Author Topic: The Durante 1 Fighter - A Small Speck of a Tale in 1/72 Scale  (Read 4376 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The Durante 1 Fighter - A Small Speck of a Tale in 1/72 Scale
« on: January 26, 2017, 07:30:35 AM »

Jimmy Durante was a famous Hollywood star, but his foray into aeronautics has long been forgotten.

In the early 1930's he came up with a design for a sleek, new fighter of monocoque construction with a cantilever wing featuring a pair of the scariest spatted landing gear yet conceived.

He presented his concept to the U.S. Army Air Corps, confident huge orders would be forthcoming for the new streamlined wonder.

The hide-bound Air Corps board of course rejected such an outlandishly modern and capable aircraft.

Not one to be easily deterred, Mr. Durante shopped his radical new fighter around to other countries.

He started with the larger nations and continued to work his way down to the smaller ones as his design was rejected again and again by various air arms all over the world.

Eventually he made his way to Europe and ended out in Speckovakia. You've never heard of Speckovakia? Maybe a map will help.

Still can't find it? Try this:

The minuscule land of Speckovakia, hemmed in by far larger countries for centuries, was thrilled to be able to add a modern fighter to their tiny air force. Thus the Speckovakian Durante One or Dur-1 was born.

The new aircraft was the last word in sleek. Powered by an inverted inline engine and featuring an enclosed cockpit and twin machine-gun armament, it was rumored the Dur-1 may never have to fire its guns in anger, so intimidating was its spatted undercarriage.

Production was undertaken by the nationalized Speckovakian Aircraft Factory in Speck who amazingly enough, rolled out the first service-test prototype just in time for things to heat up in Europe.

The Dur-1 was luckily posted to air defense of the Speckovakian capitol, Speck. And none too soon as the international political situation was about to boil over.

Given the fuselage number 3179 in naive hope of making folks think there were over 3,000 of the things, the Dur-1 flew rigorous patrols and soon became a common sight in the skies over Speck.

The Dur-1's only action even distantly approximating combat occurred in the spring of 1935 when it and every other Speckovakian aircraft was scrambled to intercept what seemed a mighty host of enemy attackers.

Fortunately for the tiny land of Speckovakia and its even tinier capitol Speck, the aerial invaders turned out to be less threatening than expected.

The enormous air raid on Speck turned out to be just wayward doves released by Austria celebrating the signing of the Balognia accords ("What a bunch of baloney!" according to the Paris Matchless-American) with Italy.

This would be the Dur-1's great shining moment. Eventually, over 17 of the cutting-edge aircraft were built and went on to serve without distinction for many years until replaced by a more modern type after W.W. II.

If it was remembered at all, the Dur-1 would be noted as one of the few spatted aircraft to serve throughout W.W. II. Speckovakia was so insignificant it was ignored by all the great powers and survived the conflict unscathed.

No Dur-1's survive today. All that is left is this limited-run resin kit and the lingering question if it was really those spats that kept Speckovakia safe.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 08:13:49 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Durante 1 Fighter - A Small Speck of a Tale in 1/72 Scale
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 07:59:56 AM »
This all began with a resin VEF I-16 Frank3k included in a box of orphan kits he kindly sent me recently. If this one looks familiar, there's a good reason. You might have seen it posted a while back.

This was a dual effort. I wish I could take the credit for the build quality, but aside from adding the guns and prop, most of the work was already very expertly done by Frank. Here's how it looked when I got it.

Frank said he lost the original prop but included a replacement. While I liked the prop, I found another one in the spares box.

I thought that spinner added to the sleek look.

I sent Frank a pic of the mock-up and he said it reminded him of Jimmy Durante. So not only can you credit Frank for the build quality, but also for sparking the idea behind the backstory! Here's how it looked after paint.

...and with the prop attached.

Speaking of paint, the model was done with the old hairy stick and acrylics, Polly Scale War Pac Gray on the uppers and RAF Sky on the lowers. Model Masters Steel was used on the engine and Aluminum on the prop spinner.

Decals were a mix from spares. The ones on top of the wing took three separate markings and the ones on the underside needed two.

I had a whale of a time on this model which only took a few days of actual bench time.

The ironic thing is that I ended up painting the model pretty close to the color of the original resin. Sometimes things just work out that way.

I'd like to thank Frank for sending me this neat model and for inspiring the story too. I hope you enjoyed the Dur-1 and reading another tiny footnote to aeronautical history. Here's one last shot highlighting those incredibly fearsome spats!

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 08:04:35 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 10:12:56 AM »
*laughs softly* Beautiful model, both of you, and quite the inspired backstory.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 10:25:12 AM »
once again.. magnificent

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 12:29:01 PM »
 ;D ;D ;) :) Always so good!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 01:00:45 AM »
Looks great, Brian! Big improvement! The Speckovakian decals looks good!

! No longer available

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 01:08:37 AM »
I do wish you would put up a warning when you release these fearsome spats on us poor, unsuspecting whiffers. Love the history lesson, but now need
to have a rub down with the radio times in a dark room.
(Btw, does your nurse know you put these on-line?)

;)  :-\  ;D

Ian
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 08:21:27 AM »
Brian:

I have completely run out of spatitudes for your nonstop awesome builds and back stories. All I can say is don't stop what you doing.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:26:18 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 01:53:56 PM »
So good, once more! :-*

Offline ed s

• An outstanding, creative builder.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 07:42:30 AM »
Another great model and super story.

Great work.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 10:16:10 AM »
So, were emigrants from Speckovakia the ones who settled the small (very!) town of Flyspeck in the Western USA?

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 10:00:56 AM »
That was a nice little fighter for little Speckovakia.  Their national markings are fitting for the country.
Good job on another historical niche aircraft. :)
Now that you mentioned Jimmy, seems I heard he was later hired by Bell to help with X-3 development.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 11:25:19 AM »
Now that you mentioned Jimmy, seems I heard he was later hired by Bell to help with X-3 development.
Err, wouldn't that be Douglas, not Bell?  The X-3 Stiletto was a Douglas product.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 03:07:43 PM »
Err, wouldn't that be Douglas, not Bell?  The X-3 Stiletto was a Douglas product.
Ooops,,,,  Yes, you be correct it was "Douglas" X-3 that Jimmy contributed to.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:52:58 PM by finsrin »