Author Topic: The Monochrome Jet - A Whittle Tale in 1/72 Scale  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The Monochrome Jet - A Whittle Tale in 1/72 Scale
« on: January 27, 2017, 06:51:47 PM »

Frank Whittle worked on his famous jet without pause during W.W. II. Once the war ended, he took a long overdue vacation.

While most of Europe had been ravaged by the conflict, there were small, untouched enclaves. That's how Mr. Whittle found himself in the micro-nation of the Monochrome Republic.

Seeing things only in black and white, the Monochrome Republic felt threatened on all sides. First and foremost, the tiny country needed a robust, modern air defense.

Fortunately, Frank Whittle soon tired of the usual tourist traps. He was itching to get back to work after only a few weeks of taking in the sights and the local Monochrome color (black and white, mostly). While enjoying an evening of wine, women & song hosted by the government air bureau, he was easily convinced to bring the Monochrome Republic's air force into the jet age.

Within six months, a sleek, new jet-powered prototype emerged for flight trials and went on to exceed all expectations, which admittedly weren't high as the current fighter defense consisted of re-built Messerschmitts and Yaks that crashed in the tiny country during the war.

Officially designated the Monochrome One Whittle Jet, this nomenclature would be shortened to what history barely recorded as the Mono-1 WJ. Unfortunately this was mis-reported in the west as an outbreak of infectious mononucleosis which may have caused the revolutionary aircraft to be forgotten. Powered by the Whittle W.1 & 1/3rd jet engine and heavily armed with two .303 guns mounted ahead of the cockpit and two 27 mm cannon housed in aerodynamic under-wing fairings, the aircraft also featured the latest in streamlining in the form of a low, perspex bubble canopy that offered excellent all-around vision for the pilot.

In that fateful year of 1947, the Russian Bear began dominating eastern Europe under Stalin's steely gaze. Large countries such as Poland and Ruritania soon were engulfed by the red tide. Fending off this Soviet surge seemed impossible but the Monochromians pinned their hopes on the new jet fighter.

Due to the urgent situation, the prototype was pressed into service immediately after flight trials and given the fuselage code 2833 in an attempt to deceive Stalin's agents into reporting that there were over 2,000 of the things defending the small country.

Strangely enough, this kept the Red Menace at bay and ushered in an era of peace and prosperity for the Monochrome Republic. It became one of the first countries to have a nation-wide television network in 1948.

Unfortunately, since the Monochrome Republic has a tendency to view things only in black and white, to this day none of the programming is broadcast in color.

Which can lead to great disappointment for those visitors who find themselves a captive audience.

The Mono-1 WJ served for almost a half-decade until replaced by more modern types under the aegis of the U.S. M.A.P. or Military Assistance Program.

While over 19 of the Mono-1 WJs were eventually built, none survive today and the aircraft is perennially over-looked by even the most obsessive airplane geeks. The only remnant of this once-proud defender of Monochrome air-space is a short-run Guessaguess kit which was available only at IPMS regional swap meets in the early 1980's.

While Frank Whittle's time in the Monochrome Republic has been ignored by each and every one of his biographers, it seems rather fitting that his only foreign design has also sunk into the mists of ignominy.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:43:44 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Monochrome Jet - A Whittle Tale in 1/72 Scale
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 07:46:50 PM »
This all began with another shipment of orphan kits this time generously sent by the Big Gimper all the way from the Great White North. Included was a 1/72 MPM N1K1 George. I trashed the pre-crushed box before discovering there's very little about this kit online. The best I could find was a YouTube kit preview. You'll probably want to mute the thrash-metal musical accompaniment.

While this kit may be one of MPM's earlier efforts and looks a bit rough, it's fine if one approaches it like a short-run kit. Once I discovered the left-over intake from a MiG-17 was a good fit, the rest was easy. I replaced the brittle kit vac canopy with a P-80 drop-tank half and chopped the tail to accept a burner can cut from a drinking straw. Here's how things looked before putty & paint.

One interesting feature of this kit is that the landing gear doors were photo-etch. My enviable PE skillz are most embarrassingly evident in this shot.

This one highlights the bendy drinking-straw burner can.

The last mod was the under-wing gun fairings which were made from Airfix Mosquito bomb halves and then I hauled this beast off to the paint shop.

Speaking of paint, the model was finished with the old hairy stick and acrylics, Model Masters Primer Gray mostly. Aluminum was used on the intake. Gun Metal was used on the guns and Jet Exhaust used on the jet exhaust, oddly enough. The canopy was tinted in Model Masters Semi-Gloss Black with a top-coat of Liquitex Artist's Gloss Medium to make it all nice & shiny.

Decals were cobbled together from spares, the wing markings coming from a sheet for a Roden Fokker D.VIII and the fuselage codes were swiped from an Airfix A-4 Skyhawk. The fin flashes are wing-walks defaced with a hand-painted white squiggle.

It only took four days for me to put this all together and I had a blast the entire time!

Here's a few shots taken with the flash off.

For comparison:

I'd like to thank Mr. Gimper for the box of orphans and especially for this N1K1 which led to one of the smoothest builds I've done recently despite the short-run nature kit.

I hope you enjoyed the story of the Monochrome Republic's first jet fighter and reading a little more forgotten history which for once has few shades of gray and is very much in black and white.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:47:48 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 12:52:50 AM »
Nice looking jet, Brian! Little did the Monochromians know that their jet came with an air to air radar in the intake! That must have surprised the Russkie adversaries!

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 02:34:29 AM »
 :-* Wonderful!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 03:36:36 AM »
Cute
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 08:12:46 AM »
No spats?????
Nice job. Glad to hear you have so much fun with these!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 02:32:15 AM »
No spats?????

Being immediately post war, the great world spat shortage was still in effect.  The Monochrome Republic was not immune to this.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 03:07:06 PM »
No spats?????

Being immediately post war, the great world spat shortage was still in effect.  The Monochrome Republic was not immune to this.
Have I invented yesterday the jetplane with spats? at http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=22.900 or are there some ones in the World here outside my brains?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 04:37:04 PM »
Typically insane. :-\

Love it! ;D

:) :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 04:38:06 PM »
Little did I know, but makes perfect sense.
The monochrome radar screens used for years are ideal for this jet !

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 06:40:57 PM »
Little did I know, but makes perfect sense.
The monochrome radar screens used for years are ideal for this jet !

In which developing country do you think they were made? ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 07:28:34 AM »
Great save Brian. You did a better save than I ever could.

But all I see is rgb(0,0,0) and rgb(255,255,255).  ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 07:57:55 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...