Author Topic: The Helwan Ibis 2010  (Read 2097 times)

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
The Helwan Ibis 2010
« on: September 18, 2017, 12:41:58 AM »
In the year 2000, the Egyptian government decided that in order to have more leverage in negotiations with their arms suppliers, Egypt must be able to supply major items for itself.  The 1960s attempt to build the Spanish HA-300 was reviewed, this was of course scuppered by soviet threats and bribes in order to keep Egypt as a main customer.   It was decided that the Helwan aircraft factories would build a design of Egyptian origins, (although with employees from elsewhere with design and build experience) control of which would be kept at no less than 75% Egyptian.

The aim was to field a strike fighter in 2010, although this slipped into January 2016 which was no real surprise, and in fact was a supreme effort to achieve customer delivery in sixteen years from scratch.

With a strong lean toward the older Sukhoi designs,  (SU9 Fishpot fuselage) a new wing was derived from the original F16, (Mitsubishi F2) and an engine with strong western influence were combined (with a nose cone from a Meteor NF11) to arrive at the Ibis 2010.

Although capable of mach 1.6 and 55,000 feet, the prime area of operations for the Ibis is low level and sub sonic.  A Buccaneer like range at high subsonic speeds also gives great range with a good load, which includes applied Russian and western ordnance.

As a fighter the Ibis is a little lacking, better close in than the Mig 23, not quite so good as the Mig 21, but longer range missiles combined with a radar very strong performance means the Ibis does not have to wait for the classic knife fight in a phone box scenario.

Although Egypt did order 36 (24 single & 12 twin seat), this was delayed to deliver to a most welcome overseas order for the same amount from Manicstan.  This aircraft is the first single seat production model, in customer colours but retained as part of the deal,  to display at airshows during the summer of 2016.
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Helwan Ibis 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 05:54:57 PM »
Those are some mighty fine mods topped off with a wicked camo scheme!

Well done, Mr Flyer!

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 12:40:16 AM »
Looks good - it reminds me of a modernized  Saab 32 Lansen

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 02:01:45 AM »
Very Nice Mr. Porcine Aviator!  :smiley:
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 03:04:53 AM »
Thanks guys, glad you approve.
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 12:52:42 AM »
Reading/seeing this, I did not know what to think: is this a true prototype? a true project? a funny delirium?
I asked Google and got no other answer than here, so... this is a homemade invention, congratulations! :-* ;)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 10:39:59 PM »
Thanks pigflyer for the explanations I received in PM. If you do not say it here, I guess the explanation is a top secret prototype, shht... I will say nothing, that is a solemn promess. ;)