Author Topic: Royal Navy Supermarine Swift  (Read 2442 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
Royal Navy Supermarine Swift
« on: April 27, 2020, 07:33:54 AM »
Something I've been working on for years is a navalised Supermarine Swift. Pulled it back out from a drawer a while ago and started it again. Cockpit is coming together, and I've got basic interior bits on the go.

Baby steps. Instrument panel started, with reflective gun sight.

Ejection seat

Head rest

Creating seat cushions. Some thick foil from a wine bottle seal. Crumple it up a bit...

Glue it to the seat and give it some pokes with a round toothpick...

And here's the seat. Not perfect by any means, but it'll do for me. The photos on Thunder and Lightnings show a sort of tan colour to the cushions, Tamiya Flat Flesh seemed like a close approximation. The belts are also wine bottle foil, photos show that the seat belts were grey and the shoulder belts white.

"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Royal Navy Supermarine Swift
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 09:34:40 AM »
Hard to imagine that you created that wee little gem of an ejection seat from scrap plastic and metal foil.  Excellent work.  My fat fingers are jealous.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 10:23:06 AM »
I'm with Jeff.   WOW job like making something so fine/intricate out of nothing.   :o  :smiley:

Heck, with skills like this you could put props and landing gear on 1/700 aircraft.

Offline The Rat

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 12:18:19 PM »
Thanks, I seem to have gotten lucky with this one, previous efforts have never looked as good.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline The Rat

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 11:17:59 AM »

Offline The Rat

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 03:07:34 AM »
Fuselage halves are together, and more swearing. I've placed the seat a little too far back, with the result that in real life the canopy probably wouldn't close. But since this will be an open canopy build I'll just go for the overall look rather than absolute accuracy, and hope nobody notices. Also noticed while sanding down the bottom seam that I completely forgot to make accommodation for the arrestor hook, so I'll have to carve that out now.

Not going to worry about detailing inside the wing fold, that would be more than I'm capable of. Holes have been drilled for hinges, which will be made from a paper clip.

Offline The Rat

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 11:04:33 AM »
Coming together. Rough paint job on the outer wing pieces, it'll smooth out after a few coats. Gunze H83 is going to stand in for Extra Dark Sea Grey on top.

Offline The Rat

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 07:31:23 AM »
Outer wing panels are being temporarily re-attached in order to get the decals cut in the right places.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 08:11:12 AM »
 :smiley: :smiley:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 02:20:15 AM »
Interesting fact:  a predecessor to the Swift, the Vickers Supermarine Type 517, did conduct trials on HMS Illustrious in Nov 1950:

Perhaps this could be the trigger that led to an operational Naval Swift?

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline The Rat

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 02:48:39 AM »
Interesting fact:  a predecessor to the Swift, the Vickers Supermarine Type 517, did conduct trials on HMS Illustrious in Nov 1950:

Perhaps this could be the trigger that led to an operational Naval Swift?

It may get written in to the back story...

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 04:59:11 AM »
Intricate interesting build.  Well on your way.  Looking good.
Had same kit decades ago.