Author Topic: 1/500 Bandai SB Yamato 2199  (Read 16542 times)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
Re: 1/500 Bandai SB Yamato 2199
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 12:10:24 PM »
Greetings and salutations

Things are progressing nicely. The main parts are all together and ready for final assembly. I am patiently waiting for the lighting boards to arrive so I can have them all wired up. Once they're in, it's the finishing line ahead.

So, starting with the main gun batteries, they're all done. I ended up gluing the barrels into position because they were wobbling around and falling off, which is not very conducive to a good display. I placed them in a position I liked and there they shall remain :)

Next up, I have sorted out the lighting for the main superstructure. I used 2 LED's instead of one to ensure maximum light coverage. Bandai have rather ingenious "plug" system for the LED to sit in. The one designed for it is obviously completely different, but it's easy enough to stick 2 LED's in place of the one for a much better result

I have also put together the bulk of the lower half of the ship and fed through all relevant fibers and put the respective fibers in place. I have also pre-washed the panels lines using Tamiya's Panel Line Wash which should make painting easier

I have also begun painting the top half. I've pre-shaded the panels using paper to ensure a nice straight line and used russet brown as well for some streaks. Once the paint is on, you won't see much of this - but it will help with giving tonal variations to to over all finish - I hope

Well, that's it for now, but I will take some more pics once the paint has gone on. Speaking of paint, I am going to do something slightly against the show and paint the inside of the Wave Motion gun in the same colour I have the engine nozzles - I think it looks quite awesome myself and much better than plain 'ol grey

Thanks for looking

MH
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2015, 08:24:48 AM »
I thought I would show you all how the paint work came out. I'm pretty happy with it. The brown did mostly disappear as expected but left gloss streaks underneath - which is what I was hoping for. It'll be a shame to loose it all once the clear coats go on, but that's the way it goes

As you can see above the bottom part of the hull has also had it's first coat of paint. The panel lines are not that strong in person, however, it seems that the camera disagrees with me, so I'll do another pass or two and then some post shading where needed.

As always, thanks for taking the time to have a look

MH

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2015, 08:48:48 AM »
Another eye popping masterclass.

Simon, this is a treat

Offline Goonie

• When the guy does a red tank, he does a RED tank!
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2015, 07:07:06 PM »
Another stunning beauty  :-*
sci-fi - the best legal antidote for reality

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2015, 09:46:09 PM »
This is magnificent  :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Steve Blazo

• The man likes white plastic...weird.
    • flickr
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2015, 07:17:47 AM »
WOW !! :D :D   The detail is crazy good and the paint matches it !! Awesome job !!   :-* :-*
As I walk through the valley of death,
I have no fear, because I am the meanest mother*ucker in the whole valley.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2015, 07:40:34 AM »
sorry for the lack of updates on this one. It hasn't moved since I last updated it and has been sitting in it's box patiently waiting for the lighting boards to arrive. Once they're here, I can resume and finish this off

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2015, 05:31:15 PM »
greetings once again

With the impending arrival of my lighting boards, I thought it a good chance to make sure everything is still working as it should. Most of it does and continues to do so - however, the rear main battery gun wasn't working at all, no matter what I did. So, I had to take it carefully apart and inspect. All parts were still there and attached but none of the SMD's would light up.

So, drastic action then ensued and the easy part of changing out the barrel SMD's went without a hitch. The range finders though were a totally different kettle of fish. Because of the way I had originally installed them, there was not way in hell I was going to be able to replace them in the same manner. So I've had to be a bit creative and use fiber optics- namely, the 2mm fiber. However, again because of the design of the kit I had to try something different and heat them gently to create a 90 degree bend. Then the fun part - actually getting them installed. I did it, albeit a bit messy but they're in there and work really well. A 5mm Green LED inside the turret supplies the light for them.

Mr Surfacer takes care of light leaks and gaps and then it's off to the paint shop for a re-spray

Still trying to work out the best way to run the wiring out from the bottom of the ship to the base and still have the ship removable, and also trying to find room on the actual base itself for the buttons. Might need to make some mods to the bottom of the base. Will see how that works out.

More to come soon

MH

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2015, 03:15:37 AM »
That is intense, having never built a lighted model, I never thought about the daunting task of sealing everything up!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 08:34:29 PM »
I received my lighting boards today - and all I can say is WOW! Talk about nicely packaged. Warren even did up a little label for the box :) It's the small touches like this that make it ..... feel nice and professional

All the boards come in their own individually labeled bags and are very nicely soldered etc - each complete with screw terminals - so no soldering connections required

It also came with very comprehensive instructions that I've had to seek clarification on a couple of times - and that's more because of me being a technical dunce rather than the instructions themselves.

In some ways, I really hope Warren makes this a lighting kit to sell to others because it really is worth the small(!) cost but my selfish side loves the fact I have something no one else does :D

A huge thanks to Warren from Tirydium models for his unwavering help here.
MH

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2015, 06:20:15 PM »
time for a quick update.

Now that the boards are here, I can gauge what needs to go where etc and it's back to hacking and cutting to allow the electronics to go in

I have also cemented my decision to fix the ship to the base permanently and run the cables through the stand legs. I have cut some covers to go over the legs once they are done

I have also installed the 2 buttons into the stand which activate the main batteries and Wavemotion gun and the power jack is on the other side.

I had to cut away a fair amount to be able to get them in but they look nice and neat sitting there. I was going to use a lit button but that was proving to be just too hard to get in

I am yet to install an on/off switch but I shall do that shortly

I have also installed the lighting boards for the engine and the Wave Gun The Engine works beautifully and I am yet to test the Wave gun, but I am more than confident that it will work as specified

Well, that's it for now but I'll be back soon enough with another update

Thanks for looking
MH

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2015, 06:24:03 PM »
Well I am sold, that light kit looks ace.

Once again your work is  most excellent

Offline Goonie

• When the guy does a red tank, he does a RED tank!
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2015, 06:29:40 PM »
(...) The Engine works beautifully and I am yet to test the Wave gun, but I am more than confident that it will work as specified
Now thats sounds way too scary  ;D
Give us at least a few minutes to pack up and run for our lives  :D

Except that, can't wait to see the grand finale  :)
sci-fi - the best legal antidote for reality

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2015, 06:03:32 PM »
hahah - I  hadn't read it that way when I wrote it, but not you mention it, it does seem rather concerning :)
I spent most of this afternoon getting the boards in etc. After re-reading the instructions, I got it all to go together - well, almost all of it

I was about to install the main batteries when I  realised that none of them were working properly yet again. Anyway, I finally put it down to not scraping the copper wires enough but by then I had already taken the guns apart and for the third time, re-engineered them. I have had to order some different SMD's for the job, but what I did was drill out the base of the barrel and I will feed the SMD in from the muzzle and stop it about half way down.

I experiments with Fiber Optics but found they just weren't bright enough. I should have done it the final way the first time! Would have saved me all this hassle

I also worked out how I am going to secure the ship to the base and that is with screws through the legs and into the ship. I have already checked it out the back end and it works nicely.

The super structure is also wired in but here is where I think I  will either cry or just swallow it - Okita's cabin light is now no more and I can not replace the SMD. I wired it all in and did a check to see if the lights all work etc and I shorted it out because I forgot to put on a resistor.  :icon_sueno:  Serves me right for loosing concentration at a time when I really needed it

Well, that'll be it now for a couple of weeks until the new SMD's arrive and I get the rest of the lights installed. If anyone has any ideas what so ever about what to do with the top cabin, I am all ears

Thanks for looking

MH

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2015, 09:18:13 AM »
Hi, I finally have an update for you. Apologies for the delay - things came to a halt after I needed more SMD's for the main batteries. They are all here and now everything is all packed inside and after a small hitch with the wrong switch type, I have tested it and everything works as it should.
I'm on the home stretch now. Last bit of tidying up paint here and there, the final weathering and it's done

I'm also having a bit of fun with one of the Seagull's that come with it. I hollowed out the cockpit area, then drilled out the windows and carefully filed them back nice and neat, wrangled in an SMD and threw it in. I also made a small cockpit that fits inside so it doesn't look like an empty space. The Engines were also carefully drilled out and an SMD placed at the rear. I also cut off the tails because they were just too thick. New ones were cut up to shape. Once it's all done, I'll have it flying alongside the Yamato :)

that's it now until the final pictures. Thanks for looking
MH

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2015, 09:38:16 AM »
Excellent pictures for looking at details of your excellent build. :)
Based on your working with the kit:  does it seem you could cut off and place upper half of hull on conventional floating hull ?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2015, 09:10:08 AM »
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:12:19 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2015, 11:38:59 AM »
Thanks guys
Not sure you could make it with a standard hull due to the scale (1/500), but I guess you could. Wouldn't make much sense to do that though being as its a scifi subject and if you wanted a yamato that floats, you'd just buy a ww2 kit of it.  :))

Offline finsrin

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2015, 12:05:39 PM »
After a closer look, appears easier to cleanup and mod kit hull to be fit for water.
Build as 1/700 mega battleship !
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:50:22 PM by finsrin »

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2015, 11:57:44 AM »
Well, I 'm calling this one done. I'm pretty with how everything came out in the end. Everything works as it should, so extra plus for me right there

I took a fair few pics, so I won't paste all of them here, but I'll post a link to the entire album. One day, when I can figure out how to use a video camera properly and find a way to edit and upload it, I will

Thanks to those who tuned into the WIP

http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/madhatta/slideshow/1%20500%20SBY%20Yamato/finished

As always, thanks for looking
MH
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 07:15:56 PM by Madhatter »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2015, 12:04:46 PM »
Beautiful!!  Superb job there and the shots in black look "all alone in the night", to borrow from one season's intro to B5.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2015, 01:18:08 PM »
Gorgeous !!!!
Words fail  :o

What is your source of the Surface Mount Diodes again.. gotta get me some o dem

Offline finsrin

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2015, 02:23:25 PM »
YES -- WOW, WOW, WOW    Words do fail  :o :-*
Your excellent photo coverage is also appreciated.
Looks like can be bashed into an Earthly oceans going battleship.  Lot of cutting and filling and etc...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2015, 02:32:17 AM »
Wow!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2015, 08:35:31 PM »
cheers guys - glad you like it.
I'm still not entirely sold on the photos though. I was playing with the editing section in Photophucket and those are the results

Brian, I get the SMD's from a guy on eBay. Search for pre-wired SMD and he's the first one who comes up (user name is "eve-"something - I'm not on my home PC ATM). He is quite cheap too - 15 x 0402 @ about $18 with free postage is a pretty good buy to me. Especially when you consider that JayCar charge $8 for a single 5mm LED!!

Si