDF Type 87 AW turret looks a lot better to me.

Here are the kit boxes.

I filled in the G6 turret ring with plastic card so the Type 87 AW turret fit snugly.

This is the Trumpeter Type 87 AW turret.

Test fitting the turret to the upper hull of the G6.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 04:08:53 AM by Ramba »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Takom 1/35 G6 Rhino What If
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 11:05:54 AM »
Very cool concept! There's something otherworldly about the G6 Rhino.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 12:07:05 PM »
The Rhino does look like it belongs in Sci-Fi. The JGSDF turret looks far better, too.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 09:22:58 PM »
The Type 87 turret is only going to enhance the sci-fi look. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 09:24:33 PM »
Very cool. That G6 Rhino has all sorts of WhIf potential.  Looking forward to updates.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 11:49:30 PM »
Thanks everyone! Yes, the G6 Rhino already has that sci fi look to it and that's why I chose it. Adding the AW turret really adds to the look.

So far I only taped the hull together.

I did test fit the Tamiya Flakpanzer Gepard and Panda Tunguska turrets just for giggles. The Flakpanzer Gepard turret doesn't look that good. The Tunguska turret actually fit really well, it snapped right into the original turret ring. It was like it was made specifically for it. Unfortunately I won't be using the Tunguska turret so I needed to fill in the G6 turret ring to fit the JGSDF Type 87 AW turret. Anyway, here are the other two I test fitted but won't be using. Next update I will show the JGSDF Type 87 AW turret test fitted.

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 12:17:53 AM »
The Type 87 turret is only going to enhance the sci-fi look. ;)

Yes, indeed, both of those turrets would make great torsos for 'BattleTech' Mechs . . .

[/size]
Very cool concept! There's something otherworldly about the G6 Rhino.

Yep!, shame that there doesn't seem to be one available in Braille Scale . . .   :(
As an aside, a couple of years ago, I remember seeing a South African company selling a range of resin kits of SADF and Rhodesian Afv and military vehicle kits. At the time, I was skint, of course, now I have some money, they seem to have disappeared . . .

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 02:15:20 AM »
Liking this idea :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Zaskar24

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 08:56:35 AM »
http://www.baxmod.co.za/index.php/1-35-models Baxmod is still in business and selling 35th scale of some good stuff.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 01:54:54 PM »
Liking the idea a lot.

I still have a the rather ordinary Aerographix version of this is a state of going nowhere, so what you do with this may kick may project along a bit along maybe

Offline Ramba

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 09:20:59 PM »
Thanks again everyone!

Here is the JGSDF Type 87 AW turret test fitted. I will probably work on putting the turret together this weekend.

Size comparison with a Tamiya 1/35 M1025 HMMWV.

Size comparison with a 1/35 figure.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 11:56:52 PM »
Big mother, innit! :icon_surprised:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 12:26:21 AM »
Big mother, innit! :icon_surprised:

It is quite large. I compared it next to the Bandai M61A5 and they are very close in body length with the G6 only 10mm longer but the M61A5 is longer overall counting the main guns. The M61A5 is 13 inches counting the main guns and the G6 is 10.5 inches overall.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 02:21:16 AM by Ramba »

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 01:09:25 AM »
I was going to put an ADATS turret on mine, but I think the Type-87 is the way to go!

Seeing the G6 without wheels.. I've just found the cockpit and fuselage of my next dropship.

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 01:32:02 AM »
http://www.baxmod.co.za/index.php/1-35-models Baxmod is still in business and selling 35th scale of some good stuff.

Thanks for that, but I'm strange and only build in the One True Scale . . .   ;D

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Ramba

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 01:33:04 AM »
I was going to put an ADATS turret on mine, but I think the Type-87 is the way to go!

Seeing the G6 without wheels.. I've just found the cockpit and fuselage of my next dropship.

I would love to see you put the ADATS on the G6 Rhino. That would look awesome.

I have always wanted to get the Legend Productions ADATS but way out of my reach. I bought both the Takom G6 and Trumpeter Type 87 AW kits together for less than what the Legend ADATS cost. I was also looking at the 1/35 resin Roland as well and again costs way too much for me. I hope to see your G6 with the ADATS on it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 05:36:12 AM »

... and there is that option.

To my eye, the chassis is a great platform for almost anything, MLRS, Laser platform. To be totally up to date perhaps even a Microwave Weapon emitter ?

Offline Ramba

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2020, 05:53:44 AM »
My plan is to fit the 20mm M61 Vulcan cannons to the turret. The M61 Vulcan gun barrels shown below are from the Academy M163 and the gun mounts are from the Tamiya Flakpanzer Gepard and are not the actual parts I will be using. These are only shown for illustrative purposes only. I haven't worked on the Type 87 AW parts yet. I will be using the gun mounts from the Trumpeter kit and I will also be using the Master M61 Vulcan metal barrels.

Here are the Master M61 Vulcan metal barrels.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 07:47:30 AM »
The G6 would also make an excellent replacement for that Aliens Franchise USCM M-577 APC with just a couple of tweaks.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2020, 08:17:19 AM »
The G6 would also make an excellent replacement for that Aliens Franchise USCM M-577 APC with just a couple of tweaks.  :smiley:

And the interior volume would match the exterior, unlike the Aliens APC.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 01:36:09 AM »
I like the twin vulcan idea.  Maybe also a couple of stingers in this sort of arrangement:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 02:04:49 AM »
I like the twin vulcan idea.  Maybe also a couple of stingers in this sort of arrangement:

Thanks for the Stinger images.

I have the Takom 1/35 Russian CADS-N-1 Kashtan and I was originally thinking of putting it on the G6 but the Kashtan is too big to fit on the G6. The Kashtan has a huge radar, twin rotary cannons with missiles and looks really cool but just couldn't fit it. Here is mine still in progress.

Here is the real Kashtan. As you can see, I still have a long way to go to finishing mine. Takom didn't include the rotary gun barrel  faces, they only included the gun barrel covers. If you leave the covers off, the gun barrels are hollow. In Takom's defense though, some Kashtans don't have the gun barrel faces on the end of the barrels as shown in the second photo.

I was also looking at getting the Italeri 1/35 Stinger Hummer but couldn't find one cheap. I only found one available on Ebay for over $51 USD shipped. The Stinger missiles on that kit would work perfectly.

There is also the Italeri 1/35 Anti Aircraft Armament Set which has an assortment of missiles like the Stinger and Starstreak but you only get one of each. I would need to buy 4 sets and that gets really expensive.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 02:10:20 AM by Ramba »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 02:29:17 AM »
What about something such as the AN/TWQ-1 Boeing Avenger - one might be able to split a pod in two?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2020, 02:34:40 AM »
@Ramba - Tamiya has an accessory set that includes two Stinger MANPAD along with some M16A2, M60E3 and main gun ammunition the M48A5/M60, M1A1.  The Italeri AA weapons set is a good source for the MANPAD systems but the Bushmaster is a POS.  The 12.7mm DSHK is nice and it has a decent AA ground mount. 

Scalemates.com > Tamiya (35141) 1:35th scale - Modern U.S. Accessory Set
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2020, 02:35:09 AM »
More inspiration: